Nintendo NX: What you all thinking so far? Possible fail, or Nintendo's game changer?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Small update.
Nintendo Switch debuts on the Jimmy Fallon show.
They show off the console in person, show the system docked and in handheld mode.

Skip to 5:00 minutes if you just want to watch the Switch.

Looks like they are still aiming for that weird March release date even though it looks like it's ready now.
From the very little that they showed of Zelda it is already running better than on the Wii U, with no noticeable slowdown and less pop up.
They also showed them un-docking the system while they were playing Zelda and the Switch handled the transition to portable mode without any hitch.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I don't know where this no one likes me stuff is coming from as I don't go about trying to make enemies here, but as far as a meltdown goes, if it happened it would be a first for a message board. I'd put it on LWK as the crazy is mounting with those responses to poppy among others.

Don't take this shit seriously man. It's a Dr Shroom post: Aside from neo talk it's what keeps this place entertaining.

Back on topic: You made a lot of valid points about nintendo's crappy network choices. Hopefully they get this one right. Time will tell.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Don't take this shit seriously man. It's a Dr Shroom post: Aside from neo talk it's what keeps this place entertaining.

Back on topic: You made a lot of valid points about nintendo's crappy network choices. Hopefully they get this one right. Time will tell.

Says the noob.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Small update.
They show off the console in person, show the system docked and in handheld mode.

Looks like they are still aiming for that weird March release date even though it looks like it's ready now.
From the very little that they showed of Zelda it is already running better than on the Wii U, with no noticeable slowdown and less pop up.
They also showed them un-docking the system while they were playing Zelda and the Switch handled the transition to portable mode without any hitch.

Thanks for sharing. I'm not too excited. I do like the fact the switch looks like a 90s gaming device in terms of shape and design. As long as the games are good though, I'll be there

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
oh my god they are organizing a cartel

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Small update.

Fallon was terribly annoying in that.

I think the Switch still looks pretty cool.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
If I have money, I will get the new Zelda game for the Switch.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Fallon was terribly annoying in that.

I think the Switch still looks pretty cool.

Fallon has always annoyed the piss out of me. Something about him makes me feel like 8th graders wearing fedoras and laughing hysterically while sober to Family Guy are his greatest fans. And dudes who are single and think that being a giant boner in a suit is awesome

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Fallon has always annoyed the piss out of me. Something about him makes me feel like 8th graders wearing fedoras and laughing hysterically while sober to Family Guy are his greatest fans. And dudes who are single and think that being a giant boner in a suit is awesome

He's a yes man and not remotely funny.

I agree with you.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i remember the only time in the past 5+ years that i voluntarily tuned in to Fallon was when Trump made his guest appearance, and I wanted to watch it, so I did. There was like a music guest and all that and i remember like while the dude was still performing, Fallon cockwalked on stage and like grabbed the mic out of the dudes hand and started singing the lyrics to the song and from what I could infer it was probably a black thing and idk i felt some serious secondhand embarassment for the actual frontman of the band, who had kind of retreated

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
tracy morgan told fallon not to do his laughing shit if they were in the same skit on SNL. fallon never broke character with tracy after that.
can't believe this guy hosts The Tonight Show. he got so lucky things didn't work out for Conan.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm a big Nintendo whore so I'll get it if I have the jing.

fake

15 Year Member
The new rumor is that the Switch's GPU will take a 40% (or 60% depending on how you math) hit when undocked. This is not because the dock has extra processing power in it, but because the Switch's heat generation goes out of control at 100% and battery life depletes quickly. So the unit automatically underclocks in order to keep it cool and hit the battery life target. :keke:

The sub-rumor is that devs need to create two versions of each game, one for the docked and one for undocked. I don't buy this, though.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
yeah I was reading about this. it makes for a potentially messy situation. personally was never too convinced about the portable/docking thing - it's kind of a boring idea. something like this could break what was a chief idea behind the console.
if it is the case I'm sure that a year or two down the road, Nintendo will bring out a revised version, one which will have addressed these issues. but maybe by then no one will really care anymore.

fake

15 Year Member
yeah I was reading about this. it makes for a potentially messy situation. personally was never too convinced about the portable/docking thing - it's kind of a boring idea. something like this could break what was a chief idea behind the console.
if it is the case I'm sure that a year or two down the road, Nintendo will bring out a revised version, one which will have addressed these issues. but maybe by then no one will really care anymore.

Yeah, they can't wait a year or two if they want third party support. This thing has to sell hundred of thousands of units out the gate to convince devs to A) make new games or B) downgrade their existing games and cross their fingers that the games sell.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
The Digital Foundry guys confirm the specs of the Switch

I was hoping they would have gone with Pascal and not Maxwell but looks like the timing might have been off a bit.
I'm not too disappointed since I've looked at this more as a handheld than as a console, and as a handheld, this is pretty powerful.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
The Tegra X1 isn't that much of a surprise, but it will be limiting. At least the SDK will be much further along than most launch consoles.

The 40% hit when undocked was a bit of a surprise. I'm sure it's for battery life, but most devs are just going to use this as max spec for simplicity. Who is going to waste time testing Full GPU and 60% GPU?

Nintendo has done hardware upgrades for the DS and 3DS, so I wouldn't be surprised if a Pascal Tegra happens in a year or two.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
The new rumor is that the Switch's GPU will take a 40% (or 60% depending on how you math) hit when undocked. This is not because the dock has extra processing power in it, but because the Switch's heat generation goes out of control at 100% and battery life depletes quickly. So the unit automatically underclocks in order to keep it cool and hit the battery life target. :keke:

The sub-rumor is that devs need to create two versions of each game, one for the docked and one for undocked. I don't buy this, though.

That hit, it's just on the a/v end of things. The core mechanics, AI and other operations don't take the hit. I saw all the stupid use of the world 'assume' Digital Foundry repeatedly did since htey just know some core specs and none of the added tweaks or customizations in code/parts involved yet. There won't be a need to make 2 games. But, in turn it will need to be made in a way like Android (or even PC) games are done. You have the high spec device, and the low spec device. They both run the game the same speed, same core mechanics, AI and the rest, but the beefier device (ie Switch docked) will look and sound remarkably better while the handheld presentation will be degraded without gameplay quality loss. Sort of like getting a good PC game on 2 machines, one is a gamer box, the other uses Intel HD 4600 -- both can run 60fps, but one will run ULTRA settings, the other will use a mix of Low/Medium.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Well I supposed it's subjective as to whether it runs "better" when docked or "worse" when portable, but as Nintendo has almost exclusively marketed the Switch as a portable, I'm going with "worse". When the main selling point comes with a 40-60% caveat, that's a big issue.