KOF 98 Combos

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Diavle18
Personally, I think we shouldn't put the vids on the site because in a way you are promoting emulation. Not really a big deal but some people bitch a lot about this kind of stuff.
Some may bitch, but who cares.

I think the combination of pics, descriptions and video clips makes for the perfect guide. It's certainly a lot easier to learn how to do something if you've seen it done, instead of just reading how to do it.

about the credit. that sounds great Takumaji. But make our names or whatever not so visible if possible. This way we aren't throwing our names in the visiter's face and asking for gratitude like a lot of other sites like to do (they bold it and everything).
I agree, it isn't really a big deal.

This was done out of fun and the want to educate, so a simple 'thanks' is all I really care about.

And I know I've been sort of slacking the past week, but I fully intend on contributing much more than I already have. Whatever help you need, whether it be with more combo vids, strategies, or anything, I'll be happy to try and help.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
About pro/contra emulation, I'm really not into it at all. At first I wanted to use mpegs but they're so huge. I can't even watch the Kawaks vids myself because I don't have the program installed, and I guess it wouldn't run properly on my lame-ass P200 anyway.

The pics already tell most ppl that they have been made using emulation, so the Kawaks vid files shouldn't be a big deal.

On the other hand, if we'd cover new games like RotD or even Matrimelee and would offer emu vids for them, we'd kinda encourage ppl to download the rom of a brand-new game to watch them, so I guess we shouldn't offer Kawaks vids or anything like that for the newer stuff.

I'm open for discussion about this. If you ppl think that it pushes the whole thing into the wrong direction, I wouldn't have a problem deleting the links. However, I guess making the vids was quite some work so we should hear what SonGohan thinks about this.

Comments welcome.

About the credits, well, I don't intend to present them with all bells and whistles anyway, just a simple "submitted by:" and "screenshots by:" on the bottom of each combo page should do the trick.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Yeah, let Songohan decide but it might just be a little thorn in our backs. I might be completely wrong about this though, you never know.

Hey, do you guys plan to do only KOF98 or other games as well? If you are planning to do more games then how many combos are you planning to do per character before you move on (we can always return and add more)?

<small>[ July 25, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Takumaji:
On the other hand, if we'd cover new games like RotD or even Matrimelee and would offer emu vids for them, we'd kinda encourage ppl to download the rom of a brand-new game to watch them, so I guess we shouldn't offer Kawaks vids or anything like that for the newer stuff.

I'm open for discussion about this. If you ppl think that it pushes the whole thing into the wrong direction, I wouldn't have a problem deleting the links. However, I guess making the vids was quite some work so we should hear what SonGohan thinks about this.

Comments welcome.

About the credits, well, I don't intend to present them with all bells and whistles anyway, just a simple "submitted by:" and "screenshots by:" on the bottom of each combo page should do the trick.
Not trying to derail this combo thread, I guess you could try to just block access to certain videos or make them downloadable only with a passoword to certain users.

I really dunno what should be done, but *we're* trying to make videos just for the sake of gameplay for the most players out there.

btw, you have some hard to pull-off Saisyu and Takuma combos on your site man ! smirk

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Here are the combos I have taken shots of so far:

CLARK 0:

- F+B, QCF QCF+K

CLARK 1:

- jD, sC (1-hit), Tap P rapidly

CLARK 2:

- jD, sC, QCB QCB+P

CLARK 3:

- jA, sC (1-hit), QCF+K, QCF+P (follow-up)

IORI 0:

- cB, cA, QCB+P*3

IORI 1:

- sB, F+A (1-hit), QCB+K

IORI 2:

- sB, F+A (2-hits), QCF QCB+P

IORI 3:

- Cross-up with BACK+B, cA, QCF F+A (Scum Gale), Run forward, sC, F+A (1-hit) QCB+P*3
Note: The timing on this one is somewhat tough, you have to quickly run up after the grab move before the stun wears off.

