Most underrated Neo game

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member

Is Ninja Commando underrated though? It's a great game but also has always fetched a decent price. (At least, English AES version was a little pricey for an older title even back in the day.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I think it is quite overlooked in the Neo Library. Rather old game from '93 and from ADK which are two factors to keep most gamers away. Plus it has that old-style-appeal of the early Neo Geo titles (rainbow colored bars and such) which may turn it down for some folks. But except for that it really shines in all other aspects. Fast and funny gameplay, decent graphics, good cutscenes, an appealing soundtrack and a nice storyline to keep you going. Hell, there are even special moves for each character - you probably never know if you don't look in the manual (they are quite elaborate to perform).

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I think it is quite overlooked in the Neo Library. Rather old game from '93 and from ADK which are two factors to keep most gamers away. Plus it has that old-style-appeal of the early Neo Geo titles (rainbow colored bars and such) which may turn it down for some folks. But except for that it really shines in all other aspects. Fast and funny gameplay, decent graphics, good cutscenes, an appealing soundtrack and a nice storyline to keep you going. Hell, there are even special moves for each character - you probably never know if you don't look in the manual (they are quite elaborate to perform).

Wow, I was missing my manual for this particular title. That's interesting to know.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Just an example for Ryu Eagle's Bursting Ultimate Attack:

:up::downb::downf::upb::upf::down::A:

And that wasn't a typo. WTF? :)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Oh.... I'm..... Not OK with that. That's a big dev fail. :/

Ehh not really.

Hmm, the other underrated Neo game thread includes a bit about Ninja Command Move. Maybe they should be merged into 1 thread.

Lot's of people going "omg you need autofire", but if you stick to command moves 100% of the time like one should, you'd know autofire would be useless.

Joe's moves are really easy to do charge :down: :up::A: Also, qcf or qcb A

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Lot's of people going "omg you need autofire", but if you stick to command moves 100% of the time like one should, you'd know autofire would be useless.

Joe's moves are really easy to do charge :down: :up::A: Also, qcf or qcb A

Yeah ASID is right on the money, the autofire is completely useless. I had to learn this the hardway. Joe's charge attack makes the game way more fair until the final stage. I spam the shit out of that move.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I think Crossed Swords for sure. King of monsters 1 and 2 are both great as well. The genesis versions were very good too!

Raguy

New Challenger
Perhaps Galaxy Fight is underrated, it's true that on gameplay side, it is limited .
But Galaxy Fight is a game that i like emphasize when discussing the technical capacity of neo geo.
Background with huge sense of depth, multiple background layers and parallax.
Great use of capacity when we know that neo geo is a 100 % sprite machine with 0 background layer ( or tile layer ) on hardware feature.

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher
Zupapa is a gem imo which I don't hear getting talked about too much in general NG discussions.

I have to admit I hadn't played it until a got a 161 in 1 a while back and I'm absolutely addicted to it. It reminds me a bit of getting lost in a Nintendo Game and Watch when I was a kid. Absolutely addictive!

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I think Ninja Masters is pretty overlooked. It's not a "really" great game, but it's a very fun game with a lot of personality.

Also King of Fighters 95 and 96 tend to get overlooked. Not a huge fan of 94 despite it being the first I saw and played back in the arcades. 95 stepped it up, improving upon the former in every way possible. 96 pushed aspects of the series forward as well, and the game just has a lot of charm. From 97 and up generally the games are very loved and rightfully so. I just feel as a result people tend to ignore the previous titles, and I think 95 and 96 are also very worthy of people's attention.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Zupapa is a gem imo which I don't hear getting talked about too much in general NG discussions.

Zupapa might've been more talked about had it been released earlier as intended. That Bubble Bobble/Snow Bros style was still fairly popular at that point, but by 2001 few cared. It's a great change of pace for the system.

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
Captain Tomaday is the first game that comes to mind. Original take on a shooter (alternating hands), and creative upgrades make the game standout.

I also have a blast playing SDB. Great two player game.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Crossed Swords was one of my early titles and I didn't expect to get so much into like I did. It was my Dark Souls at the time, so awesome and completely underrated.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Captain Tomaday is the first game that comes to mind. Original take on a shooter (alternating hands), and creative upgrades make the game standout.

+1
One of my favorite shooters of any platform, But it doesn't seem to get much love.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Crossed Swords was one of my early titles and I didn't expect to get so much into like I did. It was my Dark Souls at the time, so awesome and completely underrated.

Could not agree more. I am going to sit down and play through the second one when I get a chance.

kaironman

n00b
People says that Tecmo World Soccer '96 is the worst football-soccer game of the System but i do not agree. IMHO is way better than Goal! Goal! Goal!, Pleasure Goal or the first and last Super Sidekicks (1 and 4). It's simple and fast to play, perfect for vs playing. I used to play it on a bar in the 90s with a friend, we used to drink a shot every match (the looser paying).

tecmo1.jpg

tecmo3.jpg

tecmo2.jpg

tecmo6.jpg

tecmo4.jpg

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I vote KOF 99, its right after the 98' which many people consider the pinnacle of the series and before 2000 which did the strikers better but its still a really solid fighter with some amazing stages and music.

Its pretty difficult picking just one underrated game, another one that hasnt been mentioned is Soccer Brawl