CRT Fetish Thread

2050-Z

New Challenger
LOL at megalomaniac dissing PVMs

> whats the point of all this???

> SNES has a YPBPR mod
> also N64 and Gamecube have another YPBPR mod

> so why mess around with a little 20" sony PVM and RGB and BNC adapters and scart adapters and whatever else you want to daisy chain in there when you can use basic generic component cables to display YPBPR on any NTSC (70") TV while also getting 480p/576p from Gamecube????
> this thread seems to make the simplest tasks so difficult

XFD

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
For one thing, rgb it's superior to component in this application. Second, even if using the other inputs pvms offer superior image quality over consumer level sets. The people in this thread are using pvms since it is the best image quality for classic gaming, period.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
For one thing, rgb it's superior to component in this application. Second, even if using the other inputs pvms offer superior image quality over consumer level sets. The people in this thread are using pvms since it is the best image quality for classic gaming, period.

Just wanted to correct a small tidbit. MOST PVMs are better. The older sub 600 line ones, although they do look good, can be beat out picture quality wise by the later wegas (if the Wega does not have a bagillion hours on it) when using a super high quality component converter (the FC-14 for example). My 32 inch Wega from 2004-2005 shat all over the PVM-2030 and PVM-2530 picture quality wise when using the FC-14. To bad the old monster died :(.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
That's interesting to hear, Skips. I really want to get my hands on one of those $40-50 RGB to component converters and test that on a Wega against my 2530 via RGB. Did your Wega do 480p?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd be interested to hear your comparison when you get the converter, aaron. I've got one of those converters but never had the opportunity to put it head to head with a similar RGB monitor.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
That's interesting to hear, Skips. I really want to get my hands on one of those $40-50 RGB to component converters and test that on a Wega against my 2530 via RGB. Did your Wega do 480p?

No it was not an HD CRT. Also the CVS287 on eBay is good but it is still a cheap converter. The 2530 will still look a bit better than component over the CVS287 (assuming both monitors do not have a ton of hours and are not worn out).

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
As would I. I have a newer WEGA 32" and am looking at getting an RGB-Component converter as well.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
We may have to settle for my 2005 Samsung SD CRT which has component as well. As it stands I have 3 pvm's a gxtv and the samsung. I'd like to stay married. :) is your converter audio modded? Would you consider lending it to me if I gave you a deposit?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got a Samsung sd crt. Had to go into the service menu to dial out some of the excess red, then it was the next best thing to a Trinitron.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Oh nice. If you still have it hooked up, I would love to see some close up shots of some 240p content running with that converter!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've still got it, but it's not hooked up. Also, I can't take a pic of a crt worth a damn, I tried and tried to get a good pic of my Commodore monitor a few weeks ago.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I am curious about the Trinitrons quality compared to PVMs of different models. What model Trinitron were you using Skips? I am using Trinitron 27" KV27FS100 and it looks amazing compared to some other Trinitrons I have tested. All of the sets only got around 2-3 years of use. Also, how many lines of resolution are on them?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I am curious about the Trinitrons quality compared to PVMs of different models. What model Trinitron were you using Skips? I am using Trinitron 27" KV27FS100 and it looks amazing compared to some other Trinitrons I have tested. All of the sets only got around 2-3 years of use. Also, how many lines of resolution are on them?

I cant remember what the model of my Wega was, sorry. As for lines I am not sure of that either. The Sony Wega manuals do not seem to give a line count like service manuals on a PVM do. I will say though that, unless they have a ton of hours on them, a 600+ line PVM in RGB will beat out your consumer grade trinitron. That much I do know.

Last edited:

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Well, seeing as the 2530 is 560 lines I'm going to assume that a consumer Trinitron being fed the right signal could look better than a 2530 which is interesting to me. Warrants further investigation. :)

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
I just got my SCART to RGB cable in from wyo, and holy fuck I didn't know SNES could look so good. I tried taking pictures but neither my camera nor my phone were cooperating

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone have an NEC XM-2950G? what are the advantages of it over a PVM-2950Q/QM? how is it different from the XM-2960?

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Does anyone have an NEC XM-2950G? what are the advantages of it over a PVM-2950Q/QM? how is it different from the XM-2960?

NEC XM-2950G is an older version of the XM-2960. Both are 800 line monitors. The XM-2950 has its ports on the sides in the back, the XM-2960 has them all at the bottom middle. The biggest advantage over the PVM-2950 is the fact that it has 200 more lines on it (PVM-2950 is 600) thus making it a MUCH sharper monitor. In addition to it being sharper the scanlines are a bit thicker. All around the NEC XM29 is a better monitor than the PVM-2950 if you have both available to you.

*edit* I forgot the XM29 does not have component video so if you need component the PVM-2950 would be a better choice.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
NEC XM-2950G is an older version of the XM-2960. Both are 800 line monitors. The XM-2950 has its ports on the sides in the back, the XM-2960 has them all at the bottom middle. The biggest advantage over the PVM-2950 is the fact that it has 200 more lines on it (PVM-2950 is 600) thus making it a MUCH sharper monitor. In addition to it being sharper the scanlines are a bit thicker. All around the NEC XM29 is a better monitor than the PVM-2950 if you have both available to you.

*edit* I forgot the XM29 does not have component video so if you need component the PVM-2950 would be a better choice.
so, is the XM-2950G multisync (15khz/31khz)? can it accept 480p video?

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
so, are they muiltysync (15khz/31khz)? can they accept 480p video?

I've never tried it on mine when I had it but supposedly the VGA port can, or so people tell me. PM phonedork, he has an xm29 and can probably explain that better than I can. The only thing I used the VGA port on mine for was connecting an old DOS/win 95 laptop and it was able to do up to 1024 x 768 on that.

Pikkon

n00b
Since there is some talk on consumer crt's thought I would share a pic of my super fami thats component modded.

It's running on a 32 inch sd sony trinitron,can get the model# if anyone needs to know.

2050-Z

New Challenger
Well, I bit the bullet and a PAL GameCube is on the way. RGB testing with NTSC games incoming.