Will metal slug 8 ever happen?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
SNK used to make a metal slug every 2-3 years up until metal slug 7 on ds. So, what the hell happened? We really need a new slug. If they do make one, it be cool if they did the same thing with kof12 and redraw all the sprites into HD.

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
What happened: SNK Playmore realized that they make more money on pachislo and smartphone games. The old SNK is gone. If you really want to crush your hopes and dreams play Samurai Shodown Sen. They did well with KOF 12 (although short and incomplete) and KOF 13.

SNK should've called it quits on the Metal Slug series when they released Metal Slug 5. Metal Slug 6 and 7 are pure shit to play.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
What happened: SNK Playmore realized that they make more money on pachislo and smartphone games. The old SNK is gone. If you really want to crush your hopes and dreams play Samurai Shodown Sen. They did well with KOF 12 (although short and incomplete) and KOF 13.

SNK should've called it quits on the Metal Slug series when they released Metal Slug 5. Metal Slug 6 and 7 are pure shit to play.

I found metal slug 7 lacking some of the staples of a metal slug game such as branching paths and transformations. But I still found it fun regardless.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Based on the success of KOF13, I only see another KOF coming. Nothing more besides the same old re-release crap.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Based on the success of KOF13, I only see another KOF coming. Nothing more besides the same old re-release crap.

A new kof: 50% of happening
A new ms: 20% of happening
A new fatal fury: 4% of happening
A new last blade: 1% of happening

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I hope not.

Exactly.

The series installments since metal slug 3 have become the all around quintessential mixed bags.

Sure, you can take play hopeless fanboy note & say that even a sub par MSlug is better than most of the stuff out there but thats no excuse to needlessly drag out a respected series such as MS.

Let it rest until SNK can do it justice, preferably with outside help or until the IP can fall into better hands.
Hell, if it ended all together I would be just fine with that. Were not fucking kids anymore & all the installments of an arcade game with high reply value will keep true fans busy for good.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Exactly.

The series installments since metal slug 3 have become the all around quintessential mixed bags.

Sure, you can take play hopeless fanboy note & say that even a sub par MSlug is better than most of the stuff out there but thats no excuse to needlessly drag out a respected series such as MS.

Let it rest until SNK can do it justice, preferably with outside help or until the IP can fall into better hands.
Hell, if it ended all together I would be just fine with that. Were not fucking kids anymore & all the installments of an arcade game with high reply value will keep true fans busy for good.

The team that made metal slug 1-3 left snk after the bankruptcy, so where the hell are they now? THEY are ones that should be tasked to make a new metal slug.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
A new kof: 100% of happening
A new ms: 100% of happening
A new fatal fury: 5% of happening
A new last blade: 0% of happening

Fixed that for you.

KOF is still a cash cow. When you can make a shmup out of a fighting game (Along with rhythm games) You have a good IP. You'd want to keep that going with more new content.

Same goes for MS. What you may "consider" a true MS game may never come back, they'll keep churning one of their two "other" successful IP's.

Fatal Fury is dead. Only chance is nostalgia or SNKP taking a chance on a flyer (in Japan.)

Last Blade, for as awesome as it is... just doesn't have enough mainstream appeal or recognition.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I hope it does happen as I'd love a new entry in the series.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Fixed that for you.

KOF is still a cash cow. When you can make a shmup out of a fighting game (Along with rhythm games) You have a good IP. You'd want to keep that going with more new content.

Same goes for MS. What you may "consider" a true MS game may never come back, they'll keep churning one of their two "other" successful IP's.

Fatal Fury is dead. Only chance is nostalgia or SNKP taking a chance on a flyer (in Japan.)

Last Blade, for as awesome as it is... just doesn't have enough mainstream appeal or recognition.
I hope you are right, because I would love to see new MS and kof release at the same time at the end of the year.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
The team that made metal slug 1-3 left snk after the bankruptcy, so where the hell are they now? THEY are ones that should be tasked to make a new metal slug.

How old are you?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'd reckon the next one should be Metal Slug XXX.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
SNKP is raising money from MS Defense in order to develop Metal Slug 8

(At least that's what I dream about haha)

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I Don't have lot of faith in SNKP. KOF13 was good but I don't think they are concentrating on consoles anymore. I would be suprised if we ever saw another proper fighter or Slug get released.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I don't know if my heart can take another let down of that magnitude.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
SNK used to make a metal slug every 2-3 years up until metal slug 7 on ds. So, what the hell happened? We really need a new slug. If they do make one, it be cool if they did the same thing with kof12 and redraw all the sprites into HD.
One of the good things about the original MVS Slug was the low-res graphics. Slug 6 had high-res backgrounds but low-res sprites. In some cases (like in fighters) it's better to have your player sprite in low-res, as it's easier to see when moving (or something like that). And the backgrounds in Metal Slug 1-5 were well drawn (hand-drawn), so it didn't matter that they were low-res. I think when the game is high definition, the programmers tend to get lazy- I think Slug 6 had less background detail than the previous games. Maybe KOF12/13 and SF4 are exceptions to this, though. But even with those, the gameplay is not as good as previous games in those series.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yeah, Metal Slug is my favorite Neo Geo series and I REALLY hope they don't come out with any more at this point.. The recycled sprites and lack of new features just hurts my soul. There isn't infrastructure or workforce in place to make new art of MS quality, shoot even back when everyone was using sprites almost no one could match Metal Slug.

The closest I've seen nowadays is that creepy sprite artist that did Mercenary Kings, which is basically Metal Slug RPG. Honestly I'm fine with indie game tributes to MS, because my expectations aren't that high for those, but as far as a new SNK effort, no thanks.

Last edited:
I'd look forward to MS8. I thought 7 was decent, a bit shallow, but still fun. If they ever make 8 for a current console, it would be cool to be able to switch between SD and HD.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm probably in the minority, but I'd like to see a fresh, HD take on Metal Slug should they ever make a new one. We've had 8+ games with the same graphics and sounds now.

Whether the graphics are 2D or 3D, as long as it keeps the same style and feel of past games, I'd be happy (provided the gameplay is top notch of course).

If the game sucks, I can always put MS3 back in my 4-slot cab to feel instantly better.