RGB NES Thread

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I went back and redid the Famicom. It is much cleaner now but still incredibly busy inside. I also put the original controllers back into it since it only sits 2 feet in front of me.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
would love to get my NES done, anyone know anyone in Aus doing this mod for idiots like me that can't solder? lol

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I'm thinking of upgrading my PC-10 RGB AV Famicom to NESRGB, and also installing one in my Twin Famicom.
What palettes would you guys recommend using?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You can install a switch and swap any time. I keep it OG, but others prefer the other palettes. It's all personal preference.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
The reason I ask is that my PC-10 AV Famicom was fitted with DPDT switches under the bottom right-side lip. Can't really fit any larger switches in those holes, so really only have a choice of two palettes.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd go with original and PC10, but maybe someone who had fiddled more can chime in. I locked mine into original so I wouldn't have to drill.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
would love to get my NES done, anyone know anyone in Aus doing this mod for idiots like me that can't solder? lol

I can mod your system. Dunno what the going rate to charge for this is though.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I'd go with original and PC10, but maybe someone who had fiddled more can chime in. I locked mine into original so I wouldn't have to drill.

Nothing wrong with hard wiring it the original palette. My system is modded that way too.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Finally got my AV Fami modded via NESRGB and working 100%. Just wanted give a summary of events for those that are considering doing the mod themselves, especially those that are not the best at soldering and do not have pro soldering/desoldering gear.

Gear:

Radio Shack Desoldering tool ($15) (mostly fail)
Radio Shack soldering iron ($25) (mostly fail)
M-Line Mark V pro-grade soldering station (~$100) (used with success)

Events:

-Bought a NESRGB, successfully desoldered AVFC PPU with cheap tools
-soldered the adapter board in backwards
-continued, thinking this was not a problem
-Upon completing mod, video/audio failed
-Desoldered NESRGB, destroyed adapter board, ordered new one
-After new adapter came in, resoldered everything correct
-Fired it up, worked. Yay.
-Tried a different game, FAIL. Black screen and loud buzz
-Tested AV Fami w/ stock PPU and no NESRGB, fail. Black screen and loud buzz
-Replaced PPU and CPU, stock AVFC worked again. I fried both chips on the AVFC (see below)
-Deciding not to work with obviously cursed hardware, bought a new AVFC and NESRGB
-Did everything correctly. Fired up, worked.
-Closed it up. Tested all games. All worked. Double Yay!

Afterthoughts:

-While it is possible to use cheap, AKA Radio Shack soldering and desoldering irons, I cannot recommend them because they simply don't get hot enough to melt the original solder on the PCB and remove the PPU. When I used pro gear ($100+), everything was tits.
-If you knock the NESRGB out of the socket after completing the mod, and you turn on your NES/FC, you might fry your CPU and PPU. This happened to me.
-The hardest part for an amateur is definitely desoldering the PPU. TAKE YOUR TIME. Add solder to pins that wont desolder, and try again. If that doesn't work, borrow/buy a higher temperature tool. Breaking the chip sucks ass. Again, happened to me.
-Follow the steps on Tim's site CLOSELY. Don't be an asshole and solder things in the wrong order/backwards like me.
-Using NESRGB composite. In some ways, looks better than stock, some ways worse. I say use stock after having seen both. At least for AVFC.
-Improved palette looks best of the 3 IMHO.
-I'm going to test my 1st NESRGB again, as well as my 1st AVFC for lingering effects. Probably sell them for either parts or working depending on outcome.
-In the end, it was worth the trouble. Learned a lot. Video quality on a PVM is tits.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
As a veteran Radio Shack desoldering tool user, I cannot stress enough how right you are about it. I've killed a few pieces of electronics because that thing decided to heat up the PCB and traces more than the actual solder I was trying to remove.

I'm glad you got it working!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I can't help but feel that a VGA CRT wit emulation get's the cleanest sharpest pixels ever. Scanline 2x3 and bam looks better than any RGB monitor could ever hope for.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Ignorance knows no better, hell, none of you couldn't even fathom to understand it. This is the type of screen all this games were designed on, don't delude yourselves, I get you though, I know why you feel the disdain but you don't really understand what a clean pixel is.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Ignorance knows no better, hell, none of you couldn't even fathom to understand it. This is the type of screen all this games were designed on, don't delude yourselves, I get you though, I know why you feel the disdain but you don't really understand what a clean pixel is.

Thats nice, this thread has nothing to do with your VGA monitor and emulators. Thanks for sharing though.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Thats nice, this thread has nothing to do with your VGA monitor and emulators. Thanks for sharing though.

So what?!...and you're welcome!

Actually it does, it has a lot to do with it. You are talking about differences between video signals, I just presented to you the cleanest possible signal that you'll ever get. Don't like it? That's too bad but thanks for sharing though.

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
So what?!...and you're welcome!

Actually it does, it has a lot to do with it. You are talking about differences between video signals, I just presented to you the cleanest possible signal that you'll ever get. Don't like it? That's too bad but thanks for sharing though.

Actually this thread is about the RGB NES mod. If you like emulators more that's your business, it has nothing to do with whats being posted/discussed as you are not referring to any sort of NES modification.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Actually this thread is about the RGB NES mod. If you like emulators more that's your business, it has nothing to do with whats being posted/discussed as you are not referring to any sort of NES modification.

It doesn't matter, I saw the pictures you provided and the first thought that came to mind was what I posted earlier. Don't get sore, it's ok, keep on trucking, you're doing a good job, I'm not demeaning what you did, I was just being flat out honest.

Haters gona hate and Gohan X is a douche.