KING 0 (Corner):

- sD (1-hit), DP+P, (when opponent still in air) QCB+K

KYO 0 (Corner):

- jD, sD, QCF+D+D, QCF+B+B, ReverseDP+B
Note: You have to time QCF+B+B so that it connects when the opponent has fallen about half way down the screen. Both the hits should connect. The timing on the R.A.D kick is hard as well, you have to pull it off when the opponent has fallen about 2/3 of the screen. A DP+C is easier to connect than then the R.A.D kick though.

This can also be done when you are close to the corner but you will have to walk a little towards the opponent before you pull-off QCF+B+B for it to completely connect. However, if you do it without the corner, you cannot combo in the jD.

KYO 1:

- jD, sB, cA, QCF QCF+P

KYO 2:

- jD, sC, ReverseDP+B

KYO 3:

- sC, F+B (2-hits), QCB QCF+P
Note: “Stand C, forward B combo applies to all except the following characters:
(Important: Stand C, Forward B can't be comboed when Kyo is maxed up.)

Benimaru, Yuri, Kensou, Mai, King, Leona, Ralf, Clark, Robert.

This combo can be done on the entire KOF98 cast except the above mentioned.”
_L YEO, Gamefaqs Kyo faq

LEONA 0 (Corner):

- Charge B F+K, (While opponent still in the air) QCB QCF+K
Note: SDM does not seem to connect.

LEONA 1 (Corner):

- Charge B F+C, QCF QCF + P (when she lands)
Note: Must be done as she lands or she might (will, if you wait too long) wiff after the first launch kick. DM does not connect. SDM wiffs.

LEONA 2:

- jD, sC, F+B, (while still in air after last attack) QCF QCB+C
Note: Do the DM using C, A will wiff.

MATURE 0:

- jB (2-hits), sB (2-hits), QCB+P*3
Note: the first hit of the sB hits low so if the opponent is blocking upright the rest of the combo will still work even if the jB was blocked.

MATURE 1:

- sA, sB (2-hits), DP+C

MATURE 2:

- sD (2-hits), QCB+K

MATURE 3:

- cB, sB (2-hits), QCF QCF+P

RALF 0 (Corner):

- Charge B F+B, (while opponent still in air) QCB QCF+K
Note: The Ralf Kick must hit deep.

RALF 1:

- MAX mode, cC, QCB QCF+K, QCF QCF+P
Note: After the SDM the opponent will be stunned, wait about a second or so (say 1 2 in your head) and then pull of the Galactica Phantom. If done correctly the opponent will get hit IMMEDIATELY after he/she gets up, if there is even a little delay your timing is off. Takes 100%.

ROBERT 0:

- jD, sC, F+B, QCF QCB+A

ROBERT 2 (Corner):

- jD, sC, F+A, (while still in air) QCB+K

ROBERT 3 (Corner)

- jD, sC, HCF+B, (timing) [Air] QCB+K

ROBERT 4:

- jD, sC, QCF+B, (timing) F+B, QCF QCF+K

ROBERT 5:

- F+B, QCF+K, F+B, DP+K

SHINGO 0:

- sB, sA, DP+K, (while opponent still in air) QCF+A

VICE 0:

- jD, sD (2-hits), QCB QCB+K

VICE 1:

- sD (2-hits), F+A, QCF+K

YAMAZAKI 0:

- jD, sC, DP+C

<small>[ July 25, 2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Well, here's my thoughts:

If we were to keep the Kawaks vids, we should have something on the front page written about using emulators and roms as tools. It could go into a nice explanation that people are very encouraged to buy the cart/cd/port/whatever. In fact, we could have a link to the Neo store adamantly supporting the purchases of real goods.

Now if we were to offer a graphical guide of a new game, we could keep video files offline until after a full year has elapsed. Of course, this is only for emulator videos.

If you wanted to make mpegs/avis/wmvs/whatever, this is very costworthy. The files would be a lot bigger than the Kawaks videos. Granted, this would work out for a lot of people who don't have the emulator/roms installed on their system, and it's pretty quick to view. If we were to go this route, we would have to buy another server specifically just for holding videos. I don't know about you, but when this gets off the ground a lot of traffic will be seen with these.

