CRT Fetish Thread

Where did you get your Saturn SCART cable? The Saturn is especially bad with buzzing audio if a poor quality cable is used. I ended up getting a cable from this guy and the buzz is barely audible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn...896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2800dd7b70

You could also try modding the Saturn for digital audio. I used to have one and it sounded great. It's one of the things I most regret selling.

I bought it on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UBCVGIC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

the product photo on amazon (3rd one down) is the same as the one in the eBay listing you posted... the cable I received looks exactly the same as well.

Digital audio isn't really an option on my setup as I have nothing to decode it. not to mention I'd like to be able to use a SCART switch.

EDIT: I've left a review on amazon to hopefully prevent someone else from buying that one.

Last edited:

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Does anyone have or have used a Sony pvm 1900? There's one for really cheap near me but I don't know how good of a model it is for retro gaming. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hey everyone.

I'm in desperate need of a Mitsubishi Megaview Pro 37 Service manual, or the closest equivalents i can find.

Also would love to get a hold of the manuals of the BVM-1911. If you have anything, please let me know.

thank you

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I pulled the VTR plug and put a scart plug in it's place. I tapped the CMPTR port for RGBS, 5V and ground. Reason I did this is I dont wanna buy or make a cable for the CMPTR plug and the BNC input you need a LM1881 circuit. So this just makes it way easier for me to hook up stuff to this and to bring it to cons and game meet ups. I might do this to my other little PVMs later
ZQCSF0G.jpg

Nice, I like this!

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
recently stumbled upon this old Hitachi TV from the mid 80's that says TV/Monitor on the front and on the back I found this mystery input labled "RGB"
20150612_153725_zps2tacpdjp.jpg

Anybody recognize this type of jack?
Is it anything that can be used for games?

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
That's a VTR (Video Tape Recorder) connector - 8 Pin EIAJ jack. Used to connect video recording devices, cameras and such.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
recently stumbled upon this old Hitachi TV from the mid 80's that says TV/Monitor on the front and on the back I found this mystery input labled "RGB"
20150612_153725_zps2tacpdjp.jpg

Anybody recognize this type of jack?
Is it anything that can be used for games?

I think I have the same Hitachi. I found it at a thrift about six months ago for $5. Bought it since it's a nice looking set and I was intrigued by this supposed RGB connector. From the research I've done it sounds like Hitachi sold a VCR that paired with the TV that used this input.

Did yours come with a remote? If so could you post a pic so I know what to look for?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
It's not mine yet, but I believe it does have the remote. It's in a house I'm selling and am pretty sure they are going to junk it. Next time I'm by I'll snap a photo of the remote.

Any progress on making an adapter cable for it?

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
That's not RGB, it's really just composite video. A lot of professional-quality VCRs use that exact same connector.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
That's not RGB, it's really just composite video. A lot of professional-quality VCRs use that exact same connector.

I know that now, but on mine the port is labeled as RGB. Silly Hitachi getting my hopes up. It's still a cool little TV though. I've been using mine to introduce my three year old to games.

SlikkNikk

n00b
I have a Sony PVM.

When playing an SNES, I am using a multi out Scart cable plugged into a Scart to RGB cable. Today is the first time I tried using it and the picture is distorted. See pictures below. Any help would be appreciated.

rhiohki

Dodgeball Yakuza
may be a cable wiring problem? Have you made sure the ground is wired correctly on the scart cable?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This may be a stupid question, but is your SNES Mini RGB-modded? ;)

If so, check monitor connections and settings. Judging from the pictures, you're missing sync.

Last edited:

SlikkNikk

n00b

SlikkNikk

n00b

rhiohki

Dodgeball Yakuza

Those cables, from the feedback of the seller's seem legit.

EDIT:...just saw your posted your connections. It could possibly be the EURO female scart cable. Your SNES to Scart cable is euro wired? Have you ever used the RGB/Synch connections on this monitor anytime before? If so, did it work?

Last edited:

SlikkNikk

n00b
Those cables, from the feedback of the seller's seem legit.

EDIT:...just saw your posted your connections. It could possibly be the EURO female scart cable. Your SNES to Scart cable is euro wired? Have you ever used the RGB/Synch connections on this monitor anytime before? If so, did it work?

No, this is the first time. My SNES is not euro.....it's US as far as I know.

rhiohki

Dodgeball Yakuza
No, this is the first time. My SNES is not euro.....it's US as far as I know.

That's interesting. Try and see if you can eliminate possible issues in the chain. You have the two cables, the snes and the monitor RGB, all, from what I understand you hadn't tried before, though it does look like a synch issue.

juci

n00b
seems super weird, that the monitor definitely takes composite as sync.
are you sure youve pressed the external sync button?
if so im sure its a monitor setting thats causing it.

Edit: is the stereo interfering?

and is there a difference in picture with external sync plugged and unplugged?
Try the In and Out external sync inputs.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You need to press the EXT Sync button on the front of the monitor and switch it to external sync which is RGBS(what you are using) instead of SOG(Sync on green) which you are not using.

Rotanibor

n00b
Is $100 reasonable for a local pick up PVM 20m4u in SoCal? Anything to look for when testing it out?