CRT Fetish Thread

jedfactor

n00b
Ive tried the HLSL filters in Mame, but ended up turning it off as I find it annoying that the scanlines don't move properly with the screen when it pans vertically, they looked like there overlayed on top of the screen, which I guess they are.

I'm pretty sure scanlines on CRTs don't move when games pan vertically either.

HLSL isn't an overlay like scan-line simulation on other emulators it's actually using your graphics card to draw the image to look like that, which is why it can do things like simulate curved edges where it modifies the whole geometry of the image, and simulate phosphor glow where the colors bleed into each other and into the scanlines.

jedfactor

n00b
Its hard to describe but the scanlines look uneven when panning vertically, I don't notice that at all on my BVM. They don't move on an actual crt but they seem to move or look uneven when using HLSL.

Its hard to describe but the scanlines look uneven when panning vertically, I don't notice that at all on my BVM. They don't move on an actual crt but they seem to move or look uneven when using HLSL.

HLSL Scanlines will be uneven and that unevenness will shift if you're using too low of a resolution or if you don't have the settings dialed in properly for your LCD.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
Well, I got my wii component cable, and tried setting it to 480p, and ran into this. 480i seems to be fine though. 2015-05-29_18-07-33.png

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Guessing that's a 20M2MDU or similar... other than the "new" monitors like the L5, 480p won't work. For NTSC It's 240p/480i or bust.

Still looks good :)

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Bought this 13" Genuine Sorny PVM-1341 for $49 a week back. Got my Genesis Scart cable and BNC to Scart cables today/Saturday. The picture is small but berry berry good.

IKJPLcp.jpg

Last edited:

gusmoney

10 Year Member
So, in the course of a week and two days I have gone from zero PVMs to now having two!

Stumbled across another PVM-1341 on ebay last night...auction ended today with me as the only bidder and got it for a whopping $0.99 with local pick-up. Guy had a bunch of BNC cables listed too and I bought them off of him for $20.

FQ72Fcd.jpg

I am pretty happy with this rig with the idea of having a player on each monitor for two player games (need to see how bad the lag is) or perhaps turning one vertical?

Anyone have any other input on uses for the second monitor?

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
gus, those little monitors actually look pretty nice; they almost make me reconsider my bias for bigger monitors, but I can't rationalize playing on anything smaller than 19". Its weird, because when I was a kid I played my NES on a 14" black and white TV, but I could never do something like that now. Maybe if I had less space, the little monitors would be more attractive to me, they certainly are more common.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
gus, those little monitors actually look pretty nice; they almost make me reconsider my bias for bigger monitors, but I can't rationalize playing on anything smaller than 19". Its weird, because when I was a kid I played my NES on a 14" black and white TV, but I could never do something like that now. Maybe if I had less space, the little monitors would be more attractive to me, they certainly are more common.

Thank you.

At the very least they are a good introduction to the world of PVM and will tide me over until something bigger comes along.

I don't know how clearly that picture demonstrates but the space I have them setup in is my very small study so they are not that out of place.

We'll see how it goes, fun so far at some very reasonable prices...and my consoles are setup again which is great.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Damn. I would have been all over this, but I have been MIA from the site for quite some time now. Going through a divorce has been tons of fun . . .

That sucks man. I'm doing the same. A guy from Milwaukee is driving over to pick that one up. $200. In all honesty, my 2004 consumer Samsung CRT looks just as good as the PVM-2530 when I use a SCART to Component converter. You're not really missing much in my eyes.

90s

That sucks man. I'm doing the same. A guy from Milwaukee is driving over to pick that one up. $200. In all honesty, my 2004 consumer Samsung CRT looks just as good as the PVM-2530 when I use a SCART to Component converter. You're not really missing much in my eyes.

I do wonder about that. Some of these monitors are from the late 80s/early 90s, so I would be interested to see a comparison with the last SD CRTs that were released and the lower end RGB monitors. Maybe the issue is that CRTs in N/A didn't accept RGB (to my knowledge). Is the performance of SD CRTs even measured in line count though, like with the RGB monitors?

