MegaMan10 is overrated

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
So, unless you were playing the Famicom in 1983 (when the platform literally had next to nothing good), please shut the fuck up.

What you once again fail to realize is, at the time, there was nothing like the Famicom launch titles. Giant technical leap forward. You praise the 16 bit era games without a thought to what paved the way for that technology. Not to mention that the 16 bit systems had just as many garbage games, if not more, than the 8 bit systems. Yea, 25+ baseball games a year, that is necessary right?

Great games are timeless. If the game aged badly, it isn't great. Never was.

Literally any early 3D game proves this wrong. Those aged horribly, but that does not make the gameplay bad. Just that we have come quite far technologically since.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'll repost this, because I know the heavenly glow radiating off of my posts can sometimes blind people. Not that he's coming back (hopefully you don't).

You're talking about a console genre/sub-genre that generally demands very little from the player (whether it be scoring, implementation of mechanics, whatever). They're almost all unsophisticated and piss easy, and when they're not it's often rooted in bad design or from hardware limitations (which can obviously have a charm to some).

Really though, the core make up of these games didn't make leaps and bounds between generations.

You act like "4th generation" vs. NES is like comparing Yagawa or latter CAVE stuff to old Toaplan clones. The sub-genre on 16-bit systems didn't offer much beyond the better NES titles, other than a freedom of hindrances from the hardware (bad respawns etc like you said)

What type of unique mechanical gimmicks from the 16 bit era didn't exist on the NES (superficial, or otherwise)?

Again, it's clear that you get shit to a degree, but your NES/FC knowledge is still half-baked, and you're assuming everybody is an ignorant retrosexual right off the bat (this genre/sub-genre and older games as a whole surely attracts them these days, many members on this board are no exception).

None of this matters though. Your priority should be learning respect.

I will make you learn it bitch.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
"Retrosexual"? :lolz:

Yes. It needs to be the official definition for those people that superficially associate themselves with video games for the sake of a general "retro" appeal.

Hipster is a meaningless blanket term today and shouldn't be applied to video games. I guess someone can fit the definition of the word if used properly, but some conservative middle America meat-head doesn't magically become a "hipster" if he buys video games most people haven't heard of.

It was a shit term 10 years before it started showing up on McDonald's billboards.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I'm tempted to go check Sega-16 to see if he's started bitching about us yet, but ugh. That's the kind of thing that ruins a perfectly good evening. Let's just hope he's gone and doesn't come back. But in reality he probably just works third-shift at the back-bacon factory.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Your opinion is moot because you weren't there to appreciate and understand those games' relevance in their own time.

I'm sorry that its so hard for you to accept that your douchey behavior belies your age. And yeah, I am an aging nostaliga "fag". Having lived through that era (unlike you) I have a strong attachment to those games.

You remind me of certain other people your age who try to be part of this hobby. You know you're too young to have any real reason to be here, so you try SOOO hard to convince people that "you were there, man!" and it's pathetic. You're 25. So you were born in either 89 or 90. So you were 10 in 99/00 when no one gave a shit about 8 and 16 bit consoles anymore. I should take you seriously because you played some SNES when it was still relevant, when you were in kindergarten?

I disagree with that statement, just because we weren't there when it was hype does not mean we can't appreciate it.

I am 26, I was born in 88 and I have a strong attachment to the Nintendo and Super Nintendo.

I grew up playing Nintendo with my big bro, all we had was Mario 1 and Zelda. We'd rent our games at a rental store down the street and that store still had Nintendo games for rent till like 2004, they couldn't afford to get into DVDs and had to shut down.

Everyone on my block either had a Nintendo or nothing and when the Playstation and N64 came out some us had Super Nintendos and Genesis's. We'd always go to each others house and try to beat the games we had. One homie had a weird ass console with a joystick and a phonepad on the controller and wed play gradius and donkey kong at his house. Pawnshops where the shit back then, all you needed was 5 bucks and you could get a new game.

Just cause I wasn't there when the shit was mainstream does not mean I can't appreciate it. I grew up on those games and still own em.

But to come and start talking shit on a subjective level without taking in note the capabilities of the time is asinine.

