MVS to AES converter crowdfunding

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
Sorry for the double post, just keeping pledgers up to date. The components arrived this morning.

1469966_184406428420807_420284313_n.jpg

936022_184406435087473_1988463160_n.jpg

Rotanibor

n00b
Wow nice. I had been wondering for a while why the converters I'd seen in the past for this were so expensive, didn't know you had to put so much into them. Its great to see a more affordable product of this type, going to have to consider it for the future.

baddie

n00b
I'm late to the party as usual. Any idea on when we'll be able to order for the second batch furrtek?

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
Baddie: at the end of January, I'll make an ordering page somewhere and will post about it here.

The final verification boards arrived !

1451593_186299024898214_124444047_n.jpg

Piwi

Rugal's Thug
For the price of existing converters, the main answer imo is profit and exclusivity, which can be easily justified by the relation with the price of AES games. The mold for plastic injection is very expensive too, that's certainly why the new blue SMVSC has exactly the same case than the previous ones, just with an added cutout for the update ports.
After that, I guess the connectors are the most expensive, then the boards, and finally the chip that does all the work.

I think no, too expensive.

baddie

n00b
Thanks for the update :-)

I can't wait for this. I'm a Neo Geo noob and this will be get me started on what I predict will be an unhealthy addiction ;-)

fluxcore

Another Striker
Yep, considering I just picked up an AES, and have NEVER seen games sold separately in my country, this will be a must-have.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Is this the final product, or will there be a hard sell to house the converter?

Coming from experience, including a plastic shell would probably at least double the cost. Commissioning a mold for this would not be cheap.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If anyone needs a shell I'm sure someone can design one and just have it 3D printed. That way it would be cheaper in the end for everyone. If I did that I would probably refinish the shell with some wetsanding and buffing to make it presentable with no layering as an eye sore.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Wow after looking at this I really want to get one. Any word on if there will be a US distributor or something similar?

fluxcore

Another Striker
If anyone needs a shell I'm sure someone can design one and just have it 3D printed. That way it would be cheaper in the end for everyone. If I did that I would probably refinish the shell with some wetsanding and buffing to make it presentable with no layering as an eye sore.

That's a really great idea, if your intention would be to share the plans. Distributed case printing!

Pushky

n00b

depending on the price i would buy one

FreedomGundam

New Challenger
I was thinking the same thing as Xian Xi: if someone were to design it, they can submit the CAD, Sketchup, or whatever else files to a site like Shapeways.com; then anyone else who would want it could buy it directly from them (Shapeways) on a per-order basis. Or do some sort of local group buy or something. All so that the one who designed it wouldn't have to worry about the printing, stocking and shipping themselves.

Mind you, as far as I can tell, it's not exactly cheap to get things 3D printed at Shapeways; for example, an iPhone 4 casing, depending on the material and complexity, appears to run anywhere between $20-60... So I'd imagine a casing for this converter would probably run a similar ballpark, if not even slight more...

fluxcore

Another Striker
Perhaps I'm just fortunate to know multiple people that have 3d printers. It's getting to the point that most people in tech related fields should know someone that does, though...

FreedomGundam

New Challenger
Perhaps I'm just fortunate to know multiple people that have 3d printers. It's getting to the point that most people in tech related fields should know someone that does, though...
I happen to know an old colleague who has a 3D printer as well, but we are both model-builders, so that's definitely a customizing model-builder's dream tool to own, and the reason that he bought one. I haven't had the opportunity to compare the quality of home-stored 3D printers to the bigger commercial ones, though.

I'd be happy to try my hand and designing a casing for this, but I don't own any of the components (MVS carts for the female end, AES carts for the male end, nor this Fusion adaptor (obviously)), so getting precise measurements would not be possible on my end.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I can probably throw something together if I had one of these in my possession. However, with the per-print cost of 3d printing for a 3 piece set (front, back, and pcb divider), getting an injection mold wouldn't be too far fetched if enough people could commit to getting one.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I can probably throw something together if I had one of these in my possession. However, with the per-print cost of 3d printing for a 3 piece set (front, back, and pcb divider), getting an injection mold wouldn't be too far fetched if enough people could commit to getting one.

From the info I gathered it would be cheapest if the 3 pieces were tied together with breakaways to keep it as a single print and charged for materials of a single print rather than 3. It would take some time for the plans though. It would be cool if someone did it for the community.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
From the info I gathered it would be cheapest if the 3 pieces were tied together with breakaways to keep it as a single print and charged for materials of a single print rather than 3. It would take some time for the plans though. It would be cool if someone did it for the community.

I'd be willing to put in some time into the design if you can convince a certain someone to do a metal slug 2 speed fix.