Any musicians want to collab?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Now I'm going to have to sit down and figure out those other progressions. In that second section, there's a crazy solo, and there's some really high notes that are hit, so maybe we can have a sax/guitar trade-off there, but keep it smooth jazz-ish and just improv something mellow there (maybe an octave or two lower) after the main melody.

Did Jedah and/or cdamm come up with a nice grooving bass line? Is there anybody out there than can program some nice laidback drums? Does another guitarist want to get in on this? Who else wants to participate?

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Now I'm going to have to sit down and figure out those other progressions. In that second section, there's a crazy solo, and there's some really high notes that are hit, so maybe we can have a sax/guitar trade-off there, but keep it smooth jazz-ish and just improv something mellow there (maybe an octave or two lower) after the main melody.

Did Jedah and/or cdamm come up with a nice grooving bass line? Is there anybody out there than can program some nice laidback drums? Does another guitarist want to get in on this? Who else wants to participate?

Yeah, around 1:20 it really goes out of my range. One option would be where I could do the 2nd melody from around 0:58 to 1:10ish and then you could go into a solo? At that point we could trade or do whatever. Improv is my thing so that won't be a problem at all.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I wouldn't mind doing a little improv solo. I'd like to make it a lot more modern jazzy, kind of laid back sounding (nowhere near as crazy as the recording). Would you want to take a guitar solo as well? Depending on who all wants to get in on this, we can trade off between each other. I think the sax should be a big part of it, and I also think it would be cool for the last couple measures at the end of the improv, maybe having a guitar and sax come together to do a cool harmony to finish it off.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
It's not in perfect sync, but it gives an idea of what it can sound like (which I think will be awesome). I literally dropped both files into the multitracker and mixed them down.

http://soundcloud.com/wespaul/cleanguitarsax

EDIT - I think once we get everybody playing to a click track, this will be way easier than we think.

sounds awesome. this has been a nutso week for me at work, but i will be all over a basic bassline tomorrow (maybe even a second guitar). i'll start tinkering in the morning (i gotta run out for the evening in a bit).

once we get the players lined up and everyone in the same pocket we should have no problem tackling a whole song. lets see whos in and who submits to the :20 sample and see what we sound like- then we can blow the roof off this thing.

Last edited:

cannonball

15 Year Member
I wouldn't mind doing a little improv solo. I'd like to make it a lot more modern jazzy, kind of laid back sounding (nowhere near as crazy as the recording). Would you want to take a guitar solo as well? Depending on who all wants to get in on this, we can trade off between each other. I think the sax should be a big part of it, and I also think it would be cool for the last couple measures at the end of the improv, maybe having a guitar and sax come together to do a cool harmony to finish it off.

Yeah it would be really cool to get everyone trading. We definitely need some bass solo action (someone here needs to slap bass on this track. It's screaming for it). I like the idea for the ending harmony. If we end up not getting any other guitarists in on this I might be up for doing a guitar solo too during the trade offs. Anyone play xylophone?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The musicians that I know of on this site:

cdamm
Jedah
canonball
LWK
Hidden Character
Michael Yagami
Takumaji
ookitareapanda
Kiel
Me

That's off the top of my head (I know there's more). It'd be really cool to get some slap bass on this, and maybe some keyboard action going on with whatever patches gel. In the beginning the tune has that little melody that I think would sound really good with a piano setting. A piano would also sound really good complimenting the guitar's 7 chords, too. I'm a huge piano novice, so I can't really help in that area. I'm still learning :crying:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
The musicians that I know of on this site:

cdamm
Jedah
canonball
LWK
Hidden Character
Michael Yagami
Takumaji
ookitareapanda
Kiel
Me

That's off the top of my head (I know there's more). It'd be really cool to get some slap bass on this, and maybe some keyboard action going on with whatever patches gel. In the beginning the tune has that little melody that I think would sound really good with a piano setting. A piano would also sound really good complimenting the guitar's 7 chords, too. I'm a huge piano novice, so I can't really help in that area. I'm still learning :crying:

Hey I was actually just trying to lay down some slap bass lines to this but ran into a problem. It's starts off with a 'B' progression, but when I listen to your guitar riff it sounds a tad sharp. It's not a 'C' kinda sharp, just a bit off. Do you want us to tune up to that?

Or I may just be hearing things. ^_^

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The first chord is a Cmin7. I tuned up before I played, so it should be 440. Unless my intonation is off, because I am playing it in 8th position, but I didn't sense that. I'll check tomorrow.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
If you guys decide to do something a bit out there like this, I'll lay down the vocals.
Shine on!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i'm noodling through a few parts im working on. i'll have something up later tonight.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
big-bear-doin-thangs-bad-album-art.jpg

Make them say UUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!

