Legend of Grimrock

aria

Former Moderator

I mean, Jake's game could be awesome, but it will never match the expectations set by the misread title. I was imagining hearing Grimlock's voice and diction peppering the gameplay with "Me, Grimlock, real-time weapons change", etc.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I'm almost to the end of level 2. It's taken me 2 hours as well! The puzzles are really fun so far. Ghost Dog is getting really into it. All the reviews I've read online have been really positive. I think people have been waiting a long time for something like this.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Man remiss me of what a new bards tale would be like, if it has a city I'm sold!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Looks kinda neat.

I've been getting into these kinds of games more lately. Been experiencing an Etrian Odyssey revival lately, just got a copy of The Dark Spire and I still love Wizardry.

But still, this would have been cooler as 'Legend of Grimlock.'

Because Grimlock is legendary.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I just got through the first level. Awesome. Definitely a nod to EOB with that first secret area on the first floor with the dagger in the niche, just like 'Flicka' from EOB 1.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Finished this one a few minutes ago. Cool ending. Time for a second run through to figure out how to open up the few areas I never got access to.

Also, if you plan on hitting max stats on any of your skills you probably don't want to spread your points around at all. I didn't max anything (not even close) before the game was already over.

Marek

Banned
Grimlock can be cold, merciless and contemptuous of those he considers beneath him, such as human beings, and at times, even Autobot leader Optimus Prime himself, who Grimlock would gladly supplant as Autobot leader if he were able to, giving him a superiority complex as indicated by his Generation 1 tech specs. Nevertheless, he is a valiant warrior whose actions command respect from all who are witness to them, both friend and foe.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fuck, today was the first time I didn't read the title as "Grimlock" except this time I read it as, "Legend of Grimjack". Disappointed again! Even though I knew this thread was here!

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
I'm 13 hours in and only on level 7. I have skipped a lot of the secret doors and things as well.

I played with the default party. I can't wait to beat it and try out some other combinations. I really hope the developer continues to expand this game and make a series out of it.

cannonball

15 Year Member
I'm 13 hours in and only on level 7. I have skipped a lot of the secret doors and things as well.

I played with the default party. I can't wait to beat it and try out some other combinations. I really hope the developer continues to expand this game and make a series out of it.

What do they give you for the default party?

My first playthrough I had an all human party of warrior, rogue, and two mages. While by the end of the game (level 12 for all chars), I had a pretty powerful party, I didn't really need two mages.

I just started a new game tonight on hard difficulty and I made a pretty cool party:

1. front line lizardman rogue who will be unarmed combat with high evade. I was trying to make a monk and I think the rogue class lends itself better to that than the fighter class. I've been wanting to punch things with those pit fighter gloves!
2. front line minotaur fighter who gets boosts for carrying skulls. I think i'm going mace line for him.
3. Human rogue going all archery from the back row
4. Insectoid Mage going down the air magic line.

I *love* this party compared to my first play through so far. I'm on the 3rd floor ATM. This was one of the iron doors I couldn't figure out. I'll be here until I open it haha.

edit: and damn I'm so hyped for the dungeon editor and expansion dungeons.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
The default is a human and minotaur fighter, a female human (?) rogue and a human Mage.

Your new party sounds awesome. I can't wait to play through this again.

Marek

Banned
The videos make this look like an Elder Scrolls game, but you have a party?

How does that work? Do you swap between characters on the fly or something?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The videos make this look like an Elder Scrolls game, but you have a party?

How does that work? Do you swap between characters on the fly or something?

I'd also like to know.

My interest was piqued when I read "Minotaur" and "Lizard Man."

Marek

Banned
I'd also like to know.

My interest was piqued when I read "Minotaur" and "Lizard Man."

I keep forgetting you havent played KOTOR.

...Play that game. Youll beat it in 2 days, but those will be two epics days.

It would be tight is grimrock had a kotor-ish battle system for the party.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
It's much more like an old school dungeon crawl than Elder Scrolls. It reminds me of Ultima Underworld, but with tile based movement.

The Best thing about Grimrock is the tight puzzle design. All of the puzzles are logical and make you feel good when you figure them out. I had to break out some graph paper for some of them (I have Ultima 3 dungeons in there).

