KOF 98 Combos

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Right, no need to put a rush on it.

Ok, I'll zip the site and PM you the link. Would be cool if you could host it for a while, hope you can cope with my funny hand-written vi'ed html... :)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It's cool. I'd just like to get the ball rolling on this. Just not overdoing it is the key. It's easy to get burnt out fast. There's already a wealth of combos to be found all throughout this thread, so it's a good reference point.

This should really be stickied (wasn't it at one point?).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, it should be stickied, don't remember if it ever was but it's a good idea anyway.

Mods...?

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Make a thread in suggestions to sticky this thread, it worked for the "All about the shooters" thread, and this thread is just as good.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I got the zip, you can take it down Tak.

I'll throw it on my site here in a little bit. I know NOTHING about html though aside from real basic tags. Would you be cool with me giving you access to my site (I trust you) to do the updates as needed?

What should we start with to get the ball rolling? Give me a job and I'll get to work on it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Site access would be cool... ...and your account data will be in good hands. :)

I think we should start by filling up the gaps in the character menu. For that we need avatar pics with a size of 64x64 (for the menu) and 96x96 (for the character page). So far we used the team position select screen as source for the pics.

Missing characters:

Kyo
Benimaru
Goro
Yuri
Ralf
Clark
Chizuru
King
Yashiro
Shermie
Chris
Mary
Billy
Mature
Brian
Shingo
Rugal

I will update the combos I have saved from this thread, make them somewhat uniform and send the text file to you, then we can start putting them on the site.

Also, I will slightly rework the combos and move pages to make updating/adding stuff easier, at the mo the sources are quite a mess, Spaghetti code Tak-style I fear...

Oh, and thanks for your mod suggestion!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I'm bored.

Clark :

Standing C ( can only it once ), while the oppo's still stunned, hcb + C, qcf + C

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Seeeesh !

This thread looks dead !

Let's put up some life on it.

Heidern :

Jump + D, Stand + C, Foward + B ( can only hit once ) , QCB HCF + D / B

/Heidern voice on

Go to Heeeell !

/Heidern voice off

Despair

Crazed MVS Addict
Mature

Jumping weak kick, standing strong kick, forward + weak kick

Jumping weak kick, standing weak kick, d, db, b + strong punch x3

Jumping weak kick, standing strong punch, d, df, f + weak punch

Jumping strong kick, standing weak kick, f, d, df + strong punch

Jumping weak kick, standing weak kick, d, db, b + strong kick

Jumping weak kick, standing strong kick, forward + weak kick, d, db, b, db, d, df, f + kick

Jumping weak kick, standing weak kick, d, df, f, d, df, f + punch

Mature is my home girl

When it comes down to Mature it's all about her weak kick. It hits twice on the ground if close and in the air if timed right. This makes it a perfect combo starter tool. Her standing close strong kick can be used in the same matter do to it's heavier damage, combo starting ability and can hit twice just like weak kick. The only downfall is it doesnt make up as a good poke tool although it'll back her up to her long range strong kick but a missed one can leave her open to punishment. Her jumping weak kick, standing close weak kick (strong kick) into forward weak kick is her best poke tool espcially when the opponent is the corner cause then u can whip out the Death Row Downer (d, db, b + punch x 3) this will chip off some damage and keep the pressure one the enemy. At the same time every repeated motion will advance Mature forward. Another good effect of this move is the first motion of this attack can be used as an anti-air, so u can use this to knock in-coming jumping opponents outta the air.

Mature is most used for rushdown and some bit of agressive offensive fighting wit' lil' defense. Da Cide (b, db, d, df, f + kick) can work well to settin' up your Death Row Downer trap, since this command throw will throw your opponent to the other. Unlike Vice's, Mature will advances forward but u cannot link Mature's. Yet, try not to abuse this move or don't use it with strong kick, The recovery time is punishable. Another avergae move to Mature is her Metal Massacre (d, db, b + kick), this can work well after a poke string as well as the Death Row Downer since she advances forward rather quickly and u dont have to repeat the motion. Yet Death Row Downer works better, just mix 'em up. Use the Metal Massacre if you are too outta range, since Death Row Downer will prolly take to time to tag the opponent and leave u vulnerable.

