Which PC-ENGINE variation is the best?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Awesome. Do you think this would work on a Jamma Saturn? I need to push the brightness to the max to get a good picture.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You think you'd be able to take modding projects around late December after Christmas?

I don't usually take on commissioned projects. I let others do that.

Awesome. Do you think this would work on a Jamma Saturn? I need to push the brightness to the max to get a good picture.

Not sure. Lemony uses it to power his Jamma SNES. I would check with him. I have sold him several and he can probably give you his thoughts on it when applied to a Jamma setup.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Not sure. Lemony uses it to power his Jamma SNES. I would check with him. I have sold him several and he can probably give you his thoughts on it when applied to a Jamma setup.

I'll PM him, thanks man! :buttrock:

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I love my US Duo, but man it gave me some shit over the years. I bought it new from Turbo Zone Direct in summer of 2000. I didn't really start playing it all that much until 2007. I already had to recap the sound area at that time, got it region and S-video (with a CXA2075) modded, then replace the lens in 2008 due to bad CD-R use. I started playing my Duo a lot more around 2009 and the sound started going out again by 2012. I sent it off to thesteve on the PCEngineFX forums and got the entire system recapped, a few tweaks, and he took out the old S-video mod thanks to his new and improved S-video mod that is much simpler.

Here is the funny thing about RGB vs the new S-video mod for these systems. You actually get a more overall accurate and stable picture with the S-video. He does a cap ground to the video out, and adds a stronger cap on the board in front of the HuCard slot to get rid of the noticeable jailbars and mild RF like wavy interference. Also, the color palette is more accurate like what the composite video outputs. RGB of course will have a sharper picture and completely eliminate the small amount of shimmering and dot crawl of the S-video mod (which is very minimal BTW), but you still have the jailbars and inaccurate colors. Depends on preference I guess, but I am happy with the newer S-video mod and have no need for the RGB mod really.

With that all being said, either get a Duo-R or a standard Duo that has been completely overhauled if you really want the design. Another thing you might want to know is that the Everdrive doesn't like region modded consoles and games can load up glitchy. I got lucky with my US Duo due to it being a better region mod with very short wires. Sometimes I have to reload a ROM like Soldier Blade, and some others.

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20
I've only ever had the original US tg-16. But I would love to have the tg-16 and cd add on setup myself just because I like console add ons.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Here is the funny thing about RGB vs the new S-video mod for these systems. You actually get a more overall accurate and stable picture with the S-video. He does a cap ground to the video out, and adds a stronger cap on the board in front of the HuCard slot to get rid of the noticeable jailbars and mild RF like wavy interference. Also, the color palette is more accurate like what the composite video outputs. RGB of course will have a sharper picture and completely eliminate the small amount of shimmering and dot crawl of the S-video mod (which is very minimal BTW), but you still have the jailbars and inaccurate colors. Depends on preference I guess, but I am happy with the newer S-video mod and have no need for the RGB mod really.

The jailbar fix also works for RGB output as well. Actually, it should work for all video outputs. Though with composite it might not be easy to tell. I have done it on multiple RGB modded PCE's and in each instance it greatly reduces jailbars.

And I challenge the notion of inaccurate colors on a RGB modded PCE. Considering the HuC6260 generates RGB natively (just needs amplified), it ain't like you are hacking in RGB into a system that was never designed for it (NES/Famicom).

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I've never seen jailbars in any of the modded duos I've done.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've never seen jailbars in any of the modded duos I've done.

Then you aren't looking hard enough.

Or running them through a processor/upscaler like the Framemeister or something else that masks them.

I have seen them on virtually every PCE and TG16 machine I have had in my possession or passed through my hands.

I am very partial to my breifcase, I think it's the best PcEngine setup. All you need is a replacement middle gear and you are good to go for tons of sweet PcEngine gaming.

That being said I did just buy a DuoR, it needs some love so hopefully it should be up and running. PcEngine briefcase, with an arcade pro card and everdrive. You can play everything.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
bidding on a couple of systems

guys, besides castlevania, is there any reason to bust out the extra scratch for a duo?

I'm still convinced the best games are on hucards. Even the music chip is fantastic (I'd say the best of all the 8 bit systems).

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

guys, besides castlevania, is there any reason to bust out the extra scratch for a duo?

I'm still convinced the best games are on hucards. Even the music chip is fantastic (I'd say the best of all the 8 bit systems).

Castlevania, Star Parodia, Sapphire, Cotton, better version of AirZonk, Winds and Gates of Thunder...just to name a few.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
There are also a ton of RPG's including the Ys series and Cosmic Fantasy series.

More shooters such as Cotton, Rayxanber II and III, Spriggan and RType Complete CD (my fav version by a country mile).

A solid port of Double Dragon II: The Revenge.

Interesting puzzle games like Splash Lake.

There are tons and tons of CD games available.

Here is a list of CD, SuperCD and Arcade Card CD games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PC_Engine_CD_games

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd say there are more good cds than hucards myself. Gotta have both!

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
There are also a ton of RPG's including the Ys series and Cosmic Fantasy series.

More shooters such as Cotton, Rayxanber II and III, Spriggan and RType Complete CD (my fav version by a country mile).

A solid port of Double Dragon II: The Revenge.

Interesting puzzle games like Splash Lake.

There are tons and tons of CD games available.

Here is a list of CD, SuperCD and Arcade Card CD games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PC_Engine_CD_games

Perfect! Thanks for posting that link :D I just got a Duo today with some games, but I was wondering what else to get other than Gunhed.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
hey broken, for your next amplifier batch , you might consider this surface mount soldering method if you're not using it already.

plz put me down for an amp when you have some in stock

so i've been tethering as well on which NEC system to buy. lemme get this straight, the PCE Everdrive will run in a duo-r and play all region roms ?

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
hey broken, for your next amplifier batch , you might consider this surface mount soldering method if you're not using it already.

plz put me down for an amp when you have some in stock

so i've been tethering as well on which NEC system to buy. lemme get this straight, the PCE Everdrive will run in a duo-r and play all region roms ?

I do use paste now, I just apply it manually to the pads.

If I had a stencil I would definitely apply it that way. I just haven't got around to having a stencil made. Maybe I should.

And yeah, an Everdrive allows all regions roms to play on all region machines.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert

I feel that they are just about even. I have just recently bought an Everdrive and played all roms I could after years of using good CD-Rs to play the CD games.

Some other good CD games: Gradius 2, Image Fight 2, Nexrz, Blood Gear, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom), Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Explorer 2, Forgotten Worlds, Final Zone 2 (not the greatest game, but has a cheesy charm to it), Legend of Xanadu series (someone needs to translate these games), and soo many more.