Lmao Blade Runner 2049

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I 100% agree with Wasabi and smokehouse on the whole Deckard/replicant issue. He has a much better arc if he's human.

And the timeline doesn't really work. People in the beginning of the movie know Deckard and remember working with him for an extended period of time. Unless literally everybody except for him knows he's a replicant, it doesn't really hold up. Because Deckard has taken and passed the test he gave Rachel, and because he is shown exhibiting complex emotional states throughout the movie, it follows that he would at the very least have to be more advanced than Roy and his group. And yet, Deckard gets physically dominated in the fight scenes and barely manages to come out of it alive.

It makes very little sense that the police would send a more emotional yet physically inferior replicant to hunt other replicants.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So the idea that Tyrell planned for Deckard to fall in love with Rachel

Is complete horseshit?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Well there's clearly some stuff in the film to support that but it doesn't mean it makes sense or completes a meaningful arc.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well there's clearly some stuff in the film to support that but it doesn't mean it makes sense or completes a meaningful arc.

It was a horrible plan because Tyrell, David Lopan, Sebastian were killed, and Rachel’s kid looked like a frumpyblumkin.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So the idea that Tyrell planned for Deckard to fall in love with Rachel

Is complete horseshit?

Eh, not entirely. I really don't feel that the concept for Tyrell setting them up requires Deckard to be a replicant.

It was a horrible plan because Tyrell, David Lopan, Sebastian were killed, and Rachel’s kid looked like a frumpyblumkin.

I strongly doubt Tyrell saw his demise coming, he was quite the megalomaniac and loved playing god...

...and lol @ frumpyblumpkin. Perhaps her freak immune system issues was because she was genetically mutated from bring a half breed...

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Eh, not entirely. I really don't feel that the concept for Tyrell setting them up requires Deckard to be a replicant.

...and lol @ frumpyblumpkin. Perhaps her freak immune system issues was because she was genetically mutated from bring a half breed...

Yeah, Tyrell could've looked into Deckard a bit and designed Rachel as his ideal mate to make things happen. Plus you'd think that if it really was 2 replicants breeding and not a rep & human that there'd be no big problems like her immune system issues. So while 2049 doesn't say one way or the other if he is or isn't a replicant it felt like more was pointing towards not being a replicant. But I also have not watched the original in quite some time so I don't fully recall all the little details like most of the rest of you are.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Finally watched it and it was great. I never lost my faith in Denis Villeneuve.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll say that I've found myself thinking often about the film, and all the subtle details and plot lines. The more I think on it, the more I like it. I'd love to see it again but with a long runtime and most theaters only playing it at 7:30PM M-F...I don't have much time to see it again, I'm going to have to wait for it to come out on BR.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'll say that I've found myself thinking often about the film, and all the subtle details and plot lines. The more I think on it, the more I like it. I'd love to see it again but with a long runtime and most theaters only playing it at 7:30PM M-F...I don't have much time to see it again, I'm going to have to wait for it to come out on BR.

Why not wait for the laserdisc?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Why not wait for the laserdisc?

(pushing aside your sarcasm) I'm not Merc...I don't dig the old formats unless I have no other choice.

Besides...with as gorgeous as this movie is, it would be a crime to limit it to low res.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
(pushing aside your sarcasm) I'm not Merc...I don't dig the old formats unless I have no other choice.

Besides...with as gorgeous as this movie is, it would be a crime to limit it to low res.

Laserdisc was capable of 1080 with Hi Vision sets.
All you need is about $10k. totally worth it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Merc sticks to VHS.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Pretty cool article, Designing the technology of ‘Blade Runner 2049’

Describes the studio they brought in to design the various displays/tech in the film and the ideas that led to the tech's creation.

I'll just come out and say it...I'm quickly hitting "fanboi" status with this film...the level of detail, the level of thought and design put into every inch of this film is top notch. I expect it to be lost on many, as this sort of thing isn't everyone's bag...but I love it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Laserdiscs on my PVM > DVDs on my PVM

Literally anything else > Laserdiscs on my 4K TV

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Curious how this one's going to age, especially in comparison to the original.

My opinion? It will become more popular with age. Look at the "flop" the original was at first, it took it nearly a decade to catch on. Like the original, the new film is not perfection...but it is incredibly well done. I really feel that i time, more and more people will come around to it.

Laserdiscs on my PVM > DVDs on my PVM

Literally anything else > Laserdiscs on my 4K TV

Modern TV's DO NOT like laserdisc...at all. There's a reason why my LD player is in storage.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
My opinion? It will become more popular with age. Look at the "flop" the original was at first, it took it nearly a decade to catch on. Like the original, the new film is not perfection...but it is incredibly well done. I really feel that i time, more and more people will come around to it.

People need to give it a shot though, and I'm surprised how little interest there has been so far (considering the critic response and coverage)... are they waiting for home release?

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Saw it yesterday, not sure how I feel about it.

Harrison Ford needs to retire I think. He's doing another Indiana Jones in 2020? He will look positively decrepit by then

Looks amazing.

Still on the fence.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Harrison Ford needs to retire I think. He's doing another Indiana Jones in 2020? He will look positively decrepit by then

I think he did a good job in 2049, but I can't hear the guy's voice without feeling like I need to clear my throat.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
He should star in a sequel of The Fugitive and discover he has yet another child.