Nintendo Switch

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
INTI Creates is coming out with a cool looking multi-player action RPG at the end of the month.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I use a mayflash f500 on my switch. Best cheap stick ever.

This. Here’s mine, think the base stick was around $60 shipped but I modded everything as you can see.

BBDD239A-DF1B-489B-9C77-4F6750A285AC.jpeg

Looking forward to OG Sega Ages Outrun this week, haven’t played that in a bit.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Rather have a good game than a game that kills the IP altogether.

They should have put the breath of the wild team on Metroid...

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
That's a very good thing. Namco Bandai would've fucked it up. Now it's back home with Retro.

Except none of the original developers of the Prime games are still at Retro.
There was a big falling out of the main devs, some went into starting up other companies like Armature Studios (who did Prime 3).
I’m still worried about the series. I don’t have much confidence in the new Retro Studios team

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Except none of the original developers of the Prime games are still at Retro.
There was a big falling out of the main devs, some went into starting up other companies like Armature Studios (who did Prime 3).
I’m still worried about the series. I don’t have much confidence in the new Retro Studios team

Yeah me either. I smell a possible generic throwback

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Nikkei is reporting that Nintendo may release a smaller, cheaper Switch this year. If that's not in addition to a more powerful one with a nicer screen, I think it's a huge misstep. They're only competing with themselves or F2P smartphone games in the cheap portable market. They're doing Sony and Microsoft a favor by not even remotely pushing the higher end.

fake

15 Year Member
Nikkei is reporting that Nintendo may release a smaller, cheaper Switch this year. If that's not in addition to a more powerful one with a nicer screen, I think it's a huge misstep. They're only competing with themselves or F2P smartphone games in the cheap portable market. They're doing Sony and Microsoft a favor by not even remotely pushing the higher end.

How so? Neither Sony nor Microsoft have any interest in the portable market. If Nintendo's competition is only mobile games like you say, then the only way of getting those users to buy into the Switch is with a lower price point. Nintendo haven't focused on the cutting edge since SNES. So I don't think they're going to start now with a 4K Switch. But I can nearly guarantee they'll reveal a new Switch model this year. A dumbed down version would make more sense in order to get more kids (i.e., their parents) to buy in. That said, I don't believe for a second that Switch is a strategy for Nintendo to combine their portable and home console markets.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
How so? Neither Sony nor Microsoft have any interest in the portable market. If Nintendo's competition is only mobile games like you say, then the only way of getting those users to buy into the Switch is with a lower price point. Nintendo haven't focused on the cutting edge since SNES. So I don't think they're going to start now with a 4K Switch. But I can nearly guarantee they'll reveal a new Switch model this year. A dumbed down version would make more sense in order to get more kids (i.e., their parents) to buy in. That said, I don't believe for a second that Switch is a strategy for Nintendo to combine their portable and home console markets.
I'd argue that the F2P smartphone market is unattainable, because Nintendo can make the hardware $200 or whatever, but the games are still too expensive to compete with that garbage for people who only value price.

I actually firmly believe the strategy is to combine the console and portable, and in fact I would probably sell my Switch and move on from Nintendo hardware all together if that is proven not to be the case. I already have no use for a PS5 or Xbox Two. I sure as hell don't need an even more under-powered doorstop that I can't pick up and take with me.

That would be GameCube.
Confirmed.

fake

15 Year Member
That would be GameCube.

Yeah, no.

I'd argue that the F2P smartphone market is unattainable, because Nintendo can make the hardware $200 or whatever, but the games are still too expensive to compete with that garbage for people who only value price.

I actually firmly believe the strategy is to combine the console and portable, and in fact I would probably sell my Switch and move on from Nintendo hardware all together if that is proven not to be the case. I already have no use for a PS5 or Xbox Two. I sure as hell don't need an even more under-powered doorstop that I can't pick up and take with me.

Confirmed.

It might be, but I don't think your "too expensive" idea works. The Switch is full of super cheap (in both senses) games that parents would have no problem with. It's not about "people who only value price" - it's about the kids. And if a kid nags enough, anything is possible.

4DS announcement is coming. Get ready to sell your Switch.

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
4DS announcement is coming. Get ready to sell your Switch.
Sadly, the biggest things I'd miss are the arcade ports, like Night Slashers. Despite my username, I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo's franchises, though I did think BotW was the first great Zelda since The Adventure of Link. Mario Odyssey didn't hook me, Sega's kart racers are better than Mario Kart, the most recent Star Fox was a cluster, they won't make a new F-Zero, etc.

edit: And that lack of software is what the unified platform is supposed to fix. If it gets further divided again...

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,

Tech radar is reporting that Nintendo said no hardware changes this year. I don’t know who is more reputable though...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...o-switch-model-wont-come-this-year-apparently

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
They aren't going to do a hardware refresh while people still keep buying them like crazy.
That'll come as sale rates start to plateau.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I'd buy another Switch if it was smaller in size like other portables.

(not my mock up)
switch_mini.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
They aren't going to do a hardware refresh while people still keep buying them like crazy.
That'll come as sale rates start to plateau.

You do have a point. DS sales didn't go nuts until the Lite showed up, and 3DS sales were trash until the XL came out. The Switch was strong out of the gate. BUT, I don't think they did a good job planning a long-term strategy for the Switch. I've said it a million times: they should've had a AAA first party game every 3 or 4 months. Really, the only first party games that are fantastic are Zelda and Mario. Everything is was pretty disappointing as far as I know (excluding Mario Kart from both categories, since that was a port). The Kirby game should've been the best Kirby since SNES. The Donkey Kong game should've been the best since the SNES. Pikmin 4 should've been out by now. A 2.5D Metroid that wasn't outsourced to Spain! A real entry into Fire Emblem. Etc. Really, the only pleasant surprise as far as I'm concerned is online play for the NES games, though I haven't tried it myself given the subscription basis. I'll try it eventually once they flesh out the library, but that goes back to my point. They should've had a TON of games ready to go within months of the Switch's release.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I think the novelty of having stuff portable is still fresh enough to carry switch between big releases especially since it’s getting tons of ports and has no traditional portable competition. So a smaller design could boost sales and could even be cheaper to produce/higher margin depending on what the supply and manufacturing process is like.

-SD-

Camel Slug
If the next main Pokémon game is a Switch exclusive, then Nintendo are going to have to release a cheaper version of the hardware; £280 is quite a jump from an 80 quid 2DS to entertain the kid....

Hardwire the JoyCons and put a proper Dpad on there and even I might bite.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I had the possibility to test the switch of a friend yesterday, and while I did enjoy MegaMan 11 a lot I wonder: am I the only one that considers the standard controller horrible? (e.g.: Sliding with MegaMan is a nightmare on analogue and also with the "pseudo-d-pad") The buttons are all so close to each other I did end up pressing the wrong ones half of the time.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, the button dpad stuff is bullshit, but there are ways to fix that now.

c3185e71ecad2ea802cf85a534e06318.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I had the possibility to test the switch of a friend yesterday, and while I did enjoy MegaMan 11 a lot I wonder: am I the only one that considers the standard controller horrible? (e.g.: Sliding with MegaMan is a nightmare on analogue and also with the "pseudo-d-pad") The buttons are all so close to each other I did end up pressing the wrong ones half of the time.

I feel you, Berry. The D-pad of the Pro controller is better, yet still not perfect.

Edit: I wonder if there's an SNK four button Labo Kit JoyBoard? ;).

Last edited: