Votes: 41 19.9%
  • Metal Slug 3

Votes: 87 42.2%
  • Metal Slug 4

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Metal Slug 5

Votes: 12 5.8%

• Total voters
This poll is impossible for me to answer. My favorite slug is usually the one i'm playing.

I've played 1,3,4 in their entirety.

I love 1 for its military feel, really great bosses, and much of it reminds me of a run n gun ver of Iron Tank.

I love 3 for its epic feel, that it has a small story to it, and the music is totally great. Plus its long as all hell, alot of bang for its buck.

I love 4 because its fairly straight forward, and the bossess are cool once again. Great music (albiet its mono)

I can't vote on this until I play MS5 b/c I expect it to be better than all of these (due to its music mostly)

Metal Slug 2

It has to be slug 2, and does anyone know why there is a baby crawling around when you blow up the covered truck on the first level?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Re: Metal Slug 2

Airdoggydawg said:
It has to be slug 2, and does anyone know why there is a baby crawling around when you blow up the covered truck on the first level?

There's no reason for it, it's just one of those little goodies that look nice and make the game unique.

Btw., you can let the baby dance on a few of your grenades... :cool:

ShikiMikoto

Mature's Make-up Artist
Takumaji said:
At the mo I'm really interested in playing a few rounds of Slug 5, I hope it's not as half-assed as 4.

WEll, Slug 5 is 300x worse than MS4 in my opinion, so that must make it full-assed. But you're welcome to try, of course.

You're right about MS3 though, despite how much I think it rocks, it doesn't flow as well as MS1 or MS2/X did.

kaos

I'm a stealthy Ghost-like pimp daddy bitch, yo!
In this period I have a strong unesplicable MSX addiction
so I voted for it

anyway I still dont own 1 & 2 on AES yet
I have 1 on Saturn and is still damn good
but I'm sure something is missing

so atm I'll say

MSX
MS3
MS1 (Saturn)
MS4

While it doesn't have the bells & whistles of #3, or some of the WTF? type deals of #4 (Haven't played #5 yet)... I would say my favorite is still the original METAL SLUG just for the military vs. military FEEL of the game, but that's me.

MD20XX / Storm Rider

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
I am just like the above poster where my favorite is usually the one I am playing at the time, so I went with 2. Overall, it is a lot of fun, and the aliens were definately an unexpected twist after MS1.

RVF400

Host for Orochi
MegaDrive 20XX said:
While it doesn't have the bells & whistles of #3, or some of the WTF? type deals of #4 (Haven't played #5 yet)... I would say my favorite is still the original METAL SLUG just for the military vs. military FEEL of the game, but that's me.

MD20XX / Storm Rider

i totally agree, its what the game is supposed to be about, now its just a little silly with aliens and zombies etc.

i want real war, the first one felt like a comedy rambo in vietnam!

SHO

Raiden's Valet
Electroman said:
This poll is impossible for me to answer. My favorite slug is usually the one i'm playing.

which makes it a good poll

if we all know the answer, there isnt much point of a poll

i love all the slug... i personally can't decide which is my fav... so i decide... lets do a poll..........

just vote ... which one YOU THINK is the best... there is no definate answer

madyorkie

Rugal's Thug
For me it has to be metal slug 1, closely followed by 2 then 4. MsX is ok but has to many mummy dogs or whatever they are in it for my liking, Ms3 is ok but i think it started to lose its metal slug feel towards the end and went more like a last resort/aso2 type of game, but have to agree that 5 is definately the worse..to many levels are based inside buildings, some crappy background graphics, no story, the last boss? whats that all about, beats me. I think with 5 they tried to copy ms3 in to many ways.
Mind you there isn't a bad slug game anyway. Roll on slug 6 :D

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
I love Metal Slug 4 but it's fu**ing cheap man! I can't reach the 3rd level without losing a life!!:very_ang:

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Tristesse said:
I love Metal Slug 4 but it's fu**ing cheap man! I can't reach the 3rd level without losing a life!!:very_ang:

Want me to send you a video of me getting to the 5th boss without losing a life?

SHO said:
which makes it a good poll

if we all know the answer, there isnt much point of a poll

i love all the slug... i personally can't decide which is my fav... so i decide... lets do a poll..........

just vote ... which one YOU THINK is the best... there is no definate answer

Well your 'vote' of confidence helps. However I still cannot decide on a favorite. But I will say this:
MS1.
+: Can shoot more nonplayable stuff, SFX like scaling of the dead troops (level 3 when the building crumbles down) and stretching FX of the stageframes (on level 6). Also for the fact that the enemy troops can climb on your tank slug and literally beat your own machine gun off of the tank. Also, there is nothing but military goodness throughout. Super original work all around.

