Breakin Fighting Games

FinalAttack

New Challenger
So I've been struggling for ages to get my roommate and coworkers into fighting games. I really want to step them up to 3S or kof98 but the technical aspect of them is pretty intimidating. I started them off on Marvel Super Heros. Any ideas on what to progress to next?

FinalAttack

New Challenger
Real Bout is amazing and Alpha is a great step up. Asura blade is just plain awesome, think I got a decent roundup to make some fighting game fanatics.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I've been playing Melty Blood Actress Again alot lately. I've introduced some fighting game noobs to it, and it went over well. It plays really fast and it's easy as hell to combo. It's a button masher's dream come true :drool:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The Asuras are great, but for what you described...Breakers Revenge is the game you need!

FinalAttack

New Challenger
How could I forget about breakers. But I've never played melty blood could never tell which version was a good one to pick up.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
You're going to need real world friends and then a group of fighting game friends. Just don't get so drunk your fighting game friends push you into a private booth with a 50 year old stripper.

FinalAttack

New Challenger
I'm surprised that actually hasn't happened yet, they have had the chance.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
You should start guys off on either Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting or Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo/ Remix

It will give you the foundation & tools needed to pretty much play all fighting games.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
It's barely a fighting game, but Divekick is a great introduction to the genre (barring the super in-jokes). I've gotten a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't touch a fighting game to play Divekick for hours.

Beyond that, it's largely dependent on their history with the genre. If they were fans of Street Fighter II then I see no reason why you couldn't get them in to Third Strike. Obviously the mechanics have changed but give them Ryu and Ken and 90% of people will be happy. If they have little to no history, there are a couple of routes you can take based on their interests. If you're trying to hook people, you want to show them something that's either easy on the eyes (old sprite-based games aren't going to interest anyone if they have no nostalgia for them) or easy to pick up and immediately do cool, flashy stuff with.

Mortal Kombat isn't for everyone but the new one (from 2010) is fairly approachable and looks good. If they can tolerate anime, Blazblue: Chrono Phantasma is gorgeous and (while incredibly deep and mechanics-heavy at high levels) fun as a mashing game. If you're down for 3D, I'd say play the original Soul Calibur or 2 (both HD-ified on X360). Very mash-friendly but still rewarding if you dig a little deeper. I wouldn't touch anything Neo until they're comfortable with the basic mechanics and are looking for something a little more meaty.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I hate to say it, but you should expose them to the way so many people of recent times got into fighting games..SFIV.

If they don't like fighting games at all, they're not going to get why stuff like the Real Bouts and is Breakers cool.

If they play SF IV they'll be like "Yo these games is mad popular".

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
You should start guys off on either Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting or Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo/ Remix

It will give you the foundation & tools needed to pretty much play all fighting games.

Forgive the double-post, but this also. ST/HDR is the quintessential Street Fighter game and not overly mechanics-heavy to the point of being unapproachable.

Darknb

n00b
I hate to say it, but you should expose them to the way so many people of recent times got into fighting games..SFIV.

If they don't like fighting games at all, they're not going to get why stuff like the Real Bouts and is Breakers cool.

If they play SF IV they'll be like "Yo these games is mad popular".

I second this. Street Fighter is by far the simplest fighter to get into and everything you learn can be applied to other fighters. EVERY game has a hadouken like projectile and uppercut character. The problem with games like guilty gear melty blood and mvc is they are so melee and combo oriented, it lends itself to button mashing or high skill, but all newbie can easily play a match of sf just using the basic moves for spacing and footies. You dont even think about it but over time you just naturally pick up the range for hadoukens and uppercut without even thinking about it.

FinalAttack

New Challenger
Yeah I've had a bit of luck with SFIV as much as I hate that game but I think I need to get them started on ST. Focus on the pure basics of fighting games and work my way up. Also Max didn't ass ream me too hard in breakers, he was kind and spit first.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member

i cant play these games and in fact hate them. drier than bea arthur's vagina. if it aint turnt up i cant play it. stick with SNK. and finalattack, i drink the super sugary pink lemonade to make the good saliva lube fo yo ass.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
World Heroes. That game sort of runs in slo mo and the final boss is laughably easy.

DeusVult

Another Striker
World Heroes. That game sort of runs in slo mo and the final boss is laughably easy.

i like fighting games a little and i dont take to everyone so easy probably because i am rubbish at them, but alot of the neo ones still look cool for there age

i like world heroes because it is a simplier game :) and deathmatch mode is alot of fun

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
IMO Choose a game that's easy to pick up and teach them the basics, and let them win a little, haha. (then go for the throat later)
I usually find that my normies dig Samurai Shodown II... I think with that you have to read the other person a bit more than the newer, special move laden games, and they will learn timing and priority...

Last edited:

FinalAttack

New Challenger
So far I'm having the best luck by picking games I'm not too familer with and picking characters I have no clue how to play. So what do you guys think is the first thing I should focus on teaching them? Spacing, buttons or specials?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
So far I'm having the best luck by picking games I'm not too familer with and picking characters I have no clue how to play. So what do you guys think is the first thing I should focus on teaching them? Spacing, buttons or specials?
Teaching someone how to play a game they did not ask for is not gonna go well, it's gonna feel like a chore and they're gonna pretend they're listening 'cause you're their friend but deep down they're probably bored.

I agree with the SFIV or current game sort of thing, hell even a 3D game like Virtua Fighter could be a good primer for the whole concept of fighting games as a whole.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
When I got my friends to play it was either the pretty game or the newest. It doesn't really matter which one has the best fundamentals since you have to keep their attention on the game. Once they WANT to play the particular game then you can talk about fundamentals since they might give a crap about getting better.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Marvel Super Heroes is a good choice, the natural progression might be Marvel v Capcom. For something different maybe Street Fighter Alpha 3 or Street Fighter II? Or a Neo KOF game? Maybe one of the Last Blades.

From the sound of it though, seems like you would like the to apply themselves to the games though, not so much just pick up and play.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
The Gladiator pcb teaches discipline, frustration, and triumph in one non-Jamma package.