PlayStation 5

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That article listed absolutely nothing that gets me excited.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Backwards compatible with PS4 apparently. Good move if that includes discs too

Article says it will be disc-based.

Also mentions that Death Stranding will be a PS5 game but will have a diet version on PS4. I'm assuming the same goes for Last of Us II and Cyberpunk.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Knowing Kojima, you probably won't want to play the PS4 version.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Ground Zeroes was awful on PS3, it's actually what prompted me to buy a PS4. When you got into a firefight it turned into a slide show.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
I am definitely looking forward to a SSD as standard. Some games take absolute ages to load. Object oriented sound like Atmos in games might be cool with a proper setup, I have never heard any Atmos game soundtracks though.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Marketing bullshit.

Yeah I'm sure it's really faster than a 3 thousand dollar PC. Sure dude.

giphy.gif

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
On the bright side, at least there is still another console generation ahead. Not the dark streaming future the clairvoyants are currently peddling.

Physical media FTW.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Marketing bullshit.

If they're designing custom parts, they have opportunities that a normal PC build doesn't. For example, their comments about the SSD might indicate that they're doing something funny with that. They are probably using AMD's multi-chip-module process - for example, they could attach a big pile of Flash memory directly to its own bus on the CPU and make it thousands of bits wide (think HBM). You could never get that in an off-the-shelf part.

The big question is, can they do something that meaningfully makes the games better, without requiring lots of additional developer time? The PS4 was nice because it just did what you already wanted and did it fast. If they expect to win with lots of specific, proprietary gizmos, they probably don't remember the PS3.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
It will definitely be faster than my Dell 2008.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
So, SSD's are now 'game changers'. Ok.
They also mentioned continued support for the current VR headset, which is promising.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
PS5 to be powered by neostore SSDs.

You heard it here 1st.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So, SSD's are now 'game changers'. Ok.
They also mentioned continued support for the current VR headset, which is promising.

It makes me think that it really won't have much of a power edge over what's out now. Normally with a new system they'd be touting how many millions of gigapootz the system can push around. Adding raytracing (a feature that's currently useless even in PC games) and a fast SSD as your main bulletpoints for a new system doesn't bode well.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If they're designing custom parts, they have opportunities that a normal PC build doesn't. For example, their comments about the SSD might indicate that they're doing something funny with that. They are probably using AMD's multi-chip-module process - for example, they could attach a big pile of Flash memory directly to its own bus on the CPU and make it thousands of bits wide (think HBM). You could never get that in an off-the-shelf part.

Other than tying NAND directly to the CPU there isn't much to set it apart from a normal PC. Besides an NVMe SSD is already insanely quick.

They said they'll use AMD's Zen2 architecture and a version of their Navi GPU so it'll walk all over the PS4 Pro but when it comes to 4K performance? ray tracing on top of that? You'd need the equivalent of a 2080ti.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Marketing bullshit.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Uhh, you know that there is a retail markup on PCs and consumer components, right? And you know that console manufacturers typically take a loss on their consoles in order to make up for it with software licensing, right? And that's not to mention Sony has the capability of creating many of their own components, which saves a lot of money. Assuming the PS5 will be around $500, give or take (more likely give) $50, and the fact that it won't be out for another 17 months, I'd say being equivalent to a current $3000 PC is in the ballpark.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
It's a year out from release so that's some time for the cost of parts to drop. I agree that it'll be $800 of parts in a $400-$500 box.

My prediction is that released games will be PS4 / PS4 Pro / PS5 cross-compatible for at least a year or two after the new console comes out. Buy one disc, it runs on whichever console you have and scales the graphics and audio fidelity accordingly. PC based games scale nicely up or down for better or worse.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I'd say being equivalent to a current $3000 PC is in the ballpark.
There is zero chance of this. It won't even be the equivalent of a $3,000 PC in 2018, let alone one in 2020, unless you're talking about a grossly overpriced pre-built but custom PC.

edit: It's possible we'll see Nvidia's 21XX line by the time this launches, and this will likely be based around the AMD equivalent of a 2060. The last console that launched with comparable power to a higher-end PC was the 360, and that didn't last long.

edit2: None of us can be sure what to think about this until our PlayStation Prophet, saner, weighs in though.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
By now does it really matter how many bajillion figures it pushes? As long as it plays pacman relatively well then I'm sold, and fuck you if you don't agree. Goodnight

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Setting specs aside, the other issue Sony has to overcome with me is that I frankly trust Microsoft more than I trust them right now.

It's been a bit of a seesaw since the end of the PS2 era. The 360 dominated the PS3 until about halfway through that generation, and then Sony started to make lots of solid moves. The Xbox One was near-dead-on-arrival after that E3 press conference, but the release of the X and Play Anywhere, along with some questionable moves from Sony, has given Microsoft a lot of momentum going into the next generation. For example, I don't want or need Sony's help in deciding what content is appropriate for me. Censorship from a platform holder should be soundly rejected every time.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Censorship from a platform holder should be soundly rejected every time.

So you haven't bought a game console since the NES was released, right? Every single one has first-party requirements dealing with explicit content.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
giphy.gif

Uhh, you know that there is a retail markup on PCs and consumer components, right? And you know that console manufacturers typically take a loss on their consoles in order to make up for it with software licensing, right? And that's not to mention Sony has the capability of creating many of their own components, which saves a lot of money. Assuming the PS5 will be around $500, give or take (more likely give) $50, and the fact that it won't be out for another 17 months, I'd say being equivalent to a current $3000 PC is in the ballpark.

Uh, you know consoles aren't even targeting 120hz+, right? They're not even in the same galaxy as high end PCs anymore.

By the time the PS5 is available, a 3 grand PC will be able to play contemporary games at 4k @ 120hz.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Uh, you know consoles aren't even targeting 120hz+, right? They're not even in the same galaxy as high end PCs anymore.

By the time the PS5 is available, a 3 grand PC will be able to play contemporary games at 4k @ 120hz.

So your Metal Slug port @ 60fps and 120 hz should be soon right Cliffy B?