+ you can't talk smack on Castlevania, Megaman AND Ninja Gaiden. You must just plain suck at video games.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I'm not saying that you can't appreciate it. I'm saying that he can't make the statements that he's making about 8 and 16-bt games and have his opinion taken seriously because he doesn't understand the relevance of those games in their own time. He's just saying that game X from the NES sucks because it can't hold a candle to Metal Slug. While it may be objectively true that game x is clearly inferior to Metal Slug, it doesn't take into account the impact that game X had when it came out, and its popularity during that time.

It's like some kid now saying that the original Star Wars sucks compared to the newer trilogy because the original movie has super cheesy special effects. Yeah, by todays standards. But at the time it was badass, and it had an influence on movies that came after it.

He can bitch about guys like me being "nostalgia fags" all he wants, but it's just a way of dismissing my opinion because he knows that this shit is before his time and there's no argument that gets him out of that. So it's not that I got to live through these games and see their relevance, it's that I'm some bitter old guy who's stuck in the past. Whatever makes him feel better.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
There was an article on fivethirtyeight last week about bad board games. Tic-Tac-Toe sucks because two players that understand the game will always draw.

Why play these games? Because they are stepping stones.

And even if it’s not an objectively good game, Candy Land teaches lessons — playing by the rules, healthy competition, winning and losing graciously. Tic-tac-toe represents a first foray into strategy and game theory — however simple — for many children. That’s not a bad thing. These games might be “bad,” but they’re important. We start with them, and we move on to better ones.

Moving onto better things is a surprisingly non-obvious concept. There's an interesting paper about becoming an expert (it uses beer drinking for its statistical analysis). Put simply, in order to appreciate the very best of something, you likely took certain steps along the way. You can be given the very best but if you're not "ready" for it, you won't be able to formulate a great opinion (think about how this may apply to games, food or your love life).

So, it may not be very likely that Castlevania and Mega Man are the best action platformers ever and you need to be primed for their excellence in order to understand them, but at the very least they are probably important touchstones everyone should get their hands on early in order to appreciate them fully.

Worst board games ever invented:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-worst-board-games-ever-invented/

Mapping an expert beer drinker (or expert anything):

http://i.stanford.edu/~julian/pdfs/www13.pdf

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The dumb ass said the Ninja Gaiden series is mediocre...I think we're wasting our time but I guess dramatch never ends. Being there when it was a new thing was amazing, however I hardly think you have to play the series during release time to appreciate how well crafted all 3 games are each game bringing something different to the table. I'll admit NG2 was on the easy side but the work put there is still superb. All 3 games have aged gracefully and you'll find no better series that this one the system.

He trashed Castlevania, another excellent game, for anyone that claims being an avid gamer not to see this seems absurd. The sequels were ok but too disruptive in terms of gameplay, they should omitted all that side talk roaming shenanigans but hey it was a new thing and they had to experiment. The whole point of castlevania is there on the first, the best of everything in that series epicenters on the very first game.

Then he also talked shit about Megaman, talk shit about 5 'cause is for babies, talk shit about 6 'cause it's 6, hell I'll even give you the first one 'cause it's raw but Megaman 2, 3 and 4 are far from mediocre, for anyone, no matter when they were born, or when did they play the game for the first time has nothing to do with it, you can't take away from these Megamans, they have everything you could ask for from an excellent game.

Batman (Sunsoft City) Fucking game is one of my favorites and hands down my favorite Batman game ever. In fact this game is so good that it surpasses all other movie games by a landslide. Had Batman Returns (Capcom) being done with the liberties Sunsoft took at the time then perhaps Returns could have been an incredible beat 'em up but they stook too fiercely to the atmosphere of the game and thus everything looks pale and dull when you're going for the long run.

That's 3 strikes, he crapped on 3 games that are actually excellent and keeps perstering with dumb shit. It's not that is NES, the games are legitimately good all fanboy and nostalgia aside.

That's like saying Punchout is not a great boxing game 'cause Super Punchout is better. I love both games and I appreciate the evolution of the series, I wish they had included some of the Super PUnchout mechanics into the Wii Punchout but alas I'm a big fan of all 3.

