Breakin Fighting Games

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The Gladiator pcb teaches discipline, frustration, and triumph in one non-Jamma package.

That game is all types of awesome. Looks sloppy as hell but you have to have some strong A game to get anywhere in that beast.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
That game is all types of awesome. Looks sloppy as hell but you have to have some strong A game to get anywhere in that beast.

During my youthful stint in ATL, the Lenox Mall had Gladiator (showing much age, but we had a previous relationship) and Street Fighter (with the giant 2 button setup and large monitor). I've never played the original Street Fighter to this day.

FinalAttack

New Challenger
Yeah I think I'll pick up a PS3 and get a couple anime fighters. They are super flashy and pretty easy to pick up. I had the gladiator with a 4 player cab setup, its pretty simple and not as engaging as I thought. Still a great game though.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Got a wii handy? Capcom vs Tatsuonoko is pretty approachable. Good button masher and the graphics are great.

FinalAttack

New Challenger
Never played Capcom vs Tatsuonoko, looked fun. Might give it a shot when I pick up a Wii U at the end of the year.

the7k

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I was just about to come in a recommend Tatsunoko vs Capcom, but I see I was beaten to the punch. Very easy to get into, but also has a good deal of depth to it. It's a great choice for beginners.

Another I'd recommend is Vampire Savior. The combos are mostly extremely easy, short, but rewarding. The combos aren't the focus at all, which allows people to jump in easily - what is the focus is the neutral game. This game is all about opening people up, applying pressure, setting up traps, mix-ups, etc. The only negative I have with the game is the way Guard Teching is done, other than that I consider it to be a perfect fighting game.

It's hard for me to recommend many Neo Geo games, as they all feel like they were made with the hardcore gamer in mind, but if he's somewhat familiar with Capcom games then Garou: Mark of the Wolves is probably the best one to start off with. Other than that, I suppose Samurai Shodown has less execution requirements as combos were again not the focus.

I really feel like any game that doesn't focus on combos is the best thing to start someone off with. It means the player will not focus on combos and will instead focus on everything else - which is what is really important in a fighting game.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
Yeah I think I'll pick up a PS3 and get a couple anime fighters. They are super flashy and pretty easy to pick up. I had the gladiator with a 4 player cab setup, its pretty simple and not as engaging as I thought. Still a great game though.

4 player Gladiator? Think we're talking 2 different games.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
capcom vs snk 2 would be a awesome game to start off. Its fun, you can be basic and you have different grooves to mess around with

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I disagree, too much options and confusing abilities. Amazing game though! I think you should pick simple games, the simpler the better, see if they can understand what space is, after all that is what all fighting games are about, space management.

spoonz

Quiz Detective
It is best to start with Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting since it's pure fundamentals and doesn't burden the player with alot of sub systems to learn. From there get them to try different games to see what type of fighter they like (VS Series, KOF, Guilty Gear etc)

FinalAttack

New Challenger
Yeah I think I'll start with street fighter 2. I find myself too many times saying to do a classic tiger knee motion and they have no clue what that is or why I even say it.

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Like many persons said Street Fighter 2 is the best way to start.
Everybody knows SF2 and how to play it.
Don't know on what system you're playing but put SF2 on a cab and I'm pretty sure you will see there eyes shinning.
Everybody play this game when we were childs.

FinalAttack

New Challenger
So bit of good news. I've had a bunch of success in the past week. They happen to have this crappy mame cab in the breakroom at work and I've gotten a bunch of people hooked on Hyper Street Fighter II and Alpha 3. Still the hardest part is keeping my must win attitude down and not crushing their souls.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So bit of good news. I've had a bunch of success in the past week. They happen to have this crappy mame cab in the breakroom at work and I've gotten a bunch of people hooked on Hyper Street Fighter II and Alpha 3. Still the hardest part is keeping my must win attitude down and not crushing their souls.

No, you must crush their souls. If just one of these individuals can accept being crushed, and develop a sense of satisfaction in learning how to not get crushed, they might find enjoyment in fighting games after all.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Exactly! One good player is worth a hundred casual players.

FinalAttack

New Challenger
Last soul crushing I did left my roommate with third degree anal burns and some serious PTSD for Alex's stun gun headbutt. He has yet to pick up third strike again.