The Berenst#in Bears Problem: Are We Living In An Alternate Worldline?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
For what it's worth we always said STAIN here.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
When I was a kid, I would say stain... But as I got older I thought it was stein... Since Stein is a much more common nomenclaturary* suffix.

*nomenclaturary is not a real word but I would like it to be one.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Was this one in the pile by chance? :keke:

berenstain_bears_get_replaced_by_mahboi_dinner-d4vwxmu.png

LOL, did they really do this, get different kinds of bears to represent different races?

Never liked the Berenstein Bears much, I was more a fan of Rupert and Arthur (though he is an ardvark).

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
nearly every campus tour guide that stops by my office refers to Rod Serling as Rod STerling. It drives me fucking nuts. But I never say anything to the fuckers in recruiting. I'm sure the person that trains the guides calls him Rod Sterling.

Shit is almost as annoying as people who say Libary... Or Baffroom.

And yet your grammar and spelling are terrible. How ironic.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
This is pretty crazy, I remember it as -stein as well. Another similar thing that I couldn't believe is Donkey Kong 2 is Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, and NOT Diddy Kong's Quest even though it is one of my favorite games of all time and spent hundreds of hours with it as a kid.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
LMBO great thread

Berenstain > Berenstein jew bears, faggots

This isn't even debatable. Standing alongside 'sage on this one. Who in their right mind would say berenSTINE bears?

Also, this thread has makings of a classic.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
This isn't even debatable. Standing alongside 'sage on this one. Who in their right mind would say berenSTINE bears?

Also, this thread has makings of a classic.
Yeah loving this thread. Haven't been so confused and yet highly entertained in a while.

I'm still trying to figure out what I remember it being. My daughter has a few of the books... Need to find them now. I always remembered Berenstein.

Or I'm just being pulled into the grand suck hole of internet fucktardery.

Or this whole thing is a result of near- middle aged folks simply failing at remembering the exact title of a book.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvoyoP4UUw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V5kCx-Oz0Y

Yeah yeah some of these are just people with bad memory or just saying what comes naturally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq8zFLIftGk

Tiamen Square I clearly remember this guy getting run over, the tank stops pivots to the left he jumps in front of it again, a second of pause then it starts to run him over he stats to go underneath the tank and the video cuts out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq8zFLIftGk

He jumps on top of the tank meets the crew jumps down gets in the way again and then people whisk him off.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Anyone remember the Movie "Shazaam" with Sinbad?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Anyone remember the Movie "Shazaam" with Sinbad?

No I remember Shaq, but I could swear I remember seeing a vcr box at the rental store or maybe commercials of some cheesy timeline movie from the early 90's where he was a pirate genie or something.
Nothing on IMDB from around that time.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, Shazaam never existed, but there are people out there who swear it did. Most people confuse it with Shaq's Kazaam.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Only Shazam I know is an old wizard who gave Billy Batson powers and become the original Big Red Cheese...CAPTAIN MARVEL!!!

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I just read about the sinbad movie not existing, I do recall it existed though, really strange. Never saw the one with Shaq.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have other memories of things that don't exist. One I can recall clearly was a Transformers episode I remember seeing, but had believed it to be in Season 3. Even up until the early 2000s, and it was around 2002-03 that I had finally got Season 3 on DVD and was able to watch the whole thing. Only to find out the episode I remember was not there. It was a weird situation because I had found other people on TF forums that had clearly remembered episodes that did not exist also. We had come to the conclusion that these memories were either from other shows, commercials or a mixture of real episodes and other shows, commercials or movies. It does not explain the issue with so many people believing that Optimus Prime turned to dust in TFTM... but it is likely similar.

I have had a more recent sort of thing like this happen to me. And by more recent, I mean in relation to something not from when I was 7 or 10 years old. During the mid 90s, when I was finally able to rent my own VHS from Blockbuster or whatever place, I clearly remember a movie being shown in trailers (coming soon) that I wanted to see, but it never ended up being shown in the theater or being available for rent. I waited some years and I had always figured it was a movie that made it to trailer stage but was not released. This is not uncommon, I mean there was trailers for that 90s X-Men movie that ended up on some VHS rentals also. Anyways, this trailer was some movie starring Gary Sinise about mistaken identity in the future. The problem is, that this movie does exist, it is Imposter and was released in 2001. I have it now and have seen it, it seems similar but not the same. The other problem is these trailers were in movies well before 2001 and I knew who Gary Sinise was, Forrest Gump came out in 1994.
Here is the IMDB for Imposter: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160399/
So this one is that I remember seeing trailers for Imposter (or some other similar movie) for many years before it came out.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

I remember very distinctly when I was younger watching the trailer for Half Baked, and it had Brian jumping over parking meters and hitting his nads. It never shows up in the movie, but sure enough it's in the trailer (47 seconds in):

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I remember very distinctly when I was younger watching the trailer for Half Baked, and it had Brian jumping over parking meters and hitting his nads. It never shows up in the movie, but sure enough it's in the trailer (47 seconds in):

That's super common, lots of trailers do that. Another tactic is they take two scenes out of the movie and run them together out of context and make something different then what actually happens in the movie. It's funny you mentioned that as I noticed that the first time I saw the movie and had scene the commercial a dozen times before hand and immediately wondered how I missed that scene as soon as I saw that commercial again.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
One Mandala Effect I have just encountered revolves around The Wizard of Oz movie.

While watching it as a kid, I have a very clear memory of the scene where Dorothy and the Scarecrow are leaving with the Tin Man. Right before the scene fades out, in the far background, you can see something drop out of one of the trees, apparently, suspended by a rope. It clearly looked like someone had just hung themselves. I always thought it was odd that the director/post production team would have left that in the final version.

Flash forward to today. AVGN has been reviewing the Wizard of Oz movies and the books they are based on...so, watched that and something popped up in my recommended videos. Apparently, there is a huge conspiracy involving older VHS copies and whether or not they have the version I remember or, what appears to be a crane or, emu instead of a suicide caught on film.

Jon