What's this about a black kid being shot again

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Thanks for the civil replies Lagduf.

My apologies for my tone. This issue strikes a chord in me that probably comes off as me being a douche.

My apologies to Smokehouse, Ki and others that were genuinely offended by the term "privileged whites".

I'll take a bow out of this thread now. Not mad or anything, just feel like posting about this issue is a bit pointless now.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Like I said, I hope we as a nation can actually examine policing in america and the criminal justice system. Shame it had to come about from something like this.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
How many non-minorities physically assault and try to grab the gun of a police officer and aren't shot? Because if that's something that a white kid can routinely get away with but a black kid can't, THEN we have a problem. But if what the police are saying about this incident is true, then I don't see the problem. That kid would have been reaching for the cop's gun for a reason, and it's not because he was just going to run away with it and throw it in the nearest river never to be seen again.

And a cop is NOT going to risk grappling with a suspect because he is more worried about the suspect's safety than his own, when the price of losing that battle could easily be that he loses his gun and is subsequently shot with it. I totally get that a lot of police officers are bad apples that shouldn't be in that line of work. And I myself am not a huge fan of cops or the job that they do. But I can also understand why they choose to use deadly force when someone is attacking them. Much moreso if the person has already tried reaching for the cop's gun.

Wife was saying that there's concern for children in the area b/c it's a poor area and the families depend on free/subsidized school meals, but all that's suspended until the violence stops. Something I wouldn't have even thought about. I guess it's naive to think that everyone just feeds their families.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I still can't believe school's start this early. They started last week in my area.

I was thinking about the structure of St. Louis county and have to think that contributes to some of the poor response. I'm not sure how large the Ferguson PD is, but it can't be much.

There are about a million people in St. Louis county. Of the million, around 1/3 live in an unincorporated area (so governed by county rules) and for the remaining 2/3, there are about 90 municipal governments. I'm not sure how many of those have their own police force, but it's a pretty inefficient arrangement.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Wife was saying that there's concern for children in the area b/c it's a poor area and the families depend on free/subsidized school meals, but all that's suspended until the violence stops. Something I wouldn't have even thought about. I guess it's naive to think that everyone just feeds their families.

Out of everything, THIS is truly alarming and disturbing. Wont this only exacerbate the issue if kids cant eat?

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Out of everything, THIS is truly alarming and disturbing. Wont this only exacerbate the issue if kids cant eat?

The idea is to create dependence for a placation effect. If people need the services you give them, they won't want to anger you. Least that's the idea.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
A Short Essay by Galfordo (in the Spirit of Merc but less Masculine)

I'll just offer my two cents' worth of advice on dealing with cops. I'm not going to get into how it should be, because that's just mental masturbation and reality doesn't care.

DON'T GIVE THEM ATTITUDE. They deal with the scum of the earth and put their asses on the line only to be paid poverty-level wages. Most of them aren't cut out to deal with this reality, the reality of being a cop. Many of them have attitudes. I had a cop reach for his weapon when my (white) friend got out of the car during a routine traffic stop. I had run a red arrow stoplight after I had just begun to drive on my own. This guy was lovingly referred to as "Maniac Cop" in my hometown. Then again, I've ran into some cops that are fairly decent, and have been helpful, but I will concede that most are fairly obnoxious and have an adversarial attitude and an "us against them" mentality.

DE-ESCALATE. You literally have nothing to gain by being an asshole. Swallow your pride and live to fight another day. Cops do not respond well to being threatened or harassed. Just be the bigger man - learn to let go of the eggshell ego and hyper-defensive mindset that our omniscient mass media has convinced you to be your obligation. It's juvenile and it's fucking ignorant - bite your tongue and stfu, it won't kill you.

If you feel yourself getting pissed, just take a deep breath and try to empathize for a few seconds. Picture yourself in the other guy's shoes, think about what his situation was and how it must have made him think and feel. I realize this is impossible for most people, because we have been taught from birth to worship ourselves while everyone else can fuck off and die. That notwithstanding, it is an interesting exercise that I recommend you at least try. It can sometimes be soothing and comforting to realize how much we have in common with each other, just by a simple thought exercise. Unless of course we're talking about Makismo, that guy was a fucking weirdo.

But I digress ... what I guess I'm getting to here is that people need to chill the fuck out and exercise a little patience. A big part of life is mastering the art of impulse control, in both your actions and your thoughts. Thoughts are definitely more fundamental to impulse control. If you allow them to take hold and fester, you will likely have an attitude, elevated stress levels/cortisol, and be subject to triggers which greatly decrease your ability to maintain physical impulse control. Not a good thing.

YOU THINK THIS TWO YEAR OLD CIGARETTE-SMOKING KID IN MY SIG IS GONNA LOSE HIS COOL???!! FUCK NO HE ISN'T, HE BE CHILLIN'.

Take a step back, collect yourself, and move along. "Getting even" for every minor perceived wrongdoing in life is enormously overrated. In the end it just gives you fucking heartburn and rots your fucking insides.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I think here is one of my biggest issues with the whole thing. It's the riots and looting.

I don't know if anyone remembers when this happened...

Sometimes you really don't have to do anything to provoke the police.

Sometimes, they just gun you down because they can.

But, where were the protests, the riots, the looting there?