This is where we would have to ask for donations to keep the servers online to download the big video files. How many people would honstly donate money for something they're already getting for free? Few, but not a whole lot. It's something that has to be really thought out.

So to analyze the pros and cons, both have their strengths and both have their weaknesses. However if we were to go the big video route, it wouldn't be 100% consistant with the combos we've gotten so far. To get every character in the same exact spot and the hits in the same exact place, it would be a nightmare, and would throw off the groove that we tried to establish in the first place.

I'd like to hear some other people's opinions about this. Agree/disagree with anything I've said? I'm all ears.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SonGohan:
Well, here's my thoughts:

If we were to keep the Kawaks vids, we should have something on the front page written about using emulators and roms as tools. It could go into a nice explanation that people are very encouraged to buy the cart/cd/port/whatever. In fact, we could have a link to the Neo store adamantly supporting the purchases of real goods.

Now if we were to offer a graphical guide of a new game, we could keep video files offline until after a full year has elapsed. Of course, this is only for emulator videos.
Hey, that sounds like a plan. I like the idea of a "emulation disclaimer" on the front page, will think about a layout for it.

I think it's very reasonable not to release emu vids in the first release year of a game. That is, I could link these non-public vids to a password-protected area where only we can access it.

If you wanted to make mpegs/avis/wmvs/whatever, this is very costworthy. The files would be a lot bigger than the Kawaks videos. Granted, this would work out for a lot of people who don't have the emulator/roms installed on their system, and it's pretty quick to view. If we were to go this route, we would have to buy another server specifically just for holding videos. I don't know about you, but when this gets off the ground a lot of traffic will be seen with these.

This is where we would have to ask for donations to keep the servers online to download the big video files. How many people would honstly donate money for something they're already getting for free? Few, but not a whole lot. It's something that has to be really thought out.
Totally agreed. The bandwidth consumption alone would exceed all limits and the amount of disc space we'd need would be ridiculously high. Currently, the site is on my (our company's) server and I have relative freedom in deciding what runs there, but bandwidth isn't free.

Speaking about cost, I really want to avoid having to go the sponsor route with banners and auto-ads, that only slows down loading and drives up CPU usage on the client side, and the financial outcome isn't all that big to be honest. Our company arranged a couple of banner exchange deals for a number of our clients, but none of them could pay their hosting fees with that alone.

That said, guess we should stick to the Kawaks vids for older games and delay the release of them for the newer games during the first year of release. Anything else would only lead to additional cost and work.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Well, when I asked about donations, I wasn't thinking anything particularly about ads. In fact - I hate ads. Everything about them. If we were to host large video files, we could put a donation link at the bottom of the page and all proceeds could go towards paying for the server it's being run on. Still, there's no guarantee that people will donate anything.

Either way, the video files aren't really even that big of an issue, imo. If you want, I can begin writing up an emulation disclaimer and I can send it your way and you can add/del/edit it how you see fit. I'd really like to stress that emulation is an astounding tool in being able to visually show what's capable of the games we're covering.

I mean, we aren't offering roms or anything, and emulators themselves aren't bad, and we aren't offering those. We're just offering the small recording files to be used in junction with the emulators. The only reason I would even see people downloading the video in the first place is if they are having trouble with the combo, and you give good instructions on how to perform it, so the videos are pretty much the last resort in helping the person figure them out.

There's no need to split hairs over it. We just need to write up a thorough disclaimer covering all the grounds to appease what small minority of complainers we may never hear from in the first place.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SonGohan:
[...] Either way, the video files aren't really even that big of an issue, imo. If you want, I can begin writing up an emulation disclaimer and I can send it your way and you can add/del/edit it how you see fit. I'd really like to stress that emulation is an astounding tool in being able to visually show what's capable of the games we're covering.
Sure, go ahead, I'll put it online as soon as you post it here/send it to me!

I mean, we aren't offering roms or anything, and emulators themselves aren't bad, and we aren't offering those. We're just offering the small recording files to be used in junction with the emulators. The only reason I would even see people downloading the video in the first place is if they are having trouble with the combo, and you give good instructions on how to perform it, so the videos are pretty much the last resort in helping the person figure them out.

