Most underrated Neo game

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Waku Waku 7. No one ever talks about how great this game is, they just want it because it's hard to find. It's a great game with personality.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
won't say it's the most underrated, but ultimate 11 is one that not a lot of people talk about. it's a really good game, and probably my favourite footaball/soccer game ever.

CrystalCore

Crazed MVS Addict
I vote KOF 99, its right after the 98' which many people consider the pinnacle of the series and before 2000 which did the strikers better but its still a really solid fighter with some amazing stages and music.

Its pretty difficult picking just one underrated game, another one that hasnt been mentioned is Soccer Brawl

You know what game Soccer Brawl is kinda similar to? The SNES game "Megaman Soccer." Go play MMS if you don't believe me.

Waku Waku 7. No one ever talks about how great this game is, they just want it because it's hard to find. It's a great game with personality.

I love how it parodies tired anime tropes, like giant robots, maid girls, and My Little Totoro.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Neighbor you mean I'm sure.

As for kof99, charging Robah FTW. I think every kof is great but then again I'm a huge fan of KOF2001, I feel it gets a lot of shit for the pale backgrounds and I agree about that but the gameplay is crazy good, the move set on most characters is insane. Best Robert in the series, best Heidern, best Terry specially going back to a charging raising tackle instead of dp. Dreamcast KOF2001 has some bonus stages from previous kofs, would be awesome if they had extended that some more.

Kof 99 Evolution was really great, I actually like those DC retooled ports a lot but that's another subject.

kaironman

n00b
won't say it's the most underrated, but ultimate 11 is one that not a lot of people talk about. it's a really good game, and probably my favourite footaball/soccer game ever.
I dont like its playing mechanic at all. To score goals, you must have your power bar complete, otherwise the keeper will stop any shot you make. And to fill the power ball, you need to pass the ball aimlessly.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Don't agree at all, ultimate 11 plays well, I just don't like the bigger sprites, I think SS3 and NGC98 are the best of the series, 2 is good as well though, all of them are really.

Crossed Swords and Windjammers are still favorites of mine even though they don't get mentioned often.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
I think Galaxy fight is a pretty under-rated fighter for the neo geo. Having no walls/corners can lead to some interesting moments.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Top Hunter, zupapa, and spinmaster are great games that i hardly ever hear about.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
In my humble opinion, the World Heroes franchise is the most underrated!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
the neo scene is way too small and insular to make way for something that can be termed underrated and hidden gem.
everything on the system could be termed underrated if compared to mainstream games on other systems. this is niche gaming like no other.
I appreciate a thread such as this because it brings up some long forgotten games, but it does seem to be an exercise in futility. I would have asked what unpopular game would you personally rate. but then it isn't my thread
I never thought NAM was rated btw. surprised

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
the neo scene is way too small and insular to make way for something that can be termed underrated and hidden gem.
everything on the system could be termed underrated if compared to mainstream games on other systems. this is niche gaming like no other.
I appreciate a thread such as this because it brings up some long forgotten games, but it does seem to be an exercise in futility. I would have asked what unpopular game would you personally rate. but then it isn't my thread
I never thought NAM was rated btw. surprised

Good point. It could definitely be said that anything good on the neo that isn't KOF or Metal Slug related is underrated from a mainstream gaming perspective.

CrystalCore

Crazed MVS Addict
Good point. It could definitely be said that anything good on the neo that isn't KOF or Metal Slug related is underrated from a mainstream gaming perspective.

Waku Waku 7 has to be in the running on the Neo Geo for best fighting game not made by SNK. It's definitely an underrated game, too.

Seriously, you can play as My Neighbor Totoro in a fighting game. You can't say that's not funny at least.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Blue's Journey, Top Hunter, and Spinmaster are all fairly underrated in my book.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
what's so good about Blue's Journey? I had that back in the day, it's a funky little game. by funky I mean kind of crap
same with Top Hunter
Sinmaster I think is awesome to this day, not underrated by any means.
all in my shitty opinion ofcourse

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Money Puzzle Exchanger, hands down VERY underrated. The player's stacking skill really comes into play with fast math skills. If you ever watch two people who are good at it, it's crazy competitive.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yeah I don't think Blues Journey is underrated at all. It gets talked about because it's one of the few platformers on the system, any other 16-bit system of the day it'd be nothing more than average if even that. SPEEEEN MASTAH is far superior.

Spin Master > Top Hunter > Blue's Journey
X > 2
MVS > CD > AES
Curly fries > shoestring fries > waffle fries > steak fries
Beach Boys > Beatles