There sure should have been some protests.

So what is the difference? IF that had been a black guy in the video what would have happened? There is your racism.

I'm not even going to watch that. I'm sure it's just a media created ploy to make it look like the police shoot white people too. It must be fake because that can't be true.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
To tag along with Galfordo:

Remember that it's illegal to resist arrest - even an unlawful arrest. Get locked up, get out, then file your federal civil rights viation case.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I think here is one of my biggest issues with the whole thing. It's the riots and looting.

So what is the difference? IF that had been a black guy in the video what would have happened? There is your racism.

We reported this in the news today. They were saying he has "mental issues" is all. Nothing worthy enough to spark a riot or enough to get people to care.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Fixed

Remember that it's illegal to resist arrest - even an unlawful arrest. Get locked up, GET FUCKED IN THE ASS, get out, then file your federal civil rights viation case.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

That mother should have called a hospital and not the police station.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Remember that it's illegal to resist arrest - even an unlawful arrest. Get locked up, get out, then file your federal civil rights viation case.

This.

Arrest does not = prosecution.

Take the arrest peacefully, post bail and sort it out. This exact thing happened to me in 1998. I was wrongfully arrested (driving with suspended plates on my car). When getting arrested, I knew it was wrong, but I went peacefully. Did it suck? Sure. Was I furious? You bet, but I did what I was told.

Long story short, I posted bail, sorted it out, had my day in court and got the charges dropped. Sure as hell it was a pain in the ass...but in the end, nothing came from it. Had I resisted arrest, who knows what would have happened.

No matter how much you disagree with the situation, you CANNOT resist arrest and too many idiots can't seem to figure that out.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It was amazing reading through the passive racist post here that try to validate the racial profiling of predominately minorities, perspectives of which are coming from people who have no fucking ideal what it feels like to go through life on the receiving end of such hatred.

This forum is made up of nothing but suburban white males living in America. They had a leg up on half the world the minute they were born and never realized it. White privilege is something they don't want to believe exists - and sure, some of them, like smokehouse, had some shitty lives as kids, but there are some things they don't have to deal with simply because they're white, American males.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
This forum is made up of nothing but suburban white males living in America. They had a leg up on half the world the minute they were born and never realized it. White privilege is something they don't want to believe exists - and sure, some of them, like smokehouse, had some shitty lives as kids, but there are some things they don't have to deal with simply because they're white, American males.

Why 'they' and not 'we'?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The number one reason I have my job is because I'm white and speak English. It doesn't get more privileged than that.

I was just wondering why you seemed to be excluding yourself from us clueless, deluded folk, but I see now you aren't so fair enough.

wonamik

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks for the civil replies Lagduf.

My apologies for my tone. This issue strikes a chord in me that probably comes off as me being a douche.

My apologies to Smokehouse, Ki and others that were genuinely offended by the term "privileged whites".

I'll take a bow out of this thread now. Not mad or anything, just feel like posting about this issue is a bit pointless now.

Its because the term "white privelege" is politically correct BS invented to make white people feel "white guilt" and stir up hate against whites.
And I get pissed off cuz I grow up as a white minority in my own country and had to face so much fucking hate on a dailty basis from immigrants,
and then you come home and turn on the TV and you get these politically correct people talking how privledge, racist and evil whites are.

Immigrants could call us Swedes "svenne jävel" or "svenne hora" which are extremly offensive terms, and NO ONE would react, but if you ever said
anything back on the same level then all hell breaks lose. Where is the privlege in that? I dont know how many times I had a knife to my throat and called racist shit in the subway simply for being Swedish, IN SWEDEN!

And there is so much more I could bring up but I am gonna leave it at that.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

I was going to try to dodge this conversation...but please, allow me to retort.

According to this:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

As a black male, you make up far less than 13% of the US populace.

As a black male, you are a 100% minority...not only in numbers, but in the eyes of the government. What that gets you is a world of free opportunities should you CHOOSE to take them:

Want to go to college?

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...e=UTF-8#q=US+minority+college+grants&safe=off

Go ahead. There's an ocean of financial aid available to minorities that I cannot get.

Once you have your degree, you have MANY options someone like myself cannot ever get. In my area alone, I have two industries that if your are a minority, you have a leg up on a non minority just because the color of your skin. Big business and construction. I'll leave law enforcement out of the conversation...but we all know the benefits of being a minority and getting into law enforcement...

Caterpillar's world HQ is literally about 7 miles from whee I work...if you are intelligent and driven AND a minority...there is literally NO LIMIT to where you can go in that company. I know many people that work there and minority promotion is a huge thing within that company.

In the construction world...a few words for you:

-Minority ratio

-Minority owned business

ANY government funded business will have mandatory minority worker ratios AND minority business owner ratios on jobs. U of I put the State Farm Center out for bid last winter...my division, the electrical division went for $17m. 10% of the labor and material MUST, no exception, go to minorities. This is not up for negotiation, there is a mile of paperwork a contractor must go through to prove they are subcontracting out 10% of their work to these businesses. I would GLADLY take 10% of 17 million dollars worth of time/material.

DO NOT give me this shit about "white privilege"...if you a re a minority and CHOOSE to use what is available for you, you have an advantage if you seek it out.