Despair (d, df, f + punch) can be used ratherly in a defensive matter, when it comes to combos use it with weak punch. Strong punch goes to high and has a bad recovery time. The strong punch version should be used to get over certain attack and projectiles to land near your opponent and counter them. On the other hand, makes sure u time these well and don't abuse them or u could get countered yourself. Sacrilege (f, d, df + punch) a spiral general counter that flies Mature off at an angle. This move should really be wagered in pokes, only to get across the screen, or as a corner trap due to its excellent chip damage. Just stick to a weak kick into a Sacrilege with strong punch, as far as corner traps go. It can be used as anti-air as well but don't try it. Mature best defensive tatic is her Ebony's tears (d, df, f, df, d, db, b + punch) besides Da Cide, this is the only move she cannot combo. Use this for pressuring and zoning and make sure u are far away when using it. Just don't get in shotoscrub mode with this move. Since the wind up time on it is rather slow. Although, it can be used as an anti-air.

Her Desperation moves are moderatley well. Nocturnal Lights should be used in the same way as Death Row Downer, except as an anti-air and it has limited advancing range. Her Heaven Gates' is an advancing command throw, which can be easily forseen so it must be set-up with a combo usually. If blocked Mature is left for attack. Just keep Mature offensive, rush down and build some gauge and use it sparingly.

Last edited:
sweet,

im new, and i was really wondering about the only KOF i have (dream match, which people say is still played and praised allot), and i was directed here to ask these questions:

1:

how intense do the combos here get? Im ALpha 3, i see 0-death combos and that makes me kinda sad, being that at a certain level of skill you can kill poeple that fast, and it becomes ho hits 2st.... what about this game?

2:

In alpha3, there are "techs" and stuff, like tech rols when uve been hit, tech air recovers, ect, does Dreem match get that deep?

3:

LINK ME TO SOME MATCH VIDEOS PLEASE :}

4:

Where do you people play Dream Match, is it only played in basements with a group of friends who dont have anything better than a DC, just like 1-3 kids who like a good fighter and wanna have fun building skill?(kinda my situation) or there basically a mainstream thing still going strong? like nation tourneys and stuff? or are the tourneys just at local video game places? if so, are they everywhere? or just in like one in every 320483409 cities in the country, cuz i never thought this game was popular, and i just wanna get an idea

THANKS IN ADVANCE

oh damn.... i thought it was dream match 98, but its 99, im on the wrong thread....

EVEN SO, answer the previous questions about 99DM, if you will, thanks.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
confessions2 said:
oh damn.... i thought it was dream match 98, but its 99, im on the wrong thread....

EVEN SO, answer the previous questions about 99DM, if you will, thanks.

It's the Same game. There are slight differences in the port, but you can work around them and never notice. The DC port was "renamed" to fit the year of it's dreamcast release.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
confessions2 said:
sweet,

im new, and i was really wondering about the only KOF i have (dream match, which people say is still played and praised allot), and i was directed here to ask these questions:

1:

how intense do the combos here get? Im ALpha 3, i see 0-death combos and that makes me kinda sad, being that at a certain level of skill you can kill poeple that fast, and it becomes ho hits 2st.... what about this game?

Same here. 100% combos are possible since KoF98 offers a MAX mode where most attacks do more damage, but what works in practice mode does not necessarily work in real matches.

2:

In alpha3, there are "techs" and stuff, like tech rols when uve been hit, tech air recovers, ect, does Dreem match get that deep?

heh, yeah it does. There are back-steps, dashes, tech rolls, escape rolls ("emergency evade"), throw escapes, three different jumps (small - middle - big), taunts, strike attacks (press CD when near your opponent), air blocks, DMs and SDMs, two play modes (Extra and Advanced), etc...

Lots of stuff to master. Get a good faq and start reading...

3:

LINK ME TO SOME MATCH VIDEOS PLEASE :}

Just search Gameplay and the KoF forum, you will find lots of threads with links to nice combo/match vids. Look out for sites like Cyberfan and Arcadia Extreme.

4:

Where do you people play Dream Match, is it only played in basements with a group of friends who dont have anything better than a DC, just like 1-3 kids who like a good fighter and wanna have fun building skill?(kinda my situation) or there basically a mainstream thing still going strong? like nation tourneys and stuff? or are the tourneys just at local video game places? if so, are they everywhere? or just in like one in every 320483409 cities in the country, cuz i never thought this game was popular, and i just wanna get an idea

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Well, it's a port, and of course it gets played at home. There are no dedicated 99DM tournaments, at least not AFAIK.