There's no need to split hairs over it. We just need to write up a thorough disclaimer covering all the grounds to appease what small minority of complainers we may never hear from in the first place.
It's good to see that we share the same opinion about roms and emulation. In all those pro/con roms discussions on ng.com I took part, I always stressed that I respect emulation as a technology that can be a wonderful tool to really go in-depth about a game, a fact which IMO is untainted by the constant abuse of emulation to get new games for free which DOES harm game companies, at least that's what I think.

With a decent disclaimer about roms and a delay of vids of new games we're on the right way I guess.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
I'm glad the matter is resolved, I didn't want to be a bitch but imo its better if everything be made sure of in the construction stage rather than when everything is complete and launched.

@SonGohan: You mentioned Tripod, how can I upload there? Any tips (never used it before)?

@Takumaji: This combo on your site doesn't seem to be working - Charge DB F+D, QCB+C, QCF QCB+C

<small>[ July 26, 2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
If you are looking for help in terms of funding bandwith I can always lend a hand.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Average Joe:
If you are looking for help in terms of funding bandwith I can always lend a hand.
I think thats totally unfair to you, I'm kinda sorry I brought this up now.

One more thing though, you have to have the KOF98 romset to play those movies (maybe even matching ones). That means mostly the rom users will see them.

I think we should just leave it as it is (with the disclaimer) and whoever has the emulator can watch the movies and who doesn't they can see the screenshots (which is more than enough).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Diavle18:
[...] @Takumaji: This combo on your site doesn't seem to be working - Charge DB F+D, QCB+C, QCF QCB+C
I guess you're referring to one of Takuma's combos, yep, this doesn't really combo, at least not the DM. The Ryuuko Ranbu DM is a follow-up to the qcb+C knock-down and traps opponents that are careless with their block while getting up. The charge db,f+D -> qcb+C is legit tho because once the flying double kick hits (and thus juggles), there's not much the opponent can do against getting hit by the qcb+C. I wanted to make combo pics that explain it, but haven't finished them yet. The charge db,f+D -> qcb+C is my fave "alternate standard" Takuma combo besides the good ole' charge db,f+K -> f,b,f+P.

I could open another section on the combo page besides Normal Combos and (S)DM Combos, something like "Strategic Moves", or we simply put stuff like that into strategy tips.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Takumaji:
Diavle18:
[...] @Takumaji: This combo on your site doesn't seem to be working - Charge DB F+D, QCB+C, QCF QCB+C
I guess you're referring to one of Takuma's combos, yep, this doesn't really combo, at least not the DM. The Ryuuko Ranbu DM is a follow-up to the qcb+C knock-down and traps opponents that are careless with their block while getting up. The charge db,f+D -> qcb+C is legit tho because once the flying double kick hits (and thus juggles), there's not much the opponent can do against getting hit by the qcb+C. I wanted to make combo pics that explain it, but haven't finished them yet. The charge db,f+D -> qcb+C is my fave "alternate standard" Takuma combo besides the good ole' charge db,f+K -> f,b,f+P.

I could open another section on the combo page besides Normal Combos and (S)DM Combos, something like "Strategic Moves", or we simply put stuff like that into strategy tips.
Ah I see, yeah should make a different section or simply put a little note next to it so people know.

<small>[ July 26, 2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Diavle - Go to <a href="http://www.tripod.com" target="_blank">www.tripod.com</a> and register for free space. Then when you get it, upload the zip file, then hit me up with the address and I'll dl it.

Darren

n00b
Hi guys, decided to do my bit for the cause!! :D

Yamazaki stratagy for the site:

King of Fighters 98: Ryuji Yamazaki (97' Special Team)
Ryuji Yamazaki
97' Special Team

Strategy Tips

1) Yamazaki is a man who naturally gravitates towards violence, and loves to kill his opponents with sadism. He even doesn't care if he takes a hit or two to make the opponent suffer! He loves to use dirty tricks such as wielding his sharp knife and kicking sand/dirt in the opponent's eyes. He also works only for those who can reach his price. However, far beyond the money, Yamazaki loves the smell of blood and the sound of broken bones! Another disturbing thought is that Yamazaki has not yet truly awoken to his full (Blood Riot) orochi powers.... if and when he does, heaven help anyone who gets in his way!!!

