RGB NES Thread

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
RGB is nice, especially when it's being pumped out of the real deal - but it doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy like RF.

Here's how I enjoy NES, the way it was intended.

SMB3.jpg

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Last night I finally finished the original Famicom I had sitting on my shelf for awhile. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I decided to do like Backutendo and file the RF port hole larger to fit the SNES style AV port (don't worry it came off a dead PCB). Unfortunately this meant that the hole is not snugly fit around the AV port. I think this method looks better than keeping a gaping hole in the system.

The system is wired for RGB and S-Video and has the PC10 and Original palette wired to the switch in the back. For the palette switch I used one of the RF switches that came with the system in order to keep it original looking. I also decided to forgo some safety to cut down on heat and wired the system to run off a straight 5 volts. The original Famicom does not have a very large heat sink and even with the thermal compound it was over heating. I also did not like how hot the secondary regulator that came with the kit got so this is why its wired like it is. I might go back and clean it up a bit later but for now it is fine. The hard wired controllers have been replaced with hard wired extension cables and the system now works with US style controllers (as well as the US Zapper). The original controllers have also been changed to US style so they have longer cords although the 2nd player microphone no longer works.

And just in case Cristoph is reading this...

1392779341781.gif

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Looks good dude. Very nice work.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I want to do all of that to my Famicom so badly.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
wasn't there a store that was selling Repro AV ports?

Nah he had a small first run of 11 or so (and charged $40 or $45 a piece). I needed something a bit smaller for this one. The SNES I pulled it from had a dead PPU so its cool, it was not getting fixed since I am not sacking a system that works for a PPU. I kept it for stuff like this and still have the PCB to use for parts on other broken SNES consoles.

Last edited:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I'm very impressed with the removable famicom controllers! Do you have a write up on how you did the famicom and the controllers?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I'm very impressed with the removable famicom controllers! Do you have a write up on how you did the famicom and the controllers?

No, I wont be writing this one up. As for the controllers you just need to follow a Famicom controller pinout and or use a multimeter to see which pin goes where by testing for continuity.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
That's it?! Looks like I'm off to find some nes extension cords now! I have heard about people reselling a NA nes controller with famicom plastics but thought what was a little silly. When doing this, do you retain the microphone function for Zelda?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
That's it?! Looks like I'm off to find some nes extension cords now! I have heard about people reselling a NA nes controller with famicom plastics but thought what was a little silly. When doing this, do you retain the microphone function for Zelda?

No it will not retain it.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Original Famicom take two! This time I used the stock Famicom power circuit and mounted the PCB under the Famicom PCB in order to keep the eject lever intact and functional. It appears the Famicom can take the NESRGB without the included power regulator (you still need to put thermal compound on the regulator though). Added US controller ports and an SNES AV port. Unlike the last one this one is wired for RGB, S-Video, and composite. The RF switch in the back is used to switch between the PC10 palette and the Original palette. Sadly this one is not as clean as my other work. There are still some things left to do (like use double sided sticky tape instead of shitty ass hot glue and replace the CPU) and ill be cleaning this rats nest up a good deal when I have done everything.

I also connected the NESRGB sound circuit. Like the AV Famicom it works just fine in the original Famicom. You just need to isolate pin 45 on the cartridge slot and run it through your choice of resistor to the NESRGB kit. You DO NOT need to build your own audio circuit like Tim's website said.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Skips, do you have a FDS system you can test it with? I never could get expanded audio to work with a FDS on my AV system, although it worked fine with the Everdrive. I just restored the original audio circuit.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Skips, do you have a FDS system you can test it with? I never could get expanded audio to work with a FDS on my AV system, although it worked fine with the Everdrive. I just restored the original audio circuit.
I just got my toploader modded with viletims rgb board and expanded audio on both the system and the everdriveN8. Everything works great except I can't get my Everdrive to play disk system games anymore, now it gives an ERR 24 when it tries flipping to side B. It was playing FDS games like a charm before I had it modded, it plays regular NES games just fine and the expanded audio works great when I played Akimaju Densetsu. Anyone know what is probably going on?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student

I don't have a disk system. And as for Audio I cant really test that with 100% certainty right now. The CPU on this Famicom needs to be replaced. One of the sound channels is malfunctioning (picking up an enemy in Mario 2 results in a low muffled sound instead of the correct sound) and its causing some nasty audio problems. I will hopefully be getting a replacement CPU today.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I just got my toploader modded with viletims rgb board and expanded audio on both the system and the everdriveN8. Everything works great except I can't get my Everdrive to play disk system games anymore, now it gives an ERR 24 when it tries flipping to side B. It was playing FDS games like a charm before I had it modded, it plays regular NES games just fine and the expanded audio works great when I played Akimaju Densetsu. Anyone know what is probably going on?

The NESRGB kit itself would not do that. It is either a coincidence or the modder did something else while they were in there. Try formatting the SD card and reloading the OS.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I also forgot to post these. Just some pictures of the Twin Famicom I did for Teddy. I figured these would be beneficial for some since there are not a ton of pics of the twin Famicom installs out there.

And also what mod is not complete without...