Legend of Grimrock

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Just bought this game during the steam summer sale and I've only put a few hours into it but I keep coming back for more. It's a fantastic game.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Time just disappears when I load this game up. Currently stuck on level 4.

Great game.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That Ogre on Level 6 is ridiculous. Finally got him.

The puzzles on this level are quite obtuse. I'm stumped on two. Gotta take a break and come back to it later.

How many levels are there in this game?

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
bump for legend of grimrock 2. Anyone else playing? Game is fantastic so far.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Still no robot dinosaurs. Still disappointed.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Wrapping up the end of the first one. Then I'm starting on the second.
Some of these secret puzzles are brutal.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I plan on picking up part 2 when I get some time to play it. Love the first one! Takes me back to my days playing the might and magics.

I'm really excited about the addition of an overworld.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Will put on my Wishlist.

No time to game at the moment.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fuck, I read the thread title as 'Legend of Grimjack' again. FUCK.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Playing the hell out of this game now. It's amazing. What party comp are you guys running?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
beat LOG 1 about 2 weeks ago. that last 2 hours or so of gameplay is brutal! had to faq a few key elements.
my team was minotaur axe warrior, bug mage, lizard assassin, and lizard archer.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I went with the default party, but I'm thinking of starting over now and changing some things. This game is definitely harder than LOG.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I went with the default party, but I'm thinking of starting over now and changing some things. This game is definitely harder than LOG.

I started over a couple times. Favorite party so far:

Insectoid Knight (Quick & Chitin) Heavy Weapons/Heavy Armor
Lizardman Rogue (Endure Elements & Agile) Light Weapons/Light Armor/Dodge
Ratling Alchemist (Mutation & Agile) Missile Weapons/Alchemy
Human Wizard (Fast Learner & Skilled) Concentration/Air Magic/Water Magic

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I started over a couple times. Favorite party so far:

Insectoid Knight (Quick & Chitin) Heavy Weapons/Heavy Armor
Lizardman Rogue (Endure Elements & Agile) Light Weapons/Light Armor/Dodge
Ratling Alchemist (Mutation & Agile) Missile Weapons/Alchemy
Human Wizard (Fast Learner & Skilled) Concentration/Air Magic/Water Magic

Started over again with a couple tweaks. Kept the Insectoid Knight (Quick & Chitin) Heavy Weapons/Heavy Armor. Replaced the frontline rogue with a Minotaur Barbarian (Head Hunter & Martial for the accuracy) Heavy Weapons/Heavy Armor. The best weapons in the end game are all STR based heavy, and the most powerful weapons you get early game are STR based heavy as well, save for one dagger.

I moved the Lizardman Rogue to the back row and added a couple points of Accuracy to allow for light weapon attacks from the back row.

The Human Wizard I changed to a Human Alchemist. I realized when approaching mid-game that with the Human Fast Learner & Skilled I reached my skill goals very quickly and hadn't really had to use alchemy much. By making my Alchemist my caster I get to keep the herb duping and bomb making and I have a character I can start off with one point of alchemy in place of water. Beeline for Invisibility and use that with my back rank rogue backstabbing, then take water and alchemy later on.

With this setup I get two heavy plate wearers in the front for better survivability and make better use of equipment. I found both missile and firearms to be lackluster. You can get the second best bow in the game in the third zone and it's as good as the firearm you get in the fourth zone, but you can't re-use ammo for firearms so it's not worth it. Having a rogue up front wasn't as viable as in Grimrock 1 since there is no set of evasion gear. You have to go a minimum of light armor on the front ranks, extremely preferable to go heavy armor, and there are several really nice sets of heavy armor with good set bonuses. The dex outfit you want your rogue in to maximize damage doesn't require any armor use, so you put the two skill points in Accuracy instead of Armor to attack from the back rank and you get a nice additional accuracy bonus to boot.