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I keep forgetting you havent played KOTOR.

...Play that game. Youll beat it in 2 days, but those will be two epics days.

It would be tight is grimrock had a kotor-ish battle system for the party.

You must be thinking of someone else. I bought KotOR the day it released. Im still waiting for a game to come out that uses that battle system or similar. I'm also still waiting for a game that uses the Vagrant Story battle system as well, you hear me Square?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
im on the 4th lvl now and am throughly enjoying the game, i didnt realize it was real time, but that allows for a little bit of moving strategy. top notch dungeon crawler if ive ever seen one :D

Marek

Banned
@Duf - Oh I must be mistaken.

Will someone explain the party system in grimrock por favor?

cannonball

15 Year Member
@Duf - Oh I must be mistaken.

Will someone explain the party system in grimrock por favor?

Your party, while you never see them, are in a 2x2 grid. A front row and back row. You have a UI in the bottom right that lets you drag the characters around into different spots in the 2x2 grid. Enemies can't attack a char behind another char. So, if your front line fighter is getting low on health, you can drag a back line character into their space to swap locations on the fly. Enemies can attack you from all 4 sides though, so you want to always be facing the enemy if possible with your fighter classes.

It works pretty well. Combat is definitely very hands on. You are constantly moving, swapping chars around, and clicking in rune combinations for spell casting. It's a lot of fun.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
So I'm starting the game over for the third time. My first party consisted of two fighters in the front (minotaur and human) and an insectoid mage (fire) and human rogue (assassin) in the back rank. I found that two fighters were redundant and wanted to try a rogue in the front and a second mage. Second attempt I tried a minotaur fighter and human rogue (assassin) in the front with two insectoid mages in the back (one ice, one air). My intent there was to try the invisibility (air mage) with the assassin rogue. Generally the party was fine, but spreading the mage loot between two mages was tough, and the ice mage ended up being the work horse as ice sphere training gives a lot of willpower and with it a huge mana pool to keep pumping out the frostbolts. The air mage would get tapped after only a couple casts and with two insectoids I couldn't carry very much.

My current playthrough I switched it up to a human fighter in the front. Human fighter in the front rank is superior to minotaur for a few reasons. You start with 3 more skill points which lets you take 2 points into Athletics giving you +2 vitality off the bat, and with more balanced stats you can max strength and then put the rest into dex and have a well rounded front rank fighter. My minotaur fighter would always have terrible evasion and accuracy and a human doesn't have those issues. I put another +2 dex from talents (since other training will increase strength but not dex). Second front rank character I went with a human rogue, max dex with +2 dex talent, the rest into strength. Trained up to 17 in dodge (for light armor use) and then all the way in daggers. Going with the chitin leather on that rogue. Back rank I went with an insectoid mage (ice/spellcraft). Max willpower, +2 willpower talent, 2 points into spellcraft to get another +1 willpower. Relatively even increases between ice and spellcraft. Huge mana pool with freeze and now the only mage in the party to maximize gear. The last back rank char is a minotaur rogue. Max strength with the rest in dex, head hunter talent, all skill points into maxing missiles. The only relevant stat on this character is strength since missile weapons don't use accuracy. Head hunter adds a ton of attack power, and I can keep the rogue in the lurker set for survivability without going into dodge. This new party is full of win - having an absolute blast on hard with this setup. I'm also making sure on this playthrough that each of the 4 characters hits every mob before it dies so that they all get experience. I didn't realize this on my first two attempts and was frequently blasting enemies apart with the two mages unloading their best spells, but my front rank characters (meat shields) who didn't hit got no exp.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
This game is on sale again via the Steam Summer Sale.

Started it today, got to level 4.

Level 3 really ramped up the difficulty I thought. Fuck those Spiders!

I love how minimalist and old school this is. Really damn fun, but the default party seems kind of lame. Or rather like it's not the most effective setup.

Right now I have my human and minotaur in front, my mage in back along with my Rogue. My rogue just well sits in the back using a spear and some throwing weapons. I feel like she is underutilized.

Last edited: