What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I feel that the AES was made for a great beatemup. Or a badass barbarian hack and slash. That would kick ass.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Still even a bootleg version the neo geo was denied good beatemups. To me it would have been the ultimate system.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Tell me about it....maybe if it was made in the 80s it would have had more. By the time the Neo came out Beat em ups where already on the ropes

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
By the time the Neo came out Beat em ups where already on the ropes

That's so untrue hahaha.

Granted, Final Fight set the bar, and SFII stole attention from every arcade genre, but beat 'em ups did not peak in anyway by 1990. Whether that's regarding mechanics, innovations, or popularity.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
1992-1994 had some really good beat em ups. I'd say most of the beat em ups I play regularly are from those years. The last year that had some decent ones was 1997. Battle Circuit comes to mind.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
That's so untrue hahaha.

Granted, Final Fight set the bar, and SFII stole attention from every arcade genre, but beat 'em ups did not peak in anyway by 1990. Whether that's regarding mechanics, innovations, or popularity.

How is it not true. The beat em up craze started peatering out toward early to mid 90s. Of course the best beat em ups of all time came out in the mid 90s but that doesnt change how financially viable they were at the time.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The beat em up craze started peatering out toward early to mid 90s.

Yes, that's true.

However, your original post stated "by the time the neo came out", implying that the craze had already petered out by 1990.

That's a big difference.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I've got Robo Army on the way from Japan. I'm looking forward to finally giving this one a play.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
forgot about that game. I can't remember if it was good or not.

It must have left such a low impression that when I think of Robo Army I think KOF 2000 strikers and not the actual game lol

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
playing aliens vs predator on mame at the moment. still one of my favourites. i got to say that linn kurosawa steals the show. the game just feels like any other beat em' up playing with any other character. slamming in them combos with linn is just soo satisfying. she could easily be ported to a fighter as a cammy like character. would of been cool if this had a saturn or dreamcast release.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Just played through Sengoku 3 over at Nitsunto's place last Wednesday. Final boss is designed to just devour your allowance.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
How is it not true. The beat em up craze started peatering out toward early to mid 90s. Of course the best beat em ups of all time came out in the mid 90s but that doesnt change how financially viable they were at the time.

I'm not sure how to measure the financial success of those games, but my guess would be the most successful in the genre in the US at least would have been the 4 player Konami games which were 89-93ish. So if that's the peak, the decline would be mid nineties and dead by late nineties.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
^ Yeah pretty much

damn bogard mentioning AvP makes we want to play it right now. Back when i was collection, that was one of my most wanted ports. I remember got super hyped when they announced the first movie....not so much for the movie but for the opportunity for Capcom to take advantage of the marketing hype behind the movie as an excuse to re release the game. Obviously that never happened and we are stuck with one of the greatest beat em ups being trapped in licensed arcade game limbo.

Thank goodness for MAME

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I played a credit of Legionnaire for the first time in a year.

Got to the middle of stage 4.