Thing is that there are some timing differences between the DC and arcade/Neo version. Combine that with the 3D backs and you know why "the hardcore" doesn't like the first two DC KoFs (99DM and 99Evo) but don't worry about that, it's still a great game. The menu graphics also look like ass but the intro is nice...

KoF98 (original) still gets played in tournaments because it's very good for high-level play but it lacks some of the technical details of KoF2k1 and 2k2 (e.g. super-cancelling, MAX mode cancels (BC mode), Wire Attacks, Strikers, etc.), that's why you mostly see tournaments for the latter two.

However, the versus fighting scene is very active. There are countless lesser-known local tournaments so it's actually difficult to tell wether a game is still hot or not among competitive players, a game which nobody plays anymore in one part of the world may still be the big thing in another.

so its prolly still got an underground following, cool.

i think this game is so nice because of all the charachers, and how if you press start (or some button i forget it) over a char before u select they are different, i always liked "yuri" in that different mode, chris is decent as well.

anyways, even if there arent any tourneys or even underground fanclubs of this great game in or around Rhode Island, ill prolly just have allot of fun getting good with my friends. Then when i get into college I'll definitely get a bunch of kids into a good 2D fighter have have tourneys galore!

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Bump, one of the best KOF topics in the forum. It's a shame I procrastinate so much. Could somebody sticky this or something? There's lots of good stuff in this.

alphastet

n00b
This may have already been listed but one of my fav terry combos is

optional jump in + close C, d/f+C, hcf+B, DP+D. Its not all that flashy but its very damaging and can be done anywhere on screen. I miss his power charge, though it was best in 97.

Also with terry, optional jump in+ close C, f+A, into DM or SDM. again not to flashy but useful and very damaging.

Oh and also if you want combos check out m00nRuns combo FAQ at game faqs. Its HUGE HUGE HUGE.

Note, I have always liked billys corner combo which is basically DP D, and at the peak of their launch do his spinning fire DM which i believe is qcf,hcb, and any punch. You can make up/add on your own set up for the combo.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah -

that's why this thread is sticky now, once and for all.

'bout time, eh. :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
heh, the ol' openmook!

Cool! Thanks for uploading it.

After browsing through it, I thought that it would be really awesome if we'd complete it one day... if it weren't so labour-intensive...

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
heh, the ol' openmook!

Cool! Thanks for uploading it.

After browsing through it, I thought that it would be really awesome if we'd complete it one day... if it weren't so labour-intensive...

What was amazing is that what was done was completed only in a week or two. I think it kind of came to a halt because so much was being done at once that it kind of burnt out quickly. I think doing stuff here and there will be better overall. I'd still like to work on it. I could also record videos with my capture card now, and encode them to XviD instead of crappy Kawaks save files.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Heh, I remember this.

Was right around the time I started to learn and play KOF seriously.

It's a good idea, should keep working on it.

Might be fun, since now I actually have a decent understanding of the game and its innermost workings.

G-Product

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Wes said:

I can't wait for that to be finished. I wouldn't mind helping on it

anyways here's soem shit on Leona, my fav. & best character

Special Moves
Strike Arch - press forward + B
Moon Slasher - Hold down briefly, then press up + A/C
Grand Saber - Hold back briefly, then press forward + B/D
Saber Finisher - During Grand Saber (D), press forward + D
X Caliber - Hold down briefly, then press up + B/D
Baltic Launcher - Hold back briefly, then press forward + A/C
Earring Bomb - QCB + B/D (just as useless as Ice Slasher, but somewhat decent to use sometimes)
Ice Slasher - QCB + A/C (do not use, never ever, unless u want to die & look dumber than Janet JAckson with her so-called wardrobe malfunction)

Super Moves
V-Slasher - While jumping, QCF, HCB + A/C or qcf, hcb, up-back + A/C
Gravity Storm - qcf x 2 + A/C
Rebel Spark - qcb, hcf + B/D

Most of the time u want to use Leona's normals, a dash-up crouching B, B is both quick & safe. It can't cancel into anything but it keeps the pressure on.

