Chocolate question for Brits in the USA.

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Just been having a little fun in another thread and Lemony Vengeance replied with...

"Keep at it, you'll have him speaking the Queen's English in no time".

(also, my mom's a brit, she says "the Queen's English" often.)

Anyway, it got me thinking about Brits in America.

What do you think of American chocolate? Is it as good as chocolate in the UK? :drool:

Discuss.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Mass produced American chocolate (and candy/sweets in general) is pretty poor. However, Hershey's does not represent all American chocolate, much like Budweiser does not represent all American beer. There's plenty of good stuff available if you put in a bit of effort.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm a pretty ardent Yankophile but from my few visits to the US I have to say the chocolate is pretty much the worst I've ever eaten. I'd rather have a face lick off an eye popped ebola victim than a Hershey's Kiss.

I'm sure you can still get good chocolate though, if you look hard enough you can get anything you want almost anywhere these days if you're prepared to pay for it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Food like meat, fish, fruit, and veg is generally much better in the States. Bread and cheese, not so much.

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
U guys have Wispas and Flake chocolate bars if not ur missing out!

What about cartons of Um Bongo?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I use British Delights when I need a Flake or Milkybar.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Publix British food section is my friend. I used to have family bring me stuff over but they have a decent selection of packaged goods.

section.jpg

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yeah, UK food is more like Bacon 'n Bear, Fish n Chips, Tea and Crumpets, Pies and Pudding ... You know: the tasty stuff that gives you a heart attack just looking at it. :drool: / :keke:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Bread and cheese, not so much.

dont get me going on domestic cheese.

what the us is producing in terms of domestic specialty cheese (not your basic kraft singles, mind you) is pretty on par with what most of the world is producing. There is some amazing world class stuff coming from dairys in california, wisconsin, and vermont especially.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
We actually have some 'Double Decker' and 'Aero' at our local Fresh & Easy

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Kit Kats. So damn good in Japan they have like 100 variety's.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
American mass-produced chocolate (Mars and Hershey) is mostly shit compared to what you can find in the stores in the UK. However, like with most food and drink in the US, if you hunt around enough, you can find some truly great chocolate made by tiny little companies.

That said, the only thing I ever bring home from trips to Europe is a bag full of British/Belgian chocolates.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
dont get me going on domestic cheese.

what the us is producing in terms of domestic specialty cheese (not your basic kraft singles, mind you) is pretty on par with what most of the world is producing. There is some amazing world class stuff coming from dairys in california, wisconsin, and vermont especially.

I was gonna say... I live in Northern California and we have cheese here that's as good as anything you'll get anywhere. Of course, you pay out the ass for it.

Same goes for chocolate. You can get plenty of good chocolate here in the states. Anyone who eats Hershey's is a fuckwit.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Kit Kats. So damn good in Japan they have like 100 variety's.

Mint chocolate Kit Kats are the bomb. There is usually a good selection of imported chocolate at Cost Plus Imports. Not sure how readily available these stores are nationally though. They also carry one of my favorite chocolate based candies, Kinder Bueno. I gave a bunch out during the secret Santa thing last year.

Oh, Kit Kat fact of the day. They are made by Hershey in the US and by Nestle every where else in the world. Not sure why that is, but probably why even the plain Kit Kats elsewhere taste slightly better than ours.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Oh, Kit Kat fact of the day. They are made by Hershey in the US and by Nestle every where else in the world. Not sure why that is, but probably why even the plain Kit Kats elsewhere taste slightly better than ours.

kit kats were a british candy to begin with. Nestle owns them, but licensed to hershey only for US production. its just a licensing deal.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
can non brits comment? ah well, going for it. now that ''normal candy bars'' are a dollar and ten cents whats a decent candy bar cost over there or at a store that carries 'em here?

probably doesn't qualify as ''good'' but I had some of those wonka bars and thought they were better than average( they didn't cost ''good price''? ) I thought they were good enough

hersheys bars are good enough for a s'more?! otherwise I agree with jabba.

maybe I don't even like good chocolate though. I mean I like supposed dark chocos but I bet I'm not refined enough and the good stuff would have me calling it bitter crap. I get this stuff that comes with poems in the wrapper sometimes. is it good?

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
kit kats were a british candy to begin with. Nestle owns them, but licensed to hershey only for US production. its just a licensing deal.

I tried a US Kitkat and was disappointed. Side note: my old cat was named Kitkat.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Fuck. Now I have to try a European Kit Kat.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Fuck. Now I have to try a European Kit Kat.

Cost Plus man, raid their candy section. There's gotta be one by you. Last time I was there they had 5-6 different flavors... Euro and weird JP ones like Green Tea. :lolz:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Yeah we have one around here. I just like the stock flavor, though. Green Tea Kit Kat sounds like shit.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Tried that Japanese green tea Kit Kat. Oh why do they have to make such a huge bag instead of just a normal sized bar. Took me almost a month to get through that.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
America gets a bad rap for food quality but for the most part, that is bullshit.

Like anything else of quality...you have to look for it. If you're expecting the local gas station to carry a quality chocolate bar or the a wal-mart to stock a fine piece of crafted cheese...think again. You go to a good store to get good products. Anyone claiming there isn't the best of the best of food available here in America is either ignorant to what we have or too lazy to seek it out.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
America gets a bad rap for food quality but for the most part, that is bullshit.

Like anything else of quality...you have to look for it. If you're expecting the local gas station to carry a quality chocolate bar or the a wal-mart to stock a fine piece of crafted cheese...think again. You go to a good store to get good products. Anyone claiming there isn't the best of the best of food available here in America is either ignorant to what we have or too lazy to seek it out.

It's true, in America there's a wide offer with pinnacles for quality and selection, like Dean&DeLuca.
But talking about the average quality products, which is what most of the people can afford and can find at local markets, well, probably it's not the best place on earth.