'Net Neutrality' wins

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Muppet is just regurgitating right-wing talking points on this issue.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Obviously. I just forget not to touch the poop occasionally.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

He has one good point though... I can only see price increases from internet providers in our future. Whether out of necessity or spite.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
He has one good point though... I can only see price increases from internet providers in our future. Whether out of necessity or spite.

Perhaps. But I would rather be the one to choose how fast my overall internet service is (by choosing what plan to buy), rather than leaving it to the providers to decide how much bandwidth to allocate to different sites/services.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Muppet: a very apt username. I know some Americans pathalogically distrust the government but do you honestly trust mega-corporations more on this or any issue?

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Muppet: a very apt username. I know some Americans pathalogically distrust the government but do you honestly trust mega-corporations more on this or any issue?

theres a difference between the two, haven't they been the same thing for awhile now? just yelling at a complaint wall that belongs to one for the other or directly ignored. neither is all bad, only because nothing can be.:spock: is this right?

MuppeT

War Room Troll

Don't turn this political because I don't care what right or left gotta say about anything. I am speaking what I think based on what observations I have from passed events and experience. What comes in the future lies in the past.

Perhaps. But I would rather be the one to choose how fast my overall internet service is (by choosing what plan to buy), rather than leaving it to the providers to decide how much bandwidth to allocate to different sites/services.

This will not be up to you because after regulating internet as an utility some sites will simply disappear. I never ever ever had problems with accessing any site or suffering of slowdown because presumably the provider has allocated the speed. What is happening right here is the same thing as what happened with the health reform. They sell it to you with a nice pitch and then it hits you right in the kisser.

People need to understand that the only way to get better service is revolting and forcing providers to up the ante. We are 350 000 million country and we got the worst and most limited choice of internet providers and cable TV. And you know why? Because of the freaking regulations! You can't open a company tomorrow and offer internet or cable TV service . Why you may ask ? Because there are plenty regulations that are designed to run out of business the small companies, thus forcing on us the monopoly it is at the moment. After all this leaks and information sharing going on right now forcing the government to face 1 scandal after the other something like this was bound to happen. They failed with SOPA, PIPA and etc.. they came out with this shit now. I am promising you nothing good will come out of this and you will realize it in a couple of years.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
You do realize the internet already operated under network neutrality since its beginnings, right? This isn't some crazy new over-reaching proposal, it's putting the net back to how it was before verizon sued and fucked it up. Network neutrality is NOTHING like SOPA, PIPA, all that bullshit. Network neutrality just means treat all data the same. Don't filter it or throttle it based on source or destination. Remember when comcast was busted for throttling torrent traffic? The only reasons they could get in trouble for traffic shaping were the very regulations that verizon sued to get rid of.

Yes, regulations that resulted in monopolies are a huge problem. That aside, network neutrality is fundamental to the internet as we know it, monopolies or not.

For fucks sake, the internet basically started as a government project. Look up DARPA, NSFNET, and the history of TCP/IP. American taxpayers funded a good percentage of the basis of the internet.

I'm paying for access to the internet. The whole fucking internet. Not the sections of the internet that comcast and verizon feel like letting me get to. If they over-sold bandwidth that's their fucking problem, not the problem of the networks I'm requesting data from that are perfectly capable of sending it.

Does the FCC, especially with a former cable lobbyist in charge, have the capability of fucking this up? Probably. Does that mean I want to let comcast/verizon do whatever the fuck they feel like instead? FUCK. NO.

Last edited:

MuppeT

War Room Troll
I hear what you are saying Pipes. You are 100% right. But they are selling you net neutrality and what you are getting is internet as a freaking utility.. thus it is REGULATED by the government from now on. Like you said internet has been operated under net neutrality and verizon got in trouble for throttling torrents. Didn't it all get resolved? You are just looking at the "neutrality" and not looking past it. Same as the "affordable" care act. Nice sounding bull crap.