I make amateur hip-hop beats, though I don't know how that would translate to this project.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
A short while ago, I was reminded of the Dead Kennedys' "Nazi Punks Fuck Off!":

...and, in light of recent events on the board with our friend Zeljko Aksentijevic, it might be fun but dumb idea to do a parody cover: "Nazi pedos? Fuck off!"

cannonball

15 Year Member
My shit just arrived in the mail. I'll let you know if I have issues getting it set up cdamm. Thanks again.

Anyone do any more with this yet? I'm dying to hear a bass line mixed in.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
My shit just arrived in the mail. I'll let you know if I have issues getting it set up cdamm. Thanks again.

Anyone do any more with this yet? I'm dying to hear a bass line mixed in.

ive been stupid busy with work. i got some ideas down, but i still need to record a track.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm always in for a bit of jamming but this isn't really my type of music. Not that I'd find it bad or anything, I'm just sailing totally different waters, so to speak. :)

For instance, my tracks consists of patterns and pattern loops (not necessarily sample loops, mind you) of electronic sounds. I arrange 8, 16 or 32 (a rare thing) bars with drums, basses, pads and all sorts of weird effects on my 8-channel sequencer, route the single channels over my fx section if necessary and then create the track by letting the arranged bars loop ad infinitum and muting and demuting single sequencer or mixer tracks while performing live on the machines. Recording is done with Cool Edit Pro as a single track which sometimes gets post-produced/mastered if I feel like it.

"Normal" musicians think and play in complete song structures, read, the single tracks of a recording (drums, bass, guitar, etc.) span the whole song, they're not just loops or patterns like in my case. That's something I have difficulties with, most of my equipment isn't meant for that sort of stuff anyway. It's also difficult to keep in sync without MIDI signals or other time signatures with electronic gear, even though I have a good sense of rhythm (so they say).

So... if you need something purely electronical, for ex. some ambient soundscapes, drumloops, synth basslines, bleeps or other stuff to spice up your recordings, I'd be happy to send you some wavs but I guess I'm not really useful for doing these song-oriented recordings you guys have in mind.

I'm just an old knob twiddler, please bear with me. :D

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Bah, you can get in on the fun, dude. Don't sell yourself short (not your musical abilities, but your ability to work with others, even if it's not the same style you're used to). If you don't want to get in on this one, I'm sure we can find something that everybody feels comfortable adding to.

Right now my eclipse is in the shop getting a guitar spa-treatment (completely polished/cleaned, re-fretted, and setup for .13s in standard 440). The intonation was off, and was really noticeable after the 12th fret (like a semi-tone off). I've been playing on my backup guitar, but it doesn't sound as good (still need to replace the pickups), so I'm going to have to wait to record something (but I'm still working out progressions). I've thought about mic'ing my acoustic to compliment the sax/jazz bass even more (I think it would definitely sound better), but I need to buy some strings because the ones I'm playing on are like a year old.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
My guitars should be back Saturday. Shit is taking a longass time, and all I have is this damn acoustic until then..

SnappleMan

n00b
I can do:

Guitar
Bass
Keyboards
Drums
Mixing
Mastering
On site recording

Hit me up if you need me to do anything. <3

I recently started an unofficial Garou MOTW arrange album, here's a demo:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32558357/gmow_grnt_demoV1.mp3

Just started working on these tunes so there isn't much there, but I should have decent demos soon enough that everyone here can participate in.

I also have a lot of other SNK themed stuff that I'm working on (I'm a regular remixer at OCRemix and Dwelling of Duels) that I was planning to do alone but seeing as there are many musicians here I'd love for the SNK stuff to be collaborations between the peopel who love this music the most.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Yes! Welcome aboard, man! Good call on MOTW, I've always had an itch to do Dong's theme.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Just bought an SM57 to get up to real business, no more of my shitty amateur mic. I'd be interested to hear how you guys record stuff - actually Wes I just sent you a message on FB.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I gave you a pretty big reply :P Snappleman may be better help when it comes to actually mixing and mastering the stuff, though

SnappleMan

n00b
So what are the plans for the collaborations here? People record audio to a click and send it to someone for mixing? Do we share project files?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Yeah. We come up with a tempo, record to a click track, and then send to the mixer. We can get a Dropbox going for sharing purposes.

cannonball

15 Year Member
Glad to see some activity here again. Really looking forward to getting this going. That guitar of yours must be getting the 5 star spa treatment Soil!