MegaMan10 is overrated

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
@ASID I'm just gonna have my Ancient Ship of Doom come get you so you can chill up here with me on the wings like action platforming bad asses...

Great.

I'd also like Xeroshinobi to carve Natsume backwards in his forehead so he looks at it in the mirror everyday.

That would be Kool.

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
Ninja Gaiden is an action platform series, yes. But you would call those games great? They're OK.

I can list action platformers on the NES, doesn't mean they're good.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
If you guys honestly don't know the difference between traditional platforming and action platforming, I don't think I want to spend any more time conversing with you.

Do I have to spell it out for you? A game must have a significant amount of focus on combat in addition to platforming to be an action platformer. Dispatching enemies and combat in general are not significant gameplay elements in games like Super Mario Bros. and the original Sonic trilogy. They have just a hint of action completely surrounded by traditional platforming. If a game has one short segment where a gun is fired, it does not automatically become a shooter. By your wide definition, any platform game with an enemy that can be killed would be an action platformer, and there would be no such thing as a traditional platformer.

If you honestly think Super Mario Bros. and Mega Man can be classified identically down to a sub-genre, I don't have anything left to say. You're just a wall that can't listen to reason.

You're like regurgitating shit you learned overnight (keep referencing gay youtube actors). Who's demonstrated a misunderstanding of the genre here?

I'm not giving you my asperberger manifesto on action games because you've already fucked up.

You're low quality.

Botton of the barrell.

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
You're like regurgitating shit you learned overnight (keep referencing gay youtube actors). Who's demonstrated a misunderstanding of the genre here?

I'm not giving you my asperberger manifesto on action games because you've already fucked up.

You're low quality.

Botton of the barrell.

Keep playing Cogswell's Caper thinking it's good. Plebeian.

Lol, Natsume games on the NES.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Well? I'm waiting. Where are all these great action platformers on the NES aside from Mega Man? Super Mario Bros. and the like is traditional platforming.

Face it, the NES library, while fantastic compared to the competition at the time, fails pretty hard by today's standards. It's mostly brought up in mockery reviews like AVGN.

The fourth generation just had more and better everything. SMB3 is the crown jewel of the NES. As fantastic as it is, it doesn't change the fact that the platform is littered with garbage.

Truth hurts, guys.

You're a fucking idiot.

The NES had some great action platformers. Some more "action" then others, but all of them are great fun.

Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Power Blade 1&2
Batman
Batman Return of the Joker
Conquest of the Crystal Castles
Shadow of the Ninja
Journey to Silius
Whomp 'Em
Castlevania 1-3
Bionic Commando
Shatterhand
Ghosts and Goblins
Monster Party
Contra/Super C

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Who's demonstrated a misunderstanding of the genre here?
Just the fact that you have to point this out to this moron shows what we're dealing with here.

"Hey guys you're all wrong 'cause Mario isn't an action platformer, and Ninja Gaiden it's ok but I wouldn't call it good...snarf"

lol.

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
You're a fucking idiot.

The NES had some great action platformers. Some more "action" then others, but all of them are great fun.

Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Power Blade 1&2
Batman
Shadow of the Ninja
Journey to Silius
Whomp 'Em
Castlevania 1-3
Bionic Commando
Shatterhand
Ghosts and Goblins
Monster Party
Contra/Super C

Conquest of the Crystal Palace was actually the first game I ever played in my life. It's extremely nostalgic for me, and the game is definitely decent. Saying it's anything more than decent would be absurd though. There's just not enough game there.

Contra? That's a run & gun. Castlevania 1? Nostalgia/hipster fag stuff. It's one of the worst Castlevania games. 3 is good. 2 is meh.

The Power Blades are pretty legit, I'll give you that. The Batmans are average. Ghouls 'n Ghosts is WAY better than Ghosts and Goblins. There are way better action platformers (and pretty much every other genre) for the fourth generation in general.

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
Ninja Gaiden games on the NES aren't that good. Who actually thinks they are? It's just bad hitboxes, silly respawning enemies and lots of knockback. The games clearly pride themselves on challenge, but they're not actually that hard. Just annoying the first few times and a bore after that. How a game is hard is just as important as whether or not they're hard.

Even action platformers that I would consider pretty mediocre relative to other games in the same generation, like the Super Star Wars series, are still quite a bit better than the typical NES action platformer.

The NES doesn't lack quantity, it lacks quality. That's why Mega Man stands out so much. It's fairly competent all the way around, if a little stale.

I'm just waiting for someone to come in and mention Clash at Demonhead or something. Since apparently anything even halfway playable on the NES is the second coming of Christ to you guys.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
This got interesting. Ninja Gaiden *and* Megaman are terrible?

I guess, next you're going to say that the Castlevania series is crap (and not an action platformer either...).

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I guess, next you're going to say that the Castlevania series is crap (and not an action platformer either...).

