10% Discount on Watermelon's New MD/Genesis Game PAPRIUM (Project Y)

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
We're getting near the estimated 16/9/2017 release date- you guys think it will be released on time?

It won't. It was supposed to ship this month, but last Sunday we got this announcement. I can't say I'm surprised. I've waited years for Pier Solar to finally see a release. I didn't want to jinx it, but I never believed in a September release, and wouldn't you know, it's official. It's been pushed back to "early 2018", which means late 2018, at best.

This is really disappointing. It's not their first game. Pier Solar was released across many platforms, digitally and physically. We're not talking about someone's first rodeo. At this point they know how things work. They even published other MegaDrive homebrew efforts. And now they're pulling this shit? Assets frozen by PayPal? They've been making this for years. Don't take my money promising me a release unless you've got this locked down for real.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
It's not their first game. Pier Solar was released across many platforms, digitally and physically. We're not talking about someone's first rodeo. At this point they know how things work.

Lol, I could have told you this the instant they started taking money. Pier Solar took the better part of a decade to get completed, and the ports still took years for them to do as well.

Others have mentioned this before, but the whole "buy gems to preorder" vs "actual preorder" has just been a way for them to skirt liability for delivering the product on time.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Lol, I could have told you this the instant they started taking money.

Like I said, I was expecting this, but there was this glimpse of hope, that maybe ... maybe this time around. Nope!

Pier Solar took the better part of a decade to get completed

I know. I was there and they held my money for years. There was a point when I seriously considered getting a refund, but ultimately decided not to. It wasn't that much money, anyway. I got to write a one liner in the credits and the manual, though. This was their "posterity edition". Unfortunately, it only appears in the original MegaDrive release, because for PC, DC and console digital releases they offered the same thing to a new set of customers. A douche move, if you ask me. I was kind of glad to have my one liner in there. My little "I was there, I endured, I helped make this happen".

Others have mentioned this before, but the whole "buy gems to preorder" vs "actual preorder" has just been a way for them to skirt liability for delivering the product on time.

I couldn't get my head around their gem system at first, because it seemed like such an unnecessary thing. I did however get a bunch of gems for my Pier Solar purchase, which I forgot all about until it was time to pay for Paprium. That, plus the discount I got from an early supporter code made a pretty sweet deal. Or at least it will be a sweet deal when the game actually comes out.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
It wasn't that much money, anyway. I got to write a one liner in the credits and the manual, though. This was their "posterity edition". Unfortunately, it only appears in the original MegaDrive release, because for PC, DC and console digital releases they offered the same thing to a new set of customers. A douche move, if you ask me. I was kind of glad to have my one liner in there. My little "I was there, I endured, I helped make this happen".

It's a real shame that PC and Dreamcast users didn't get to witness your 10 life-changing words of wisdom.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
The PayPal thing seems like BS, but maybe that's just the pessimist in me. I'd appreciate it if they were straight up and just posted an update every now and then with their progress.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
After the Kickstarter debacle I don't see myself pre ordering anything from them again. At this point they shouldn't bother announcing a release date for their products.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Do people really expect preorders and kickstarters to ship on time?
There's no patching or fixes if this game has an error. You want them to rush it out?

I've always been in impressed with the stuff that arrived from Watermelon.... once it actually arrives. We may be waiting another year or two for this game. Who cares ?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I've always been in impressed with the stuff that arrived from Watermelon.... once it actually arrives. We may be waiting another year or two for this game. Who cares ?

Manchildren who must have games for 25 year old dead consoles right now!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Manchildren who must have games for 25 year old dead consoles right now!

this gave me a good chuckle - i also forgot about this game until i played some Streets of Rage the other night and remembered. Yeah, it'll be a nice surprise for whenever it finally shows up. Anyone here get the joystick bundle? I did not.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Here's the thing I don't understand about Kickstarter/preorders like this - is there a chance a game could never come out, even if it met all of its financial goals? If so, do you get refunded? Or is that just a risk you assume by being a backer?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Here's the thing I don't understand about Kickstarter/preorders like this - is there a chance a game could never come out, even if it met all of its financial goals? If so, do you get refunded? Or is that just a risk you assume by being a backer?

No. you get nothing refunded. It has happened dozens and dozens of times on Kickstarter. Anywhere from $1000 to $600k backed programs have died, and not a penny was returned. No lawsuits were filed, and nothing was ever delivered. Software is one of the riskiest projects to back on Kickstarter or elsewhere.
That is why you should never think of Kickstarter as a preorder system. I can't tell you how many people need a good slap in the boardgame community.