Mario, god damn it, I'm not with everyone on this 'cause I like the first Super Mario the best, I feel like 3 is too much, it's fun, I like it, but I have so much more fun playing the 1st one, it's just more dynamic. To me the pinnacle of platforming is there, with the first. Lost Worlds and Deluxe are worthy titles too, mayhem all the time, to me that's the ideal platformer.

I want to understand this dude but I can't, 'cause the games he praises are good too, I don't get it. Of course the video game industry is plagued with trash, hell, in a way everything you can think of is, not one field of entertainment isn't filled with crap, you have to pick and choose what you like best, that's how is always been from day one. If I were to look at things objectively 75% of the NES library quality could range from mediocre to poor but the same could be said about SNES, anything SEGA and perhaps augmented in the N64, Gamecube and Wii to 85%.

BTW, he claims to have been nice at first...lol.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
...and beat 'em ups is the stupidest way to call a fighting game...Oh I transcended from international marketing ploys to demographic subcultural ignorance...damn!

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
ElectricGrave, I remember playing Ninja Gaiden on my NES, also Megaman 3 and they all were awesome games :D

I don't see his point. As Jibbajaba said, he is comparing a NES game to something from the next gen.
It's quite... isn't it obvious?

PD: Never played Castlevania 3, is it that good?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
This thread:

XeroShinobi is the blonde at the beginning. lol

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
All this back and forth has brought back some memories from my childhood...

I remember when I was a kid and one of the kids in the neighborhood told me about Megaman 2, he played it at someone else's place and his description alone made me want to play the game badly. When Ninja Gaiden came out I got to play it at a friend's and oh damn first time laying eyes on that was surreal, forget the cut scenes although the intro was perfect to set the mood in, the gameplay was the real deal.

I had so many friends with NES that I didn't get one until 3 years after it was released, my parents thought Nintendo was the devil because all the kids were crazy about it. You know how it is with parents from those times; "Don't watch too much cartoons!", "Don't play too much outside!", "You can't eat all that candy!" so with that came a strict regime of Nintendo playtime. I remember my parents used to make me unhook the damn thing every time I was done playing 'cause they had this fear the thing was gonna ruin the TV, which is BS but it was their way of regulating how much playtime I used to get. I used to sneak around 2AM and go to town, those were the days.

@Ren-chan, Castlevania 3 is good, definitely worth a look if you haven't played it, I wasn't fond of 2 but I heard there's a bootleg of it that fixes many of the nuances, one of this days I'll look into that 'cause the sprite work and music is pretty damn good, should be a fun ride without the shenanigans.

Ren-chan

@ElectricGrave
Damn, sometimes I forget I got a FC Combo (nes+snes) and I can get those at any time as long as they are JP version <3
I should really get a try... still have zero NES games and this thread helped a bit seeing some titles to look for. It also made me go back a bit to my childhood haha.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I suggest some emulation before you take the plunge, not that NES games are that expensive to begin with but it could help you narrow what you're looking for you know.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Either that or get an Everdrive. If I didn't already have most of the games that I want, I would just buy a console and an Everdrive and be done with it.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
@ Jibbajaba
I am with you 100.

@ Ren-Chan
Get the everdrive

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you're just starting to amass a collection of NES games, it's going to cost you quite a bit these days.

Ren-chan

I am not sure if Everdrive works on my FC Combo:

img57613760.jpg

Tried to search for some info but for this model didn't find anything. By any chance any of you knows?
Anyways, yeah... I guess trying it on emu should do the trick, even thou I always prefer to play on console than an emu on pc. Personal preferences, nothing special hehe.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
This happens all the time. XeroShinobi is just a extremist and arrogant version of it.

Plenty of NES gens trash talked Atari, CV, and Intellivision.

The majority and XeroShinobi lack:
- Knowledge of the era.
- Was never part of it (unborn).
- Doesn't know shit from a technical standpoint of these eras. Hardware and programming.
- They are the ones typically stuck with the Rose tinted Nostalgia glasses.

Wiki doesn't make you knowledgeable. If you actually spent the time. Researched, played and compared games inside their own era. You would actually appreciate them more. The technical limitations, trials of prototyping hardware and programming and how they contributed to the next era or changes inside of genres and sub-genres.

Come back to the discussion when your balls drop. (its not an age reference either)