Same people who brought you SOPA and PIPA are behind this... and you still believe it is for your benefit?
Do you know the bill is 332 pages? Have you read them? Do you realize that from that bill you may be required a licence to operate a website on the internet? Lets see how this turns out but it will quite the surprise for the foolish. Most probably a parallel network will be hatched from this... hopefully.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
We can always move to Sweden. 100mbps, uncapped, $20/month

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante

Bingo.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Maybe now we get to read the 300+ page plan they have for this.
That is the one thing that has made me most uncomfortable about the whole thing.
This we have to do it to find out what's in it idea.
I overall don't like it, I really hope I'm wrong... But I don't see good things coming.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
my knowledge of this is very limited. From what I understand, some isp's were limiting the speed of some traffic based on whether it was torrents or netflix, etc. Then one of the isp's starting slowing down the speed of netflix until basically netflix paid a ransom to get it uncapped. In the most simplistic way possible, what does the net neutrality law state and what will it do? I've heard so much info from both sides of the aisle, for me it's hard to determine what's true and what is not.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
That's just it, we don't know what's in it.
Keep in mind this isn't a bill being voted on by congress.
This is coming down from a panel of 5 appointed people who pretty much arbitrarily make decisions that can have an effect on everyone.
And they've chosen to keep almost everyone in the dark about it.
What I don't understand is everyone flipping out in one direction or another when practically no one knows what it is all about.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
http://gizmodo.com/fcc-just-overruled-the-state-laws-that-blocked-municipa-1688200941

I live in a community where a municipally owned fiber network was being put in place by a group known as UTOPIA. Comcast caught wind of this and litigated against them for YEARS.. while Utopia finally got past it, it's nearly too late for the group as they have pulled more taxpayer money than expected.

This is the type of bullshit Comcast pulls.. they come in and use their clout to prevent other companies from competing for as long as possible and count on them either giving up or going bankrupt to squash competition. The only other broadband company here is century link and let's face it, they blow.

The Valley south of me has google fibre, and trust me, Comcast threw a fit about that.

I can see this net neutrality launching more municipally owned providers and that's great.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
http://gizmodo.com/fcc-just-overruled-the-state-laws-that-blocked-municipa-1688200941

I live in a community where a municipally owned fiber network was being put in place by a group known as UTOPIA. Comcast caught wind of this and litigated against them for YEARS.. while Utopia finally got past it, it's nearly too late for the group as they have pulled more taxpayer money than expected.

This is the type of bullshit Comcast pulls.. they come in and use their clout to prevent other companies from competing for as long as possible and count on them either giving up or going bankrupt to squash competition. The only other broadband company here is century link and let's face it, they blow.

The Valley south of me has google fibre, and trust me, Comcast threw a fit about that.

I can see this net neutrality launching more municipally owned providers and that's great.

More ISPs would be a huge help, and honestly, an unexpected huge win for consumers out of all this.

MuppeT

War Room Troll

Would be happy to hear what you think on the subject rather than watch some half assed youtube clip called "[forum weapon] [how to troll]" that has been posted at 100000 threads so far always by someone trying to be funny and smart on someone else's back.

You can be funny by posting that on couple of the other forums where people aren't exceptionally happy with you.. just sayin.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
That's just it, we don't know what's in it.
Keep in mind this isn't a bill being voted on by congress.
This is coming down from a panel of 5 appointed people who pretty much arbitrarily make decisions that can have an effect on everyone.
And they've chosen to keep almost everyone in the dark about it.
What I don't understand is everyone flipping out in one direction or another when practically no one knows what it is all about.

This is my only concern with the FCC refusing to release what's in the booklet before it's approved. The lack of transparency is ridiculous.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
America is fucked and raises the prices of everything but doesn't raise people's wages to scale.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
America is fucked and raises the prices of everything but doesn't raise people's wages to scale.

Artificially raising wages to scale just creates inflation because cost of living will then increase and would do nothing. I mean as a reactionary action, not in general.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Artificially raising wages to scale just creates inflation because cost of living will then increase and would do nothing. I mean as a reactionary action, not in general.

Well said. Also raising wages forces companies to slash full time employees to part time or even close business.