Crouching A, A is also good, what it lacks in range it makes up in its ability to cancel into a Moon Slasher

X-Caliber is pretty risky. It has good suprise value, can get u across the screen quickly and go over fireballs. But over all, don't use it too much

Grand Saber is good to use. Gets u across the screen, safe if blocked. Just go for a walk-up throw, crouching B, B or crouching A, Moon Slasher if u think they won't block. Never do the follow-up though. Regardless if u use the B o D version, they're the same thing. Hold forward, so in case they dont block or get hit u can press D to to hit with the follow-up.

Baltic Launcher (C) can offer a high damage combo, espcially in the corner, or soem good mix-up's, but what are the chances of connecting it. A version is good to use however from mid-range or far away. Can be used as an anti-air and zones the opponent away, plus it has good recovery keepin' Leona safe from punishment.

Moon Slasher is probably the most abuseable special she has. Excellent priority, good for wake-up (when she's gettin' up) and safe, pushes u out a good range. Can combo and anti-air.

One thing about Leona is her air game. She has many great aerial moves & anti-airs.

Crouching C, Moon Slasher, Air Throw (back/forward + C/D), Baltic Launcher (A), X-Caliber can also work.

Jumping C & D are her best jumping attack, D has great range & can combo into V-Slasher. C can cross-up.

Standing close D (2 hits), Rebel Spark is great for punishment situations.

That's all I havent played this game in a while

Combos

Jumping deep C, crouching C, Moon Slasher (C)

Jumping deep D, standing close D (2 hits), Strike Arch

Standing close, Baltic Launcher (C), Moon Slasher (C)

Standing close, Baltic Launcher (C), X-Caliber (D)

Standing close, Baltic Launcher (C), Strike Arch

Standing close, Baltic Launcher (C), jump up CD

When the opponent is in the corner, jumping deep C, crouching C, X-Caliber (D)

When the opponent is in the corner, Grand Sabre (D), Moon Slasher (C)

When the opponent is in the corner, Grand Sabre (D), X-Caliber (D)

When the opponent is in the corner, Earring Grenade (D) counter hit, Moon Slasher (C)

When the opponent is in the corner, Earring Grenade (D) counter hit, CD Attack

When the opponent is in the corner, Earring Grenade (D) counter hit, X-Caliber (D)

When the opponent is in the corner, Grand Sabre (D), short jump, V-Slasher (C)

When the opponent is in the corner, Grand Sabre (D), Gravity Storm (D)

When the opponent is in the corner, Grand Sabre (D), Rebel Spark (D)

Jumping deep D, standing close D (1 hit), Gravity Storm (C)

Standing close Baltic Launcher (A), Rebel Spark (D)

Standing close, Baltic Launcher (C), V-Slasher (C)

Jumping deep D, standing close D (2 hits), Strike Arch, V-Slasher (C)

When the opponent is in the corner, standing close, Baltic Launcher (C), Gravity Storm (C)

When the opponent is in the corner, standing close, Baltic Launcher (C), Rebel Spark (D)

When the opponent is in the corner, Earring Grenade (D) counter hit, Gravity Storm (D)

When the opponent is in the corner, Earring Grenade (D) counter hit, short jump, V-Slasher (C)

When the opponent is in the corner, Earring Grenade (D) counter hit, Rebel Spark
(D)

Jumping CD counter hit, V-Slasher (C)

When the opponent is in the corner, CD counter hit, Rebel Spark

When the opponent is in the corner, CD counter hit, Gravity Storm

jumping CD counter hit, Rebel Spark (C) MAX mode

Last edited:

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
this isnt about combos but something else. if anybody can help, its appreciated. this is from kao meguras faq:

I'm afraid to say I don't really know what the heck this is. I guess
these two people (Takeshi and Mika) who were in some sort of KoF audio
drama or something, will ride by on a bicycle? Anyway, you can see it
by doing the following:

- Fight on the Korea stage?
- Make sure you're on the third round, and using Choi.
- Make sure there are 30 seconds or less remaining.
- Kill your opponent with a special move (SDM?)
- Hold the D button for your win pose.

Er, hey, that's just what I read at Ura no Ura, dunno what it's
supposed to be. I've tried this trick on all of the stages, using
either of Choi's DMs (and SDMs), and having it so that the third
round was the last round for both my team as well as for my opponent's
team, but I can't get the trick to work. Anyone who can, I'd love to
hear how you did it. I've had people write into me before explaining
how to do this but I never could get it to work.

anybody has done this? is this the correct way or do you perform it differently?