'Net Neutrality' wins

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
does this mean I'll be able to comment on youtube and turn off safesearch on google?

I know, it doesn't. was joke, my understanding is that there is supposedly less overreach by govt if you are happy with how it turned out?

cliff notes? I'll go read now. I hope I'm right in my guess and youre not some strightlace type?

.... is it really just about ''fast lanes and throttling''?
is that really a big deal? unless you are a small company who does this make any difference to? meh I'm not going to read anymore, since I think thats all its about.

Last edited:

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Good stuff. Glad this happened.

You have no idea wtf is going on obviously :oh_no:

The Federal Communications Commission is expected on Thursday to approve regulating Internet service like a public utility

Once internet is a public utility it will be regulated. That means that rather than business decisions being made in the marketplace, they will be contrived by politicians and bureaucrats who are, in turn, influenced by the lobbying campaigns. Next thing you know sites start being "regulated" because they are...hmmm... lets say not beneficial for the agenda. This is going to pave the end of the free internet as we know it. Don't see why people are pissing their pants in joy...

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
possibly opening it up to taxing is all I picked up from the article hinting at what the muppet says. it is a promotional article though so.

pretty sure he's right though.. if they weren't allowed to ''regulate'' before they just got their foot in the door so to speak.
really its already monitored and controlled though??? in what ways will it become more restricted and info collecting/ad soaked?

edit: 100proof sounds right to me, I feel better again.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,

Once internet is a public utility it will be regulated. That means that rather than business decisions being made in the marketplace, they will be contrived by politicians and bureaucrats who are, in turn, influenced by the lobbying campaigns. Next thing you know sites start being "regulated" because they are...hmmm... lets say not beneficial for the agenda. This is going to pave the end of the free internet as we know it. Don't see why people are pissing their pants in joy...

No, I think you have no idea and the fact that it isn't government regulated doesn't stop all those contrived politicians WHO OWN, have equity, or receive political funding from these internet companies from charging ridiculous fees, it's just picking the better devil here.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

Not sure whose talking points you're regurgitating but people are "pissing their pants in joy" because the cable oligopoly that currently controls broadband internet in the United States was already taking part in activities that damage the free internet that this move would theoretically put a stop to:

1) Extorting streaming services that compete with their own (Netflix as the primary example) by degrading the speed of packets being delivered to end-users until they paid them off.

2) Bribing local and state governments to "write" laws that essentially outlaw competition, be it from other companies who wish to share pre-existing infrastructure/build their own or from local municipalities fed up with the shit quality of service they were receiving who wished to create their own.

3) Experimenting with billing structures that limit end-users' usage (which limits what businesses will be able to succeed) while exempting their own products from said limits.

The internet is already a public utility. We need it to conduct our daily business, communicate with the outside world and everything in between. You could argue that making the internet a public utility will have unforeseen consequences that may cause problems down the road but the "business decisions" that are currently being made are running roughshod over the American public (whose tax dollars have by-and-large paid for the infrastructure that these companies rely on and refuse to make the necessary upgrades to in order to provide a product competitive with those around the world) and this decision (assuming it's upheld) is a significant step towards reigning these motherfuckers in.

However, if you seriously think sites are going to be "regulated" based on whether or not they agree with someone's agenda, you may need to readjust your tinfoil hat because your reception is off.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
My tinfoil hat I wear it proudly. The reception is good.

You on your side adjust your doodoo hat as it is leaking inside your head. Must be from the hot weather and the global warming. ;)

If you think that those puppets in Washington are going to regulate the internet and make it better you must be living deep in the woods somewhere in North Carolina. The same people who tried to regulate food companies not to label GMOs on their products. The same people who raise the acceptable limit for radiation each time it goes over that limit. The same people who "regulated" fracking?! The same people that are trying to "regulate" and force people to be taxed by the mile ? I can continue forever with this list.

You know that when you pay electricity there is delivery charge right ? Well there will be delivery charge on the internet service also.. as it will be utility also.

What are the necessary updates that the providers are refusing to do that you re talking about? Our internet is expensive and shitty not because the infrastructure is not there .. but because there is monopoly and the costumers are willing to pay a lot for absolute shit. Verizon is running Lan speeds on optical cables.

I am amazed that every time the government is trying to sell us their shit .. there are still people who bite the hook and the sinker. As my work right now is directly involved in what we are talking about I guarantee you that 1- your internet will not get better. 2-your provider won't give you anything more that what you re getting right now. 3-the first regulation will be to force the providers to backup all the traffic and data so there are no more NSA scandals from now on - thus forcing them to hype the price in order to cover for their loses. It is simply naive to think that anything being done is going to be of any benefit to us as consumers.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The internet should be free to every house and funded through the post office (one of the few entities/functions enumerated in the constitution).

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
The internet should be free to every house and funded through the post office (one of the few entities/functions enumerated in the constitution).

Considering the United States Postal Service can't even pull a profit, this sounds like a terrible idea.

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
The same people that are trying to "regulate" and force people to be taxed by the mile ?

Off-topic - but this is happening? I only joked with my brother that this kind of thing would happen in the future...

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Off-topic - but this is happening? I only joked with my brother that this kind of thing would happen in the future...

Sadly yes. They are trying to push it hard from couple of years.

http://www.wbaltv.com/politics/vehicle-miles-traveled-tax-proposed/26446130

(mind you this is old publication and they moved more on that topic... just the first one i grabbed from google)

Next year in Oregon, 5,000 volunteers will have mileage meters installed. They'll pay 1.5 cents a mile instead of a state gas tax.

5000 doodoo hats. Now they will turn around and say how great it is and will sell it to you as car neutrality or some crap. People who bought Tesla or Prius will be quite annoyed I bet you... but hey you can't drive cars like those and pay less taxes as you use less fuel.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

(mind you this is old publication and they moved more on that topic... just the first one i grabbed from google)

5000 doodoo hats. Now they will turn around and say how great it is and will sell it to you as car neutrality or some crap. People who bought Tesla or Prius will be quite annoyed I bet you... but hey you can't drive cars like those and pay less taxes as you use less fuel.
Just no. Stop.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Considering the United States Postal Service can't even pull a profit, this sounds like a terrible idea.

United States Postal SERVICE

It isn't a company, it is a service. It doesn't need to pull a profit.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
United States Postal SERVICE

It isn't a company, it is a service. It doesn't need to pull a profit.

There is that and the fact that they need to self finance, but are also handcuffed with federal employment rules that sucks away all their money.

Try running a business, but also having to adhere to the rules of being a go'vt agency without any of the go'vt funding. All things considered- they aren't doing too bad even though they are hamstringed.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Nope. I just won't bother.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
How do you fund something using something that isn't creating net funds?

Previous savings and held liquid cash. Every day transactions are keeping them afloat as well a payments toward retirement from union dues. Now that there is a huge number of postal retirees, the money that was there before is being pushed towards pensions.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
"The same people I am going to trust to properly regulate the internet for me are the same people I accuse of accepting bribes in exchange for preferential treatment from internet companies."

I almost respect how good politicians have gotten in getting people to think that it is someone else's fault that they give preferential treatment when they are lobbied heavily.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member

In the future they will put weighing mechanisms inside your toilets so they can tax you or your household excrement levels.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Can i ask...

IF a member is posting from a smart phone in a wine bar... using their free wi-fi...

Will it be regulated?

xROTx

PS. I'm only asking because... well... we would stand to lose a mod... and I'd lose a good friend:(

PPS. 'Murika has weird laws... just saying... no drama here...

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Do you really want the same people running the internet... the same ones that thing you can delete emails from a server just by formatting a client PC's hard disk?