Could SNK have made a better SNK vs Capcom on Neo Geo hardware than SVC Chaos?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Again...

Short Answer: Definitely.

Long Answer: MOTW existed in 99/00.

From what I remember, MOTW was started in 1997 from scratch. It really shows that they took their time with it rather than rush like a KOF game.

SVC Chaos could have been better if SNK made it and not Playmore. Probably would have had a way better roster and more inventive combo/super system.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The only thing I don't like is that the control scheme for the Capcom characters are designed around the SNK design, the Capcom characters just feel wrong when you play as them. What would have been nice to see was the control scheme setup according to character such as Capcom more matching the Street Fighter setup and the SNK matching the Fatal Fury setup.

I agree, it would have been interesting to have some SNK characters with 6 action buttons. They could have done it like SS2 for the commands on the 3rd and 6th attack buttons.

Terot

Kabuki Klasher
I agree, it would have been interesting to have some SNK characters with 6 action buttons. They could have done it like SS2 for the commands on the 3rd and 6th attack buttons.

Grab an Atomiswave and KOF:XI or KOF:NW (both are 5 buttons).

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Interesting w2 brings that up.

It's hard to balance out the two rosters because they both rely so much on different fighting systems.

When they were play testing CvS2 down at Southern Hills Golf Land, the big complaints were that the SNK Characters were too strong, and the P-Groove Parry (3-rd Strike Parry System) was total BS (too easy to pull off). But, when the CAPCOM characters got "SNK-d" (all the SNK side steps and rolls) and the P-Groove Parry window got tightened up. All the SNK characters couldn't keep up. And all the CAPCOM characters became the top tier characters.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Grab an Atomiswave and KOF:XI or KOF:NW (both are 5 buttons).

I meant like SS2, press A+B to activate the 3rd "punch" and press C+D to activate the 3rd "kick". Spike made a 6 button SS2 cab, totally changes the game with a 6 button layout.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I meant like SS2, press A+B to activate the 3rd "punch" and press C+D to activate the 3rd "kick". Spike made a 6 button SS2 cab, totally changes the game with a 6 button layout.

I remember seeing pics of that cab, he did an awesome job on it

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
There was a ton of potential to have made a much better game. I'm ok with the Roster, all the game needed was a tighter hit detection and more polish on the a few characters and stages. It was almost there but it was released too soon. I like the old/new power bar system, the games pushes you to go all out with everything you got, no other Neo game pushes that hard, maybe Matrimelee on a different way. SVC Chaos is not SNK's finest hour but is far from being a horrible game.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I never really understand the attitude of the SVC threads. It boggles my poor little mind every time I subject myself to reading them.

#1 It could have been SNK who made it or Playmore with more money or time. The game was rushed and not polished at all. For that being said it's pretty good considering. The characters that were broken or barely tested (from what it feels like) were locked up as mid bosses in the Arcade version. For the people who played the xbox version and thought all of those characters are supposed to be playable that is simply not the case. I was happy they left them in there at all rather then scrapping them since they were not finished (a'la KOF XII did to all the KOF XIII characters we did not see since they had placemarkers in the KOF XII game).

#2 CvS2 is fun but completely..... hilariously.... broken. Not even K Groove or P Groove. A Groove is ridiculous with someone who knows what to do with it. The game is what Capcom does on a consistent basis. Slap a ton of characters and styles in one game making it next to impossible to fine tune it with the amount of time they have to test it. That's the reason why nowadays there are patches all the time with the new games. Speaking of

#3 Go on Supercade or GGPO and try playing most of these games of yesteryear and you will probably get f'ed up by someone who knows the glitches and infinite's to said game. The considered best games from Capcom: CVS2, SFA2, 3rd Strike, MVC2, are littered with ways to break the game. Now that's Capcom. SNK was probably worse then that.

#4 for every person who wants to bring up Garou I implore you to find someone who knows Kevin Rian and the shenanigans involved and tell me how polished of a game it is. Truth be told most fighting games from back in the day do not stand up against youtube and online worldwide playing. There are too many people figuring out how to break the game and it's too easy to upload it to youtube for everybody to abuse. SNK games in general are some of the worst games to play randomly (against great players) online. Pick a SNK game and throw the word glitch or infinite and have fun watching. Unless you can patch games from the 90's they are what they are. Fun, but compared to the super polished versions of nowadays buggy as all heck.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Of course they could have.

The thing is that they were obligated to make this game, so I've read. Obligation usually implies a minimalistic effort.

That being said, I find this game entertaining, so long as the matches are not "serious" in nature.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Maybe there is a more refined version, except it's a yet to be discovered proto.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I feel the XBOX and PS2 versions are better than the cart, I dunno, the hit detection seems more cohesive, am I alone on this?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I always heard the console versions were patched up slightly. For example the Geese Howard trick is at least harder to do.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Spike made a 6 button SS2 cab, totally changes the game with a 6 button layout.

Man I'd love to play that. Probably improved the game a lot. I always felt the two buttons to get six attacks was less than ideal. I was happy that SS3+ moved away from that.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I thought there was a gentlemen's agreement to never mention Capcom Fighting Evolution out loud. It is one of those forbidden words.

SVC is such a weird title. It has this weird bootleg feel to it; the color palette is very un-snk'ish, there isnt a single character that is fun to play with. It really feels like an official title.

It's such a missed oppportunity

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
#2 CvS2 is fun but completely..... hilariously.... broken. Not even K Groove or P Groove. A Groove is ridiculous with someone who knows what to do with it. The game is what Capcom does on a consistent basis. Slap a ton of characters and styles in one game making it next to impossible to fine tune it with the amount of time they have to test it. That's the reason why nowadays there are patches all the time with the new games.

I'm not sure you know what broken means. A groove was powerful, but it didn't break the game. CvS2 was an amazing game. Probably the best fighter of 2000-2010.

mungrin

Panko KING,
SVC MOTM (NGPC)was so good i really thought Capcom made that game even though it was all SNK.SvC Chaos is a bad game to me.The hit detection is the worst in a Neo game.Dhalsim puches right through everyone and the animations were amazingly smooth on some chars and terrible on others (Bison)

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It could have been a better title but the interest is limited and the hardware dated. It was a last resort and possibly a contract fulfillment. Take it for what it was and forget.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'm not sure you know what broken means. A groove was powerful, but it didn't break the game. CvS2 was an amazing game. Probably the best fighter of 2000-2010.

Broken. Using one button to deplete all, or close to all life from opponent let alone actually using any kind of skill like a special over and over it gets worse. I'm not saying CVS2 isn't fun as all hell. I love the game, but that game is ridiculously easy to exploit. Talk to any high level gamer out there and it's the same opinion. Fun as all hell, but there is way too much/too easy stuff that breaks the game if you want to. I didn't even get into unbalanced characters on top of this (i.e. Sagat).

sinister

n00b
SVC MOTM (NGPC)was so good i really thought Capcom made that game even though it was all SNK.SvC Chaos is a bad game to me.The hit detection is the worst in a Neo game.Dhalsim puches right through everyone and the animations were amazingly smooth on some chars and terrible on others (Bison)

Dimps (the true developers behind Street Fighter IV and beyond) made the game...SNK merely published it.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I like the game.

Regarding the Capcom vs SNK 2, I haven't played that game in a while so I have to check again.