MVS to AES converter crowdfunding

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
Just a few more days and all the payment requests will be sent. There's still 10 converters which need assembly, 10 are already shipped, so this week is going to be mostly packaging and sending more mails. I'll do my best to get them all out of here for the end of the month.

I really need to find a company to solder those connectors for the next runs...

blakfishy

n00b
That is a great deal compared to everything on the market now and would look to get an aes+this as a consolized alternative.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Just a few more days and all the payment requests will be sent. There's still 10 converters which need assembly, 10 are already shipped, so this week is going to be mostly packaging and sending more mails. I'll do my best to get them all out of here for the end of the month.

I really need to find a company to solder those connectors for the next runs...

Also sell as kitset?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Um, Are you are backlogged or something because I've sent a few emails with my address (because you said you didn't receive the first one) and the last time I heard from you was on Tuesday via PM. Yet to receive a shipping quote after sending my address on the 15th (the first time I sent it).

Piwi

Rugal's Thug
Same here, send my address but until now no reply :(
Just send you another mail furrtek.

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
The last quotes will be sent tomorrow, along with other US packages. Some of you should get their converters in 7~10 days.
Sorry for the delay, thought I've planned wide enough with 2 months but shipping and QC is always a pain in the ass :<

I've got all your postal and mail addresses, noone's missing, no worries.

Edit: All the US, Spain, Germany and Portugal quotes are sent. It can't get any cheaper than that, I'm using the regular airmail service with tracking. You can check the price yourself on the french post website: https://www.colissimo.fr/affranchissementenligne/displayShipment.do

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Got my quote, payment sent. Don't worry about the shipping too much, it's generally more expensive to ship between the US and Europe than it is Hong Kong and Japan, not to mention that the Euro crushes the USD like a little bug.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Got my quote, payment sent. Don't worry about the shipping too much, it's generally more expensive to ship between the US and Europe than it is Hong Kong and Japan, not to mention that the Euro crushes the USD like a little bug.

Agreed. Cant wait to get the converter lol

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
Cool then.

I should have indicated the shipping from the beginning for the US at least, since I knew approximately the weight of the thing (excluding the boxes). Kind of embarrassing to ask that much but it's really the cheapest...
Also since it's a short run, sending 30 converters to a US reseller wasn't really an option.

And anyways, as stated in the quote, it's always possible to cancel the order if the total ends up being too much (it's even a legal thing, I can't add "hidden" fees without giving the choice of a refund).

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS I CAN PURCHASE ONE FROM YOU PLEASE

caps_lock_cruise_control_for_cool.jpg

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
55/55 quotes sent, if you haven't got it, it's now the time to PM or mail me !

6 packages for the US and Canada left for next week, and everything will be done.

Now hesitating for the second batch.
I'll see how the user experience goes on, but even if people are happy, it's still a pain to assemble everything by hand and alone. It's mainly the price of the connectors which sets the total price, and I'm not earning a whole lot compared to the manual labor :(
Frankly, right now I got about $400 for me, for dev and manufacture and it's been a month long thing, all in all.

Not crying or anything, I still got something and for now it's been a good experience.

Anyways as promised, if I don't do more I'll let the schematics and boards layout go in the wild.

Edit: Just missing 1 US and 1 SP payment right now.

Last edited:

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Like stated above you should have two options a premade one or a DIY kit. :)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Furrtek: Yeah, I as afraid of that, the price was too good to be true for something that requires that much labor. For the next runs, you might have to increase the price to make it worth it.

I think jesesfbi's idea of an unassembled kit to save cost may be a great idea. I could have easily assembled it myself if provided instructions.

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
I'll think about the kit idea, there's really just one fat component which needs a decent soldering iron and a steady hand. The rest is easy.

I'll check prices of factory assembly before. I know it's not even worth it in France, maybe Germany.
China has obviously the best prices but I've heard the best is to go over there to see the people involved before starting anything. The language barrier and the difference between the proto and production version sometimes gives bad surprises :<

The real pain is bending and soldering the 240 connector pins for each converter.
One solution could be making an horizontal-insertion version, as someone stated the total height forced him to pull his AES out of its shelf.
I guess noone had problems with the Daedalus ?

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'll think about the kit idea, there's really just one fat component which needs a decent soldering iron and a steady hand. The rest is easy.

I'll check prices of factory assembly before. I know it's not even worth it in France, maybe Germany.
China has obviously the best prices but I've heard the best is to go over there to see the people involved before starting anything. The language barrier and the difference between the proto and production version sometimes gives bad surprises :<

I'd be down for a kit as I missed the bus the first time around :(

DeusVult

Another Striker
2 versions sounds like a great idea.. I would be in for either version if there is another batch

nothing like building something, making an arse of it and having to buy a proper one :) but at least I tried