Magician Lord AES

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
This has been debated for a long time on the topic of "two different romset AES releases".

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-(AES)-cart-thread-now-starting-with-BIG-news

Since then, I've been further researching about this even with some Japanese collectors/fan.

As you know, Magician Lord got three different AES releases in Japan:

1) Original plastic box *rental* version - 04/26/90
2) Carton box version - 07/01/91
3) Plastic reprint *consumer* version - ??/??/??

Supposedly, only AES release 1) should be the original no-intro, 6 energy tabs, re-spawn @ fixed points.

AES release 2) and 3) should be the 'revised' version: intro, just 4 energy tabs, but instant re-spawn with some invincibility time.

I really don't know about the MVS. Some says those are just different modes triggered via dip-switch setting, also differently *fixed* in different AES cart production runs, but I seriously doubt about it. Seems more like a P-rom revision scenario to me.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The two Magician Lord AES carts I've owned were the checkpoint versions and had US cart labels placed over the original JP labels.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Most likely a JPN first run re-stickered to be marketed overseas. Something SNK did quite a bit in the the NeoGeo early days. ^^

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
My US uncensored NAM-1975 AES has also been re-labeled with a US one.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
As you know, Magician Lord got three different AES releases in Japan:

1) Original plastic box *rental* version - 04/26/90
2) Carton box version - 07/01/91
3) Plastic reprint *consumer* version - ??/??/??

Supposedly, only AES release 1) should be the original no-intro, 6 energy tabs, re-spawn @ fixed points.

AES release 2) and 3) should be the 'revised' version: intro, just 4 energy tabs, but instant re-spawn with some invincibility time.

Huh. The US release I have is somewhere in the middle-- it has the intro, but I think 6 tabs and you respawn at checkpoints.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Huh. The US release I have is somewhere in the middle-- it has the intro, but I think 6 tabs and you respawn at checkpoints.

I think it should be that if you have an intro you re-spawn at check points.
No intro is re-spawn where you died...

That is what I see different between to two mame rom versions.

My US version (and three others I've owned) is the Intro/check point version.

chimera

New Challenger
Is their a MVS version of magician lord that has the "Intro" and "Check point respawns"?

Or was the "Intro" and "Check point respawns" only on the AES versions?

I have both versions, The "Intro" version on AES and the "No Intro" one on MVS.

I was just wondering if anyone could clarify if there was a "Intro" version for the MVS as i prefer the harder "Check point respawns" of the AES version.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Is their a MVS version of magician lord that has the "Intro" and "Check point respawns"?

Or was the "Intro" and "Check point respawns" only on the AES versions?

I have both versions, The "Intro" version on AES and the "No Intro" one on MVS.

I was just wondering if anyone could clarify if there was a "Intro" version for the MVS as i prefer the harder "Check point respawns" of the AES version.

What if you set your MVS to console mode? I wonder if that will get the intro to show up. I would test but I no longer have it on MVS and only on AES

chimera

New Challenger
What if you set your MVS to console mode? I wonder if that will get the intro to show up. I would test but I no longer have it on MVS and only on AES

Hey Pope Sazae. I just tried your suggestion and it didn't work.

From what I gathered there are two versions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The first version: crc check - BD0A492D
The first version has 4 health bars, No intro, and Instant Re-spawning. AND from what I have gathered is only on MVS Carts????

The second version: crc checck -599043C5
The second version has 6 health bars, has an Intro, and has a Check Point Re-Spawning system. AND from what I have gathered is only on AES carts????

I hope there is an "Intro" version for the MVS cause to be honest I don't like re-spawning right were I died.
Thats like re-spawning right were you died on Super Mario World (that doesn't happen but it would feel wrong and suck is my point) lol.

Edit: also, note I'm saying "first and second version" but I actually don't know what version came before or after. Just saying, I don't want to get more info mixed up...

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
You can use the Unibios to set either console or arcade mode. If the cart has the intro, it will play in either mode.