-: Lame last boss, only 2 char's to choose from (understandable since it was the first installment, just a nitpick)

MS3.
+: Harder than the rest of the slugs, creative bosses, the extremely great music, detail, and story. It is everything good that MS is. Zombie stage is THE best stage in all of Slugdom.
-: Level 6 should start at the V-scroll schmup level(big problem), and alot of alien crap.

MS4.
+: Great music , sans the mono of it all, good level design (we know why, don't we), and its short n sweet (but challenging). Some cool bosses in it too. Very pick up n playable. Gallery feature when you get the good ending. Also 2 endings. Snow stage is the 2nd best level in all of Slugdom. Its just too cool to ride on top of the log pile.
-: Rehash city, and the final boss while I adore the Megaman-likeness of it all, it seems out of place.

I owned MS3 first, and was floored by it. Then I owned MS4, then, ahem... a fakie MS1. I was very impressed with MS4's music and level design, and MS1's originality.

I want to buy MS2 and MSX to round out my collection at some point and judging how you guys favor these 2 games, I should have a friggin ball with them.

So up to now I'd vote for MS3 as the best, then MS1, then MS4. And again I group these very very close together.

Thanks for reading. I'll vote on the poll now.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
i really don't understand why so many people say slug 4 is shit..

i love it...i think is just as good as the 3rd one... then again i can't decide which one is the best :p

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
dmhawkmoon said:
Want me to send you a video of me getting to the 5th boss without losing a life?

I only own MSN or Soulseek to get movies so if you've got one of these...

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Wow, tons of Slug 5 hate... that is really really odd. I voted for 1, simply because it is such a classic game, however it was a hard choice. For me the tier would be something like:

MS1
MS2
MS3
MS5
MSX
MS4

Not to say any of them are bad... actually they are all very very good, but 1 and 2 are special to me... 3 is great, but way to long. 5 is wonderful, but a bit to short... And X never really was the special to me because I played 2 to death... as for 4, honestly I've spent little time with it, not a bad game, but not a great slug,

-Nick

nruva said:
Wow, tons of Slug 5 hate... -Nick

well remember, some NG.com members are known for loving any sort of new game on the horizon but hating every new release that comes out... until 2 years later when the game they couldn't wait for, then hated becomes a sheer classic in their eyes, to which they defend to the death in the SNK War Room.

Another note... As mentioned in a few replies above, when I played MS1 the other day, I noticed some enemy troops climbed my tank and proceeded to bang it with hammers or whatever. This popped my machine gun off the tank.

Is this the only Slug that has this feature?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
slug 1 has loads of stuf like that.. you'll find something new every time you play.

thats why it is best.

gemen

Mickey's Coach
I voted for MS3, few days ago, and was thinking the struggle will be between X and 3. Well I am wrong, there are many MS1 support. I am going to put MS1 back in my cab.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Electroman said:
Zombie stage is THE best stage in all of Slugdom.

I'd be interested to hear why you think this is the best level in any slug game. Personally i find it boring (though challengin). I have to go to work but i'll write more about my dislike of this level later on.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Tristesse said:
I only own MSN or Soulseek to get movies so if you've got one of these...

No I don't.. The only way I transfer files is on AIM...

Lagduf said:
I'd be interested to hear why you think this is the best level in any slug game. Personally i find it boring (though challengin). I have to go to work but i'll write more about my dislike of this level later on.

reasons why I think zombie stage is the best:
1.) You know that "Jungh Jungh Jungh" metal chords just as the level starts up? Well that's so catchy (as well as the entire BGM) that I have a habit of playing that very same "Jungh Jungh Jungh" guitars in my head on the start of every metal slug level, regardless of the game version.

2.) The combo of the BGM and the dark nighttime graphics, and how nicely the BGM tunes match the flow of the animation of your 'zombie' character.

3.) The cave sublevel is always fun to play. And riding back with the Mastodon, zapping the fuck out of the baddies is definately worth the bother.

4.) You get to be a zombie, and use it on the boss.

5.) Cool boss too, great music (in phase 1).

6.) Thundercloud + president

My 6 reasons why I like that level the most. :)

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
No love for 5 eh, wonder if that's cause it's not what it could have been or because none of us have played it yet.