Best PRG console

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
the turn based fighting system was really a good thing ...well ich i like to hack too...maybe the should leave us the choice between these two?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
the turn based fighting system was really a good thing ...well ich i like to hack too...maybe the should leave us the choice between these two?

I agree. Too many times the industry takes a new trumps old approach. It would be like saying "We know you like and enjoy pork chops, but we've decided steak is the new thing so we will no longer offer pork." This happened with 3D games vs 2D games. For a long time, 3D was where the entire industry moved, nearly abandoning 2D. That was a mistake. It seems the industry is beginning to figure out that 2D can still exist.

Focusing on the FF series, the combat has become convoluted and complicated in many cases. Now...some may like this but I do not.

My largest fear for RPGs is "pay-for" items. Buy your way to a victory. No more searching to find that elusive, powerful item...no, pay $6.99 and get it right now. This will completely kill them in my mind.

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
very good point...its the same thing with having a basis game and u have to buy like 10 DLC for it to have all the chars! ridiculous..

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
very good point...its the same thing with having a basis game and u have to buy like 10 DLC for it to have all the chars! ridiculous..

Possibly its my age...or stubbornness...or whatever, but this "pay per action/item/quest/etc" shit is something I refuse to do. If this is the new trend, so be it...but I want nothing to do with it.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Possibly its my age...or stubbornness...or whatever, but this "pay per action/item/quest/etc" shit is something I refuse to do. If this is the new trend, so be it...but I want nothing to do with it.

This is my thinking as well. If the game was free I wouldn't paying a *little* for certain things, but when I've bought a disc and then I'm required to pay more for almost *essential* events/sub-quests/items etc then I draw the line and refuse to play the game.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
This is my thinking as well. If the game was free I wouldn't paying a *little* for certain things, but when I've bought a disc and then I'm required to pay more for almost *essential* events/sub-quests/items etc then I draw the line and refuse to play the game.

Nope, if it's not a complete, self-contained experience then I don't want it.

I'm not paying a single dime past the initial asking price for a game, and I would never "pay to win", fuck that. And no, I'm not dropping a dollar on a costume change for my character or a weapon, are they crazy!?

The only exception to that would be a full-fledged expansion pack with at least another half of the original game's length. And I want it on disc.

I also don't play MMO's for this reason. Once I pay the shelf price, I shouldn't have to drop more money.

Needless to say, I haven't spent much money on new releases in the past 5 years.

Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Gonna have to go with the Playstation. It was the console that made gaming for me more than just a fun past time, and it was RPGs, Star ocean in particular that started my obsession with the genre, and video games in general.

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
My vote has to go to the PS1. I remember between 1999-2002 all my PS1 collection was RPGs, except for Metal Gear Solid.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I would say SNES. The PS1 remake argument almost swayed me, but fuck it if I will ever put up with PS1-era load times again. I mean Chrono Trigger on the PS1 is nearly unplayable due to load times.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I would say SNES. The PS1 remake argument almost swayed me, but fuck it if I will ever put up with PS1-era load times again. I mean Chrono Trigger on the PS1 is nearly unplayable due to load times.

Bingo. The load times on PS1 RPGs could be brutal at times. The FF collection is pretty horrible.

If you chuck remakes in the mix, I think the title goes to the GameBoy Advanced. There are a ton of awesome RPGs and RPG remakes on that little handheld, it's crazy. The FF collection (I-VI but missing III) on the GBA is damn near perfection.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

I remember when games were finished, when wanting another character or two meant waiting for the sequel that may or may not have arrived. DLC in competitive online games only serves to enable the idiots who spend more the upper hand. In the case of offline games it's just painful. You just paid the ticket price and here's another fucking charge, Oh thanks man that's just what I wanted. Fuck off.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
When I think about my favorite RPGs in consoles, 90% of them are SNES. The SNES Final Fantasy II was incredible. The part where you go underground for the first time and all the dramatic story twists. Then FFIII and Chrono Trigger... Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Lufia II... there were SO MANY good games to get into.

I feel like the console RPG decline (JRPG decline) was after FFVII. Like everyone has said before, silly over complicated game mechanics, stupid character design, overly long game lengths.

Playstation One had some great RPGs (Suikoden, FFTactics, Xenogears), but PS2 only had Dragon Quest VIII. I could never get into the PS2 Final Fantasy games and all the other JRPGs were just too boring.

SNES! I just got a great controller for my Android phone and started playing through Secret of Mana on my lunch break. The old RPGs are SO fun. The music and visuals and pace are relaxing. Can't wait to dig into some of the games I overlooked back in the day and hopefully play all the way through Final Fantasy V for the first time.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Nope, if it's not a complete, self-contained experience then I don't want it.

I'm not paying a single dime past the initial asking price for a game, and I would never "pay to win", fuck that. And no, I'm not dropping a dollar on a costume change for my character or a weapon, are they crazy!?

The only exception to that would be a full-fledged expansion pack with at least another half of the original game's length. And I want it on disc.

I also don't play MMO's for this reason. Once I pay the shelf price, I shouldn't have to drop more money.

Needless to say, I haven't spent much money on new releases in the past 5 years.

I get this point of view as well and for games that I've already purchased a disc/download/cart to play it, then I will not buy anything else. If the games was a free download (such as Phantasy Star Online 2) I may be persuaded to part with a little cash only because I've paid nothing to play the game. Although this has never happened for a game that I've played.

Forget paying for costumes, item packs, exp packs, whatever else. They can keep those.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
SNES for sure. Besides all the usual suspects, Enix was a force when it came to putting out good RPGs on that system, like Robotrek and Paladin's Quest. Then, of course, there are the gems that don't get their due like Secret of Evermore.

PS1 is probably the runner up for me (Xenogears, Grandia, FF: Tactics, BoF3, and Tales of Destiny 1&2 being some of my faves), but Sega Saturn gets an honorable mention.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
The SNES also had a really good import scene, and SFC games were easy to play on your US console. All you had to do was break off some plastic tabs in your system. Star Ocean comes to mind, as well as Dragon Quest V (and VI)

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
The Super Nintendo & Playstation 1 & 2 systems were the best of their time for your RPG goodness.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Yeah, I can't really do an RPG longer than maybe 20 hours on the TV, but I can do a 40 hour RPG on a handheld in a relatively short period of time.

If I ever need a time machine, I am busting down your fucking door. Don't pretend you ain't got one and shit. I done seen the fuck you type. Cover blown.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
what.jpg

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
For me, it's really a toss-up between the SNES and Sega Genesis.

Although the Genesis didn't have a very strong RPG line-up, it did have Phantasy Star 2-4 (in the states). Those games alone make all the difference, IMHO.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
SNES. I recently went to friends house and played an translated version of Seiken Densetsu 3. Such a great game. It got me to start playing secret of mana again. So many awesome titles on the SNES

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I will go with PS3 (60 gig version that has PS2 compatibility). You will have PS3, PS2 and PS1 library of RPGs to play until you are well into your 90s.