Official Ng.com Members Cooking Thread...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hello...

Welcome to Rots Cook Info Guide.. today we have OXTAIL STEW:

Teh Ingredients:

Onions, Chopped up in big chunks...
IMG_0457_zpsmbezs4m8.jpg

Carrots... Oxtail and one oxo cube...
IMG_0458_zpshaqwjfcy.jpg

IMG_0459_zpses2adgt6.jpg

Step 1:

Put a big pan on... add a little oil and Fry up onions... (Don't over fry...)
IMG_0460_zpspo1rxugl.jpg

Add Oxtail and TRY to brown most of it off (not important as it cooks anyway...)
IMG_0461_zps4suztkve.jpg

IMG_0462_zps9ysrbist.jpg

Step 2:

Add water... and oxo cube... MIX THOUROUGHLY...
IMG_0463_zpstwt0hpr0.jpg

Put the pan on SUPER Simmer... aka... very low heat...
IMG_0464_zpsndq8pj6d.jpg

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Just raise the lid a little bit... so the steam can escape...

IMG_0466_zpsoxuzuhge.jpg

Step 3:

Just check up on it every 30 minutes to make sure the cooker flame is still on... and to stir up the contencts...

After ONE hour... looks like this...
IMG_0467_zpszmqk5c8p.jpg

After 3 Hours....
IMG_0468_zpsffcegbd6.jpg

After 3 hours THEN add carrots and stir:
IMG_0469_zpskvra34hz.jpg

Step 4:

Place LID fully on and stir every 30 minutes...

FOUR HOURS... its done...
IMG_0471_zpsbeeo7bps.jpg

The Oxtail should be falling off the bone and really tender... Pour into bowl and eat...

(Encona sauce... optional:D)

IMG_0473_zpsnkugztsx.jpg

IMG_0474_zpsuitqe4xf.jpg

xROTx

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Looks damn good, man I love oxtail!

Might have to try this sometime. :buttrock:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Nice writeup man, looks good!

Do you also know how to make Pho by chance? I need to learn how to make that.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Nice writeup man, looks good!

Do you also know how to make Pho by chance? I need to learn how to make that.

Yes... depends on which variety tho...

There's lots of soup based methods... I can do that I suppose...

Want an Oxtail and Beef based Pho recipe? I can do that next...

xROTx

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yes... depends on which variety tho...

There's lots of soup based methods... I can do that I suppose...

Want an Oxtail and Beef based Pho recipe? I can do that next...

xROTx

Yeah beef would be great, it's not so easy to find oxtail over here it seems.
Thanks dude

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
i hate onions

i hate them so much

Me too, but mainly if they're served raw. Cooked down like this, though, I'm OK with it.

I'd probably use beef stew cuts instead of oxtail since I know my kids won't eat it knowing what it is. Really love the simplicity of this recipe.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Stew looks tasty, onions and all. Thanks for sharing, Rot.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
i hate onions

i hate them so much

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=onions

Anyone who doesn't like onions
is an idiot.
Onions rule!
Every time someone utters the phrase, "I don't like onions," my face crumples up with hate that bubbles up from my pores and escapes through my cracked skin. If there was a service that specialized in punching a massive number of people, I would single-handedly keep them in business by paying for every last anti-onionite to get socked in the eyes.
I like onions because I'm an adult. You may think you don't like onions, but unless you have the taste perception of a dog, you're full of shit. That's because everything worth eating has onions in it. Don't believe me? Here's a list of foods that onion-haters like, despite the fact that they contain onions:

Pizza. Think your rancorous hatred of onions is sated by not ordering them on your pizza? What do you think gives the sauce its flavor, dipshit?
Burgers. Patties are seasoned with onion powder. Pull your head out of your ass.
Stuffing. Onions make those giant clots of bread worth shoving into your ugly, hateful mouth.
Onion rings. Inexplicably, some onion haters will order onion rings, despite the fact that onion rings are made with onions. "Well I don't mind onion rings." So fried onions get to keep their seat in the front of the bus in your world? You know what, don't eat onions; we don't need your charity.
Ramen. Wow, more onions. It's almost like onions are in everything. Hmm, where have I heard that? Oh yeah, right at the start of this fucking list.
Fried chicken. Keep shoving that breading into your tooth-hole, lardass! The onion-powder in the batter gives your taste buds purpose.
Gravy, BBQ, coleslaw, ranch dressing, etc, etc. Onions, onions, onions. Onions make you feel unstoppable.
Everything has onions in it. I love onions with all my heart and soul. My girlfriend was giving me a piggy-back ride to the grocery store the other day because I didn't want to scuff up my new shoes. She was huffing down the frozen pizza aisle when I overheard some hipster chick saying "Ewww, onions!" I jumped off my woman's back and slid over like a smooth criminal. Her boyfriend shrieked, "dude, what's your problem?" That's when a clerk tossed an onion at me from the produce aisle. I immediately dropped into a handstand and donkey-kicked the onion into the hipster-chick's yapper. She started chewing like a horse and crying tears of joy. She was so happy that she gave me her number, which I drop-kicked out of her hand and into her boyfriend's skull. She asked me how she could ever repay me, and I gave her a stern look. She thought that look meant "suicide." She was right.

She said "I know what I have to do." Then she waddled over to the houseware aisle, grabbed a potato peeler and started peeling off her own face. Then I watched as she slowly ate her face for the next 15 minutes, piece by piece until she bled to death. Her final words to me were "forgive me." I said "no" in sign language, and then she died.

By now the manager of the store had come by and said "Sir, you have to leave." But I didn't hear anything because I was thinking about something else. He then got a mop and tried smacking me with it. I ducked like a drunken master, then sprung back up and slammed him in the chin with my butt. He started crying hot salty tears, so I hopped back on my woman's back to ride her off into the sunset. Just then a security guard jumped out in my way. Big mistake. I shook my head and in one solid motion, reached into my pants, took out my balls, and then in super slow motion, I swung them like a sling and smashed his face. It caused severe fractures to the sinus, naso-orbital ethmoid and lacrimal bones. He required extensive surgery and was never able to fully speak again.

Onions rule.

Onion stocks are up 578,013% because of this article.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
If you cook it right... The onions just "dissappear" as the stock for the stew...

Sadly... it does take about 4 hours on simmer...:D

xROTx

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Rot, does it need any condiments, like salt or pepper or something? It looks very tasty BTW.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Rot, does it need any condiments, like salt or pepper or something? It looks very tasty BTW.

Not really... However, you can put peppers in and stuff if you like... it's just a base... you can put anything you want in it:D

xROTx

PS. I prefer mine sorta beefy tasting with encona for the extra kick:D

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I love onions!

Wouldn't this be easier to cook this in a crockpot?

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
The Jamaican place down the street From my work has ox tail soup and I was curious what it would be like. I appreciate the visual aid makes it look worth trying assuming it's made similar.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i personally love onions. what do you have this with, rot? rice or bread?. i make a guinness and beef or a rabbit stew (made with chicken) and they go great with rice.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The Jamaican place down the street From my work has ox tail soup and I was curious what it would be like. I appreciate the visual aid makes it look worth trying assuming it's made similar.

I assume it's the same process... I would also assume they take the meat off the bone as well:D

I don't... I like being teh savage...

i personally love onions. what do you have this with, rot? rice or bread?. i make a guinness and beef or a rabbit stew (made with chicken) and they go great with rice.

I like mine with bread...

xROTx