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
TG16 with RGB amp mod, wired to a Neo Geo DIN 8 connector replacing the RF out. Also Stereo 3.5mm connector wired in place of the RF channel switch.

18428456931_4c1036140e_c.jpg

PVM 20L2
18422570792_89578b2468_c.jpg

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
That Bonk screen shot looks absolutely perfect! Great job.
Did you use someone's guide to do this work? I'd love to see how it's done.

TG16 with RGB amp mod, wired to a Neo Geo DIN 8 connector replacing the RF out. Also Stereo 3.5mm connector wired in place of the RF channel switch.

PVM 20L2
18422570792_89578b2468_c.jpg

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I found a guy locally here in Vancouver that was able to do this for my TG16. He also did my NES RGB mod that I posted above.

This is it on his test bench before putting epoxy down to hold the DIN connector in place. The wiring at the other end was my original AV jacks I had installed. In terms of what circuit he built to get it done I'm not 100% sure. It was actually the first TG16/PC Engine he's ever worked on so it was a bit of a learning experience for him. If you're in the Vancouver area PM me and I can get you his email. The TG16 RGB mod cost me $30.

Note this is before he cleaned up all the wiring and put it back together! :)
17805898994_534f4a4342.jpg

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
So, in the course of a week and two days I have gone from zero PVMs to now having two!

Stumbled across another PVM-1341 on ebay last night...auction ended today with me as the only bidder and got it for a whopping $0.99 with local pick-up. Guy had a bunch of BNC cables listed too and I bought them off of him for $20.

FQ72Fcd.jpg

I am pretty happy with this rig with the idea of having a player on each monitor for two player games (need to see how bad the lag is) or perhaps turning one vertical?

Those would be awesome for some head to head action. I take it they are only 13" diag?

eggball

n00b

http://i.imgur.com/FQ72Fcd.jpg?1

Holy smokes. I'm jealous that you were able to get such a great deal. If you do any competitive games, maybe could use for head to head setup.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Those would be awesome for some head to head action. I take it they are only 13" diag?

That is my thought, two player would be great. Need to try it out. 13", yup.

So when I bought my OEV203 one of the BNC Connectors (composite video) had been snapped off. leaving the nut and washer for the back side of the connector lose inside the case. over the weekend I finally got some other projects off my desk so I could open it up remove the lose bits and repair the connector.

11380814_446818738811427_699486686_n.jpg

I also built my own BNC to SCART connector.
No one replied to my request for a BNC to SCART pinout/diagram earlier so here is what I ended up doing with my cable for anyone that is interested:
SCART -> BNC

pin 2 -> Audio Right
pin 4 -> Audio Ground
pin 5 -> Blue Ground
pin 6 -> Audio Left
pin 7 -> Blue Signal
pin 9 -> Green Ground
pin 11 -> Green Signal
pin 13 -> Red Ground
pin 15 -> Red Signal
pin 17 -> Sync Ground
pin 20 -> Sync Signal
pin 21 -> BNC cable shielding

Finally I hooked up the Saturn for some Radiant Silvergun in beautiful RGB...

11378876_1137272446299617_625790174_n.jpg

One issue I'm having is that I'm getting quite a bit of audio hum from the Saturn SCART cable that I bought, I've ruled out my SCART to BNC connector as other consoles don't seem to have this issue. Does anyone know of any modifications I could make to the Saturn SCART to help reduce the noise?

Last edited:

90s

Where did you get your Saturn SCART cable? The Saturn is especially bad with buzzing audio if a poor quality cable is used. I ended up getting a cable from this guy and the buzz is barely audible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn...896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2800dd7b70

You could also try modding the Saturn for digital audio. I used to have one and it sounded great. It's one of the things I most regret selling.

I bought the same cable from thefoo and I'm happy with it.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I pulled the VTR plug and put a scart plug in it's place. I tapped the CMPTR port for RGBS, 5V and ground. Reason I did this is I dont wanna buy or make a cable for the CMPTR plug and the BNC input you need a LM1881 circuit. So this just makes it way easier for me to hook up stuff to this and to bring it to cons and game meet ups. I might do this to my other little PVMs later
ZQCSF0G.jpg