Which PC-ENGINE variation is the best?

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I'm seriously considering getting a PC-Engine with a CD Rom and system card 3 or one of the turbo duo systems. Any suggestions on the best route to go?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
You're going to be spending a shitload of money unless you get a Duo. And if you get a Duo, get a Duo-R.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Duo-R, Everdrive, blank cd's, have fun

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I recommend a Duo-R if you don't want to jump threw any hoops. If you find a regular Duo on the cheap, have someone do a recap and install a new laser and your in business. I prefer the look of the PCE Duo over the Duo-R.

Last edited:

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Are their issues just using a regular duo to be able to use the Everdrive? I was wondering if their is a good replacement power supply for the duo. I can't find mine and dont want to hurt it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Are their issues just using a regular duo to be able to use the Everdrive? I was wondering if their is a good replacement power supply for the duo. I can't find mine and dont want to hurt it.

No, I use the ED on my regular duo without a problem. I use a the stock Duo Psu with a Step Down converter. Retrogamecave sells replacement Duo Psu's but they are sold out.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
If you want to play everything the Supergrafx/Super CD-Rom2 combo is the way to go. If you don't care about the 5 Supergrafx games then go with a Duo-R. It looks way better anyway.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
I say get them all! Or just get a Duo-R as other recommend.

If you do decide to go with a PC Engine CD briefcase setup, be ready to replace the original gear in the CD ROM drive since the always tend to break.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
and if you just want hucards and no cd (but the option to get them later of course) get a core grafx.

(plus what everyone said).

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
What everyone said, with the option of a PCE Duo (my choice).

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
What is your criteria for being the best? I like the PCE Core grafx II/Super CD-Rom2 combo.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Duo-r or RX either of those duo models is all you need.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I've only ever played a regular NA TG-16 before, so I'm curious to know if a Duo-R is region free. I was thinking of picking one up on Yahoo Japan...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've only ever played a regular NA TG-16 before, so I'm curious to know if a Duo-R is region free. I was thinking of picking one up on Yahoo Japan...

It is for the CD games, but not for the Hu-Cards.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Only weaklings get dem Duo's.

Ballers go for the money shot

739301turbocd.jpg

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Region free CD; Yes. Region free HuCard; No.

Only weaklings get dem Duo's.

Ballers go for the money shot

739301turbocd.jpg

Something I've been meaning to add to my collection. I still hope to add one in the near future. But for now, a region modded PCE Duo will suffice.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
I got into PCE through a Core Grafx II and then stepped up to a Duo-R (modified way back by D-lite when he was on the up and up).

Now that I think about it, I think I got all my PCE gear and games from like 3-4 people on this forum over the years. Thanks guys!

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I love DUO RX to DEATH! Oh, and go get Gate of Thunder while you're at it. :)