2)Why use Yamazaki? Yamazaki is a powerful character, his moves are a mix of brawling and his own psychotic style of fighting. His is best known for fighting with his hand in one pocket and pulling out painful looking killer DM'S and SDM'S. His attacks are quite medium to slow (with the exception of his snake arms/counter/judgement dagger) and recovery from his missed attacks is his greatest weakness.

He is a great poking/keep away character and has an arsenal of deadly moves. These vary from a command grab to counter. When these moves are chained the enemy's energy dissapears....fast. His Drill SDM deserves an award for style and damage, as this 44 hit (serpent slash type) can take about 50-60% of your life away!!!

He is also a great mind game character is he can cancel out of his snake arms (which gradually build up his DM meter by the way!!)and mix up pokes with overhead attacks. One more thing - his counter. This is on of the best or if not the best counter in the whole KOF series. It comes out ultra fast (hcf + B or D) and stops anything except for projcetiles and sweeps....abuse it!!

3) Basics - Standing Attacks

A

Hits high. comes out at a medium speed and is nice for keeping the opponent at distance.

B

Hits in the mid section. Front-kick right into the stomach/groin, very quick and effective. Can be used in small chain combos like jumping D, standing B into qcb + B or C

C

A lunging mid section-hitting punch, not the fastest, but a has decent reach...use it.

D

Mid-hitting back kick with excellent range. This is an excellent keep away attack and can knock opponents out of certian moves. Abuse this move!!

Close Attacks

A

A punch to the gut.

B

A kick to the knees/shins, good attack move, comes out very fast and can keep grappler at bay.

C

A hook uppercut to the mid sectio/face. An excellent attack. This move is linked to the majority of his combos.

D

A double hit kick to the groin and face, hits medium to high(2 hits), useful against grappling attacks. Comes out very fast and is a great surprise move. Can be cancelled into a special or a DM - and alternate to the C version.

CD

A powerful headbutt. A Great overall move and can be cancelled into snake arms/snake fake. A great corner trapping move.

Crouching Attacks

A

A punch to the knee. Can be comboed and very useful against rolling opponents.

B

A short low kick. Come out quite fast. Another poking tool.

C

A fore arm uppercut. Very good anti-air capabilities, good forward range and can be chain from low A or B into snake arms. This move is great abuse it!!

D

Excellent range, hits hard and comes out quickly. This move is Chins worst enemy!!

Jumping Attacks

A

A simple aerial punch. Can be used in air-to-air battles,

B

Has two variants. The jump and neutral position version is o.k but the directional verion out classes it. A great retreating keep away move and cross up tool. Beware grapplers can punish you if you don't perform this move correctly.

C

Another 2 variant jumping punch, good for doing simple jumping 2-in-1's, neutral version hits down, directional hits high.

D

Variants agian. His neutral version shines, as is reach is second to none. His directional version is a deep hitting kick, and a great combo starter.

CD

Ryuji hits thi opponent with a horizonal swinging doulbe-axe handle. Not so good in range, but comes out ultra fast!!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hey Darren, that's great, thanks a lot! Today, I will finish the Takuma tips because there are two things missing: A strategy discussion of the special and (S)DM moves and a section about offensive and defensive tactics.

The completition of Takuma's strat section was heavily delayed because I priorized a lot of other stuff, but expect it to be up and running in about one or two hours.

I will upload your Yama strats, would be cool if you could finish them afterwards with the rest of the strat tips according to what I add to Takuma.

Thanks!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
@Darren: The Takuma strategy section is finished, please take a look at it and complete your Yama strats accordingly.

You have already completed points 1 (The Character), 2 (Why to use him) and 3 (Basics), please add 4 (Command attacks), 5 (Special Moves), 6 ((S)DMs) and 7 (Tactics, separated into Offense and Defense). Thanks man!!

