Could SNK have made a better SNK vs Capcom on Neo Geo hardware than SVC Chaos?

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Should've made it like a KOF game with capcom characters. Plain and simple. Add a few other specific gimmicks and you are golden.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Saddest thing is that SNKP had a chance to make a bad-ass 2D Morrigan sprite... they passed on it.

The fact that Morrigan's only 2D sprite is her old Vampire incarnation is a sin.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
IIRC they only made the game when the contract was about to expire, it was very much rushed.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
NGBC was essentially an SvC sequel without the Capcom characters so yes, SNK absolutely could've made a better SvC game than SvC Chaos. Between all of their financial issues at the time and the terms of the contract, SvC never had a chance.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
SVC MOTM (NGPC)was so good i really thought Capcom made that game even though it was all SNK.SvC Chaos is a bad game to me.The hit detection is the worst in a Neo game.Dhalsim puches right through everyone and the animations were amazingly smooth on some chars and terrible on others (Bison)

QFT.

MOTM is one of the best fighters (hand held or otherwise), period.

So fun, spot on boxes & collision detection, and dat thumb stick!! The fan service was thru the roof too-customizable win quotes, and the Olympic mini-games...character unlocks, and DC connectivity were just the icing on a big ass cake.

If the same love and attention to detail were given to SvC, it would be one of the highlights of neo gaming.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
SVC's fine. That's it.

Definitely a guilty pleasure and, for all its flaws, I STILL really enjoy it and still go back to it > CvS series... which I never touch nowadays.

Tbh though, played enough CvS over an initial 5yr period after it's DC release to keep me going for life. Probably my most played game ever alongside SFII.

At the end of the day, like I've said earlier in this thread... MOTW existed before SVC. Hell, even RB2 did.

Could you imagine...: SVC in the style of RBS/RB2?!?

Jesus...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm a big fan of CVS Pro 4 buttons on a row. I used to play it a lot like a KOF game but with Capcom inputs, for some reason my combos were tighter that way, all fingers at the ready must be. I love CVS2 but part of me loves that 4 button layout.

SVC's fine. That's it.

Definitely a guilty pleasure and, for all its flaws, I STILL really enjoy it and still go back to it > CvS series... which I never touch nowadays.

Tbh though, played enough CvS over an initial 5yr period after it's DC release to keep me going for life. Probably my most played game ever alongside SFII.

At the end of the day, like I've said earlier in this thread... MOTW existed before SVC. Hell, even RB2 did.

Could you imagine...: SVC in the style of RBS/RB2?!?

Jesus...

I think SVC CHAOS is awesome and it makes me sad in some instances all back and forth; Part of me loves the insane and smooth combo engine and super bar, the maximum makes the match out of control, it keeps supers flying and it keeps the fight looking intense. It's in your face, like ST in many ways, a match can just go in a matter of seconds or take an eternity. I love the roster, I don't mind having a ton of characters to choose from, that's great, but a small roster (like MOTW) is exciting too 'cause you get to learn more in depth about the game due to the less amount of variable matches and have you. The stages are a mix, all of them cool in concept some could have been executed better but the idea is there and you feel the stages, they are not forgettable, I also love the melancholic touch to it, it's not bright but the game comes across just as powerful. Of course I detest some of the hit detection and I wish my favorite character Geese, wasn't so buff along with a few others but it's hard to achieve that in games but this one could have been better tuned before release.

I think the game was rushed out due to the economic pressure the company was under however there's traces of greatness in there, the ports play better funny enough, I wish there was a reworked downloadable networked version with the HDRemix netcode, that would be insane!

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I'm a big fan of CVS Pro 4 buttons on a row. I used to play it a lot like a KOF game but with Capcom inputs, for some reason my combos were tighter that way, all fingers at the ready must be. I love CVS2 but part of me loves that 4 button layout.

I think SVC CHAOS is awesome and it makes me sad in some instances all back and forth; Part of me loves the insane and smooth combo engine and super bar, the maximum makes the match out of control, it keeps supers flying and it keeps the fight looking intense. It's in your face, like ST in many ways, a match can just go in a matter of seconds or take an eternity. I love the roster, I don't mind having a ton of characters to choose from, that's great, but a small roster (like MOTW) is exciting too 'cause you get to learn more in depth about the game due to the less amount of variable matches and have you. The stages are a mix, all of them cool in concept some could have been executed better but the idea is there and you feel the stages, they are not forgettable, I also love the melancholic touch to it, it's not bright but the game comes across just as powerful. Of course I detest some of the hit detection and I wish my favorite character Geese, wasn't so buff along with a few others but it's hard to achieve that in games but this one could have been better tuned before release.

I think the game was rushed out due to the economic pressure the company was under however there's traces of greatness in there, the ports play better funny enough, I wish there was a reworked downloadable networked version with the HDRemix netcode, that would be insane!

Upfront apology. There should have been a wee No. 2 after the letters "CvS". I DID spend a shit load of time on CvS when it came out and Pro too. There's much about CvS1 Capcom totally nailed that they overlooked in CvS2, however, overall, CvS2 was much more widely available to my fighting game friends (across DC, PS2, XB1 & GCN) and, thus, the more played game.

Quite a few changes I disliked in CVS2 vs CVS1 but, most notably; Music, Stage Design and 6-button layout. Really think they should have stuck with the 4-button and opted for a more KOF like system (useful Command Normals for each character etc). Also, where the fuck was Robert and Andy?! Two of my absolute faves... missing.

I also didn't like some of the choices Capcom made re: Hard attack animation choices vs Medium attack i.e. Iori's HP being his headbutt and Ryo's HP being his ridgehand > straight punch from CVS1. Etc.

Also, I agree about having a small, tight yet concise roster. I do like that in fighting games along with the KOF titles with loads of characters on offer. Probably why I prefer the likes of all the Marvel titles up UNTIL MVC2. I thought all the ones before that game were better...

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Should've made it like a KOF game with capcom characters. Plain and simple. Add a few other specific gimmicks and you are golden.

In all honesty it couldn't be done without completely having the Capcom characters seriously underpowered compared to the SNK counterparts, or changing the Capcom playstyle to fit SNK which would alienate the Capcom fans like the CVS series did to the SNK fans.

I wish there was a reworked downloadable networked version with the HDRemix netcode, that would be insane!

No no NOOOOOOO!!! Playmore already tried that route with the patch for KOF XIII. HD Remix can work with that cause of how simple it is. Get anything more advanced then SFII and it plays like shit. Personally though I still think it plays like shit and prefer 'HF for the netcode (and that is saying something)

Last edited:

giggsy07

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The sprites look shite svc chaos.Love fighters but this didn't to the label justice.Should have been more.