Interestingly enough, the only software based kickstarter that delivered to me was Watermelon with Pier Solar Dreamcast. 7 other game projects never made it to my hands. The last one I backed was 2 years ago. I will probably never back another one.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
The one thing I backed there was some Dreamcast game called Elysian Shadows. That was like 4 years ago and it probably won't ever release. I think it was like $40 or whatever that I backed so I'll just accept that loss. But there were like tiers for $1000+ that received like dozens of backers from what I remember. I would be furious if that were me. Haven't backed anything since and I don't think I ever will.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
That's kind of ridiculous - I was awful tempted to back this but did not and have no regrets now.

so technically I could mock up a cool concept, get people to back me, do essentially no work on the project, and then say something like my computer was stolen and walk with everyone's money...and there'd be little chance of repercussions.

Awesome!

I did back Bloodstained but I am kinda regretting it - not because I think the game won't get made but because it looks lame.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I pre-ordered Pier Solar from Watermelon. Took an eternity to actually be released. Like 3 to 4 years after the release date to come out. I imagine some people waited a few years more than me.

Their customer service is horrible. The entire time some guy who was in charge refused to address anyone in the forums, but instead sent his henchman to come in there. Apparently this henchman was some ex-employee that quit for reasons that were not clear. From what we understood, he hated working for the owner guy, and quit due to frustration from dealing with him. Basically he felt bad the owner guy left everyone hanging, and felt obligated to keep contact with the fans even though he broke it off with the owner. Every post he would say "the guy said this, or that", and it would just be partially forgotten messages. Like "I think he said this". Everyone would be like where the hell is he? Why won't he come in and explain things to us himself if you don't work there anymore, and can't remember? They guy who was in charge refused to come talk to anyone, or explain to this henchman guy why he refused to.

All this time, as the game was delayed years, they had announced, or had old projects on back log. Everyone kept asking why they were creating more projects, instead of focusing on finishing Pier Solar. Basically what we got out of it was they spend all the money from pre orders on stupid unrelated shit, and didn't have money to finish Pier Solar, or ship them. So they would create new game pre-orders in order to make money to fund the one they fucked up.

I would steer clear of the Magical Game Factory. When that shit storm goes down, a lot of people are going to lose pre-order money.

I understand there needs to be some patience when pre ordering indie stuff, but Watermelon is a god awful company in every aspect.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I pre-ordered Pier Solar from Watermelon. Took an eternity to actually be released.

Same here. I was close to actually cancelling my order, because I no longer believed it would come out. It was the first game to be released in this fashion, and the project itself was insanely ambitious. I know Super Fighter Team had their translation releases, but this was the first game developed from the ground up. All in all, I'm glad I've waited, because the finished product was impressive, to say the least.

However, I do feel WM's way of doing business sucks. I used to be active on their old forums, but ever since the redesign, I can't really wrap my head around how that place works. On top of that, the "magical game factory" idea is insane. It's all unnecessarily convoluted. Focus on one thing, get it done, move onto the next project.

They have definitely scored some negative points with me over the years. First thing was the Pier Solar release and its CD soundtrack. They screwed up the CD pressing, and Mega CDs were unable to read the disc properly. They blamed it on the old hardware, of course, but their solution was to release an image, so that people could burn their own CD-R, which worked properly. So effectively, they would claim the Mega CDs laser can't handle their pressed CD, but somehow can handle the CD-R? Please.

Another thing was the "posterity" edition of Pier Solar, where you could have your own message in the end credits of the game. This was meant to be something special for people who helped to finance the development. It was a cool idea, and a well deserved tribute to all those involved, I thought. Well ... as soon as they have started releasing ports, they started selling posterity messages again, removing the old ones. I have even asked them directly about this, but got no answer. I did confirm this by watching end credits of Dreamcast and PC versions. Same goes for console releases, I guess. Sure, my text will always be a part of the Megadrive release, but without it, there would be no console ports, so I always thought this was a dick move on their part.

I have paid for Paprium ages ago, but the story repeats yet again. No updates, no news, just silence and endless waiting. I'm still excited about the game, but does it have to be like this every time? Their forums are useless. No one has a clue. There seems to be no information flowing from the inside, so it's just a bunch of relatively new members throwing guesses around, and older members playing the expert role with more guesses. People are asking if the game has already shipped, because they have no idea. Someone else asked about Paprium 2. It's a mess.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'll be happy to order it at whatever point this is in stock. With Watermelon though, I'm afraid it will always be pre-orders only.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I just received a message WMF regarding preorder.... interesting this is still alive.