Best PRG console

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
i just was wondering which in your opinion was or is the best RPG related console?

Mine is SNES cause of the exclusive contract with squaresoft.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I would go w/ PS1. They remade pretty much most of the Square RPG on that console.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Super Nintendo, easily.

Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals is by far the best game ever made, and it's only on Super Nintendo.

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
ahh i remember playing this one good point...was chrono trigger at the ps1 too?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Nintendo ds is a good honorable mention. Not that I have the attention span for rpgs anymore. Chronotrigger and the Dark Spire on DS were fantastic though.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
genesis RPG's were some sleeper hits, but it's hard to argue with SNES.

GBA, DS, and PS1 had more games by volume - but i dont think our age group played most of them. PS2 could be argued as well, but JRPG was pretty cut&paste by then. Same shit over and over.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Gameboy advance had some really good rpgs.
Though to be honest, I havent really played many RPGs on consoles.
Most my rpg gamig has been on pc which I believe was the platform that did the genre best.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Reason why picked PS1 besides them remaking the snes rpg.

PS1 - Suikoden 2, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy 7 & 9, Final Fantasy V, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Tales of Destiny, Grandia, Valkeyre Profile, Vandal Hearts, Kartia, Brigandine, even Beyond the Beyond
Didn't get a chance to play the other ones like Breath of Fire, Wild Arms, or Lunar but they are there too...

This was a time when i can actually play an rpg without any worries or responsibilities. Fuck school, didn't have a girlfriend, no job...just games, jacking off, getting fat, & sleeping...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A personal favorite is the SNES, but a strong case could be made for the PSP. Hear me out here. The PSP was the home for a lot of great original RPGs, and most of the PS1 RPGs are on PSN and can be played on it. Plus, a lot of the older stuff has ports to either PS1 or PSP, so they are playable on the thing. Final Fantasy, Ys, Lunar, Persona, Tactics Ogre, all on one system. The only thing it's missing is Dragon Quest.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would say PC doesn't count. It spans all generations.
I've put more time into skyrim than any other RPG to date tho. excluding MMORPGs

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
RPG thread yay!

Grant me power of the uru mallet all father and I shall ban them all in one swoop in the name of the all seeing eye! Forsooth!
mjolnir_1.jpg

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm going to take a stab and say either the PS1 or SNES....probably with the SNES winning out by a bit.

If you can read Japanese...I guess the PC engine is loaded with them...but...you know, that Japanese TXT.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Final Fantasy 2
Secret of Mana
Lagoon
YsIII
Final Fantasy 3
Chrono Trigger

Man, the old days.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
PSP

PSP has most of the good Psx RPGs remade and also the ability to play psx games that are on psn. It also has some of its own RPGs as well.

I feel RPGs are more enjoyable on handhelds. You can grind while you on the bus or dropping a deuce.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I can't really do an RPG longer than maybe 20 hours on the TV, but I can do a 40 hour RPG on a handheld in a relatively short period of time. I stopped buying console RPGS in the PS2 era, with a couple of exceptions. Grandia II may be the most recent console RPG that I actually completed, but I have played several on the handhelds.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Final Fantasy 2
Secret of Mana
Lagoon
YsIII
Final Fantasy 3
Chrono Trigger

Man, the old days.

And the nearly limitless time to play them...yeah, those were the days...

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'll put in a vote for PS2. PS1 RPGs were amazing for the time, but a lot of them feel dated at this point and I have trouble going back and replaying anything other than Final Fantasy Tactics and Suikoden 1. There are plenty of PS2 RPGs that I still haven't gotten tired of going back to, though:
SMT Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
Persona 3 and 4
Final Fantasy X and XII
Shadow Hearts 1-3
DQ8
Valkryie Profile 2
Edit: Rogue Galaxy
Maybe Xenosaga trilogy, though it bogs down after the first one

Last edited:

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
let me ask what in your opinions is missing in the today rpgs?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's not that things are missing, it's that there's too much. I don't have 60 hours to play a single video game. Also, a lot of them have overly complicated battle mechanics for no real purpose. I do, however, like that a lot of RPGs do not have random encounters anymore.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Yeah i blame time,i can only play rpg w/ my psp. I only play it when i take a shit, so that's maybe 5-10minutes of game time.