If you looked at the thread for more than 2 seconds, you'd notice he already did.

He is "faghipster stuff!"

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
If you looked at the thread for more than 2 seconds, you'd notice he already did.

Actually, he called it "fag/hipster" stuff.

Yeah, I just caught that. Bunch of posts came up before I hit send. My apologies. Lol @ fag/hipster. Just going to sit back and watch the noose grow tighter now.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Ninja Gaiden games on the NES aren't that good. Who actually thinks they are? It's just bad hitboxes, silly respawning enemies and lots of knockback. The games clearly pride themselves on challenge, but they're not actually that hard. Just annoying the first few times and a bore after that. How a game is hard is just as important as whether or not they're hard.

Even action platformers that I would consider pretty mediocre relative to other games in the same generation, like the Super Star Wars series, are still quite a bit better than the typical NES action platformer.

The NES doesn't lack quantity, it lacks quality. That's why Mega Man stands out so much. It's fairly competent all the way around, if a little stale.

I'm just waiting for someone to come in and mention Clash at Demonhead or something. Since apparently anything even halfway playable on the NES is the second coming of Christ to you guys.

Ohhh durr. Really? I thought crash at demonhed is good beat 'em up?

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
This got interesting. Ninja Gaiden *and* Megaman are terrible?

No, Mega Man is mediocre. Well, a couple of them are decent. It gets very stale very fast. Ninja Gaiden is better and worse in some respects. I'd probably rank it lower, though.

Castlevania is fine and dandy, but there is only one good one on the NES. 1 is VERY overrated. 2 is at least considered to be not so great. 3 is good. I'd actually say it's a rare exception and better than Super Castlevania IV on the SNES. Bloodines is better than either of them, though.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member

Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Power Blade 1&2
Batman
Shadow of the Ninja
Journey to Silius
Whomp 'Em
Castlevania 1-3
Bionic Commando
Shatterhand
Ghosts and Goblins
Monster Party
Contra/Super C

Good list. How about Zelda II and Battle of Olympus?

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
The denial is strong in this one.

Just face it; 4th generation games like Demon's Crest, Mega Turrican, Super Turrican 1/2, Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Shinobi III, Ghouls n Ghosts, Pulseman, Castelvania Bloodlines, and countless others just stomp all over even the best of what the NES has to offer.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
There's no point trying to argue with the dude when his mind is already made up. The NES has enough good action platformers to keep one busy for literally years if you were trying to master them all. And Megaman is an action platformer but Contra is not because it's "run and gun"? PLS. Bitch be trollin. Like I said, I think someone gave him a couple shots of liquid courage and sent him over here. Gay.

Edit: The fact that I think that 16-bit consoles (only a faggot calls them "Fourth Generation") have awesome action games does not take away from the fact that the NES has shitloads of them.

Last edited:

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
There's no point trying to argue with the dude when his mind is already made up. The NES has enough good action platformers to keep one busy for literally years if you were trying to master them all. And Megaman is an action platformer but Contra is not because it's "run and gun"? PLS. Bitch be trollin. Like I said, I think someone gave him a couple shots of liquid courage and sent him over here. Gay.

Really? You can't tell the difference between an action platformer and fucking a run & gun? Jesus H. Christ. I thought this board was smarter than that.

Honestly, I'm disappointed.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The denial is strong in this one.

Just face it; 4th generation games like Demon's Crest, Mega Turrican, Super Turrican 1/2, Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Shinobi III, Ghouls n Ghosts, Pulseman, Castelvania Bloodlines, and countless others just stomp all over even the best of what the NES has to offer.

Weak list. No Hagane?

Let me tell you something, poseur with the Nu-Metal sounding username.

It's clear that you have an enthusiasm for the genre, and might be more knowledgable than the cretins you've associated yourself with on previous message boards.

But you're giving half-baked lectures to the last person(s) who'd ever need them.

Quit while you're ahead.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Really? You can't tell the difference between an action platformer and fucking a run & gun? Jesus H. Christ. I thought this board was smarter than that.

Honestly, I'm disappointed.

Explain the difference between Mega Man and Contra. Like use your words, don't just spit out buzzwords. How is the gameplay experience of Contra different than Mega Man?

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
This will be my last post in this topic for today, but I'll pretend to be blissfully unaware of the fact that a run & gun like Contra is not the same thing as an action platformer like Ninja Gaiden. The fourth generation still shits all over anything the the third has. Probably even harder than action platformers. Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, and Contra III, and let's not forget the Neo Geo's very own Metal Slugs, are completely untouchable by any garbage the third generation ever had to offer.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Weak list. No Hagane?

And no Rendering Ranger.

And I like Revenge of Shinobi, but I think that's a great candidate for being called overrated, at least in the platforming department, especially compared to Shadow Dancer and Shinobi III.