Magician Lord AES

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is there a physical difference between the two versions (not regions)?

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Sorry for the dumb question to follow, but really curious what you mean by "versions". Was there a ROM revision for ML?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sorry for the dumb question to follow, but really curious what you mean by "versions". Was there a ROM revision for ML?

One version has no intro, just goes straight to the game. I think the no intro version is the one on the NGX.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Not sure if this helps, but apparently there are confirmed ROM differences. MVS also drops you to 4 energy squares (from 6) and removes checkpoints as well (regardless of which region/mode you're running).

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Is there a physical difference between the two versions (not regions)?

I've been curious about that too, even more so about if the MVS version played in AES mode would possibly have the intro as well. I remember rabbit troop asking this as well.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
When you say physical differences, that made me think box art and design, etc.

I do know of the life bars that Joneo mentioned. I never noticed the intro, but I usually "tab" press those pretty fast.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I remember seeing a pic of Magician lord with an orange manual instead of purple. Don't remember if that's the version.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not sure if this helps, but apparently there are confirmed ROM differences. MVS also drops you to 4 energy squares (from 6) and removes checkpoints as well (regardless of which region/mode you're running).

Does anyone have the dump of the AES version? I wonder if the only difference is the p rom, maybe some others are different roms as well from MVS to AES.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I may or may not have experienced a difference recently. Previously, I only played it on collection discs, and the NGX. I recently bought a JPN version for my AES, and I immediately noticed the intro and extra life bars/checkpoint system mentioned above that I've never seen before this point. REALLY made things hard. But another thing I've not seen before, and I'm not sure about is wierd. I've been attacked in almost every level (Except stage 3 and..I think 6) at some point by this huge monster made of eyes and tentacles on either side, and he seems invincible. He just drops in and wrecks up my day. Anyone know what that thing is, or what makes it appear? Or how to hurt it? Is it exclusive to that version of the game? It really sucks when you're in a long drop and he keeps respawning below you as you fall.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Are you playing the game with any kind of cheats? If I turn on invincibility I can get that thing to show up quite a bit and no way to kill him, figure it's something built into the game where you are stuck and need to die but are not able to.

I may or may not have experienced a difference recently. Previously, I only played it on collection discs, and the NGX. I recently bought a JPN version for my AES, and I immediately noticed the intro and extra life bars/checkpoint system mentioned above that I've never seen before this point. REALLY made things hard. But another thing I've not seen before, and I'm not sure about is wierd. I've been attacked in almost every level (Except stage 3 and..I think 6) at some point by this huge monster made of eyes and tentacles on either side, and he seems invincible. He just drops in and wrecks up my day. Anyone know what that thing is, or what makes it appear? Or how to hurt it? Is it exclusive to that version of the game? It really sucks when you're in a long drop and he keeps respawning below you as you fall.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Are you playing the game with any kind of cheats? If I turn on invincibility I can get that thing to show up quite a bit and no way to kill him, figure it's something built into the game where you are stuck and need to die but are not able to.

Nope, no cheats! My AES is unmodded.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Nope, no cheats! My AES is unmodded.

Just looked it up and he shows up when you have been in one spot for too long and there is no way to kill it. Just the game telling you to die.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Just looked it up and he shows up when you have been in one spot for too long and there is no way to kill it. Just the game telling you to die.

Man. That game really hates people! I love it, anyway. Is it exclusive to the AES version? Or is it also present in the MVS version? Or is it among the 2 listed versions in the above? I just don't know how I've never seen it till now!

theshuaman

New Challenger
There is actually a timer in the game that is set off by default in the AES version. I have actually never played the game via MVS, so I can't confirm that it ever appears in THAT version, but it is essentially invisible (but can be turned on via UniBios). So when the times runs to zero, that is when the crazy monster shows up to bust up your day. If you access cheats and turn on unlimited time, the bastard won't ever show up and you can take your sweet time.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The tentacle monster pops in when you are taking too long, similar to the white sharks in Bubble Bobble.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Does anyone have the dump of the AES version? I wonder if the only difference is the p rom, maybe some others are different roms as well from MVS to AES.

I'll send you over both versions, Xian Xi. There are ROM differences between the two sets, but it's just a P rom change. Not sure if the MVS ever saw a version 2 of the game (with the intro) or not, but it has been confirmed that there are definitely two versions of the home cart.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'll send you over both versions, Xian Xi. There are ROM differences between the two sets. Not sure if the MVS ever saw a version 2 of the game (with the intro) or not, but it has been confirmed that there are definitely two versions of the home cart.

Sweet, if it's just the p rom, I can probably do a double image and add a switch to play either one.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I tried this game in MVS dev mode and home and noticed that both scenarios listed in this thread are there. In MVS dev mode it showed the intro and gave 4/8 bars instead of 3/6 (home mode)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I have it on 2/4 on my mvs cart and 3/6 on my homecart. If I play the mvs cart on the console using Phantom-1, it remains at 2/4.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
I was wondering about the checkpoint system, AES vs. MVS.
I've owned my AES cart since the 90s and the checkpoint system makes the game very hard.
When I used to go to the arcade I would play the MVS version because you could continue right where you died.
This way I could quarter feed the game through a tough spot I couldn't pass on the AES, save the next level on my memory card and be able to start there on my home system.

20 something years later, my son has taken an interest in the game. He is special needs and doesn't have very good fine motor skills. After not getting very far on the AES version with the check point system, I told him we can load up the game in MAME, because I don't have a MVS cart for our cabinet. I did that for him but we found the same check point system in that version.

So all that to ask, is that a game setting? maybe on of Mames's bios settings? Or is there a different version of the rom that doesn't have that check point system for continuing after dying?

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
I understand better now. For Mame, maglordh.zip is set 2 and is the version that has no checkpoint. Both versions being released for the AES.
I've had a few different Magician Lord AES carts over the years and all had the Intro/Check point. I had in stuck in my head one was AES the other MVS despite what I read above. Got it though, and the kid is happy to play.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Wouldn't it be possible to replace the P1 ROM to change a Magician Lord cart to "Set 2"?