To all others, let me hear what you think.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I just got in a heap of combos from Diavle. I haven't had a chance to check out the site yet, but I will do so now.

BTW, some of these combos I got are real kickass.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
some more combos for Brian Battler :

Jump in D, standing C ( 2 hits ) , qcb + C

Jump in D, standing C ( 2 hits ) , qcf + C

Jump in D, standing C ( 2 hits ) , 2xqcf + B

Jump in D, standing C ( 2 hits ) , dp + B

A really good character if people can manage him correctly. smirk

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm working on creating a simple way to enter combos, perhaps I will add a relational database (such as MySQL) to the site. Yesterday, I was talking to a friend of mine who is a good php programmer and we worked out a basic layout for an online combo submission system. It would offer an easy way for all of you to upload combos and combo pics into a test area where they could be tried and tested, then they could be finalized and added to the chara section where they belong.

This will take a while, don't expect it to be ready tommorrow, but I think in the long run, this will be the way to go.

I'm planning to add a huge number of combos (without combo pics) this weekend.

What do you guys think, should we add EVERY POSSIBLE combo or just the cool/useful ones?

I still need help with the strategy sections. We need them for all charas except Takuma and Yamazaki. Look at what's there for Takuma and construct yours accordingly.

If you guys are still interested, we should discuss what game we will cover next. A few suggestions: A Real Bout game (RB, RBS, RB2), RotD (not the best game but quite combo intensive) or one of the Samshos (I'd prefer 2 or 3). Any ideas?

<small>[ July 31, 2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Takumaji ]</small>

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
How about KOF2001? This way we will finish off both the sagas. I say 2001 because the only new thing 2002 has is the new face team and their combos are practically identical to their 98 ones. Also I suggest we do only character combos, no strikers.

If not then I haven't seriously played any of the ones you mentioned except for ROTD. But there is nothing a faq and a combo list won't fix I guess. ROTD is very combo friendly but there won't be much variety imo (normal combo-->CD combo--> finisher). Or we could just cover it to get it over with (less characters too).

About the combos, I think we should put up the cool/interesting ones and only 1 or 2 basic ones (not everybody is advanced at combos).

<small>[ July 31, 2003, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Diavle18:
How about KOF2001? This way we will finish off both the sagas. I say 2001 because the only new thing 2002 has is the new face team and their combos are practically identical to their 98 ones. Also I suggest we do only character combos, no strikers.
To be honest I don't intend to cover KoF2k2 at this point because, well, I don't see anything exciting in BC combos and stuff like that. I've played A LOT of 2k2 both vs CPU and in 2P, but I don't see the sparks fly like in other KoFs.

2k1 would be fine for me, let's hear what the others think.

If not then I haven't seriously played any of the ones you mentioned except for ROTD. But there is nothing a faq and a combo list won't fix I guess. ROTD is very combo friendly but there won't be much variety imo (normal combo-->CD combo--> finisher). Or we could just cover it to get it over with (less characters too).
I played a lot of RotD when it came out but got tired of it after a month, then two weeks ago I picked it up again and had some cool 2P matches... well, not cool in a KoF98 type of way, but it was fun because some of my friends really improved which helped a lot I guess.

There are some monstrous, and I mean MONSTROUS combos in it that we should cover. Quite flashy stuff, but thanks to RotD's cheapo combo engine, they're surprisingly easy to pull off.

About the combos, I think we should put up the cool/interesting ones and only 1 or 2 basic ones (not everybody is advanced at combos).
Yep, I think that would be enough because making combo pics for ALL possible combos for ALL characters would be a neverendig story.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Some good ideas. How about when we put up combos, we put up 3 "bread-b-butter" combos (ie: easy, damaging combos that can be relied on a lot in the match) per character, and then stick to more elaborate combos? Funny wanting to change this at this late in the stage, but hey - it's still developing, eh?

The next project, does it have to be KOF? Could we do something like a few non-KOF games, then a KOF, another few non-KOF, then a KOF? Just to keep it somewhat fresh. What do you think?