What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I didnt say SNK inhouse developed the great shmups. I meant the NeoGeo platform as a whole has some great shmups.

Oh well you should said that.

As for Konami I can't really think of any outside of Simpsons and X-Men which are both decent and the TMNT games which are generally great...yeah I definitely over stated it by calling it a curb stomp....I do still think these games I listed collectively beat out Sengoku 2 Sengoku 3 and Mutation Nation.

Uggh. I don't agree. Violent Storm, Metamorphic Force and Vendetta are where it's at for Konami. I don't think Konami's games in the genre should be mentioned in the same breath as Capcom's, but then again, what company's games can be?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
well it was implied since we were talking about the neogeo as a platform and not just snk as a developer....although technically SNK did sort of retroactively develop a lot of games with acquisitions and such.

for the beat em ups i didnt list those games because i have no recent experience with them...i might have played Violent Storm back in the day but that's about it. they look awesome though i kind of want to try them out on mame

but yeah i guess i got caught up with how great konami was at the arcades in general and didnt really think that beat em up through....i let the wave of Sunset Riders, TMNT, and their stellar shmup catalog get better of my judgement...

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Bucky O'Hare was pretty good. Batman Returns (SNES), Asterix looks pretty good.

Played Golden Axe the other day nice to rope someone into playing that. The sega Beat em ups are hard to get people interested in (except maybe Streets of Rage 2). Been looking for Altered Beast players with no luck of late.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
^ Bucky O'Hare was pretty good. Batman Returns (SNES), Asterix looks pretty good.

Played Golden Axe the other day nice to rope someone into playing that. The sega Beat em ups are hard to get people interested in (except maybe Streets of Rage 2). Been looking for Altered Beast players with no luck of late.

Altered Beast for is one of those games that even when it was new i sort of hated...at least the Genesis version....then again if I could get somebody to play it wih me I would gladly play it :lolz: Who did you get to play it with you if you dont mind me asking?

Golden Axe I do feel like going back to every once in a while but im always worried its gonna have aged horribly and i'll tarnish my great memories of them...kind of like Riot City....another Sega beat em up that was waaaay better in my memory lol

Streets of Rage games are still good obviously and still need to get around to playing ultimate Streets of Rage fan game from a few years ago.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Got out the old PGM and played some Gladiator and KoV:9D the last couple of days. Two awesome beat'em ups right there!

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
A guy I just friended on 360 a week ago who schools me on TMNT '89. He doesn't play the Sega ones nearly as much as I do though. dave950lam if that means anything.

I played Altered Beast in a Bowling Alley that my dad loved since it was the cheapest. They didn't have much in selection so I ended up playing it a lot. A similar reason to why I like playing Bad Dudes as well. Never really tried the Genesis version. I have a multi game disc for the Dreamcast that had it on there, but I tried the Golden Axe on there, Screamed "Oh fuck no!" and never tried to play it since.

If you're trying to play the 360 version of that stuff I'm always up for it.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I have a multi game disc for the Dreamcast that had it on there, but I tried the Golden Axe on there, Screamed "Oh fuck no!" and never tried to play it since.

Fucking Sega Smash Pack.

The only game worth playing on that disc is Virtua Cop 2.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Fucking Sega Smash Pack.

The only game worth playing on that disc is Virtua Cop 2.

Yeah I had that disc WTF Sega. I guess they were trying to make people remember the games were shittier than people remembered? It should have said all games have Atari sound. Cheap asses, I was kinda excited when I got it, until I heard the games.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Got out the old PGM and played some Gladiator and KoV:9D the last couple of days. Two awesome beat'em ups right there!

Gladiator is yummy.

My personal fave is Oriental Legend 2, on PGM2.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

If you have to "rope" people into playing these games, they're probably going to be nothing but a hindrance.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ The problem I think is he wasn't familiar playing it like TMNT '89. He had to buy the game in the 1st place so obviously he has some interest towards it. Considering I play with plenty of people online who actually are a hindrance. Who actually get me killed more times then not. This wasn't the case.

I did hear the Dreamcast version was a piece of shit compared to the Genesis version (at least sound wise). I just never cared to check otherwise. The worst part is I think I have Golden Axe for Genesis when I bought a Sega CDX years ago. I never bothered to get the AV cables for it so I barely want to play it. I think I tried Sega CD games more then anything. That and X-Men.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
A guy I just friended on 360 a week ago who schools me on TMNT '89. He doesn't play the Sega ones nearly as much as I do though. dave950lam if that means anything.

I played Altered Beast in a Bowling Alley that my dad loved since it was the cheapest. They didn't have much in selection so I ended up playing it a lot. A similar reason to why I like playing Bad Dudes as well. Never really tried the Genesis version. I have a multi game disc for the Dreamcast that had it on there, but I tried the Golden Axe on there, Screamed "Oh fuck no!" and never tried to play it since.

If you're trying to play the 360 version of that stuff I'm always up for it.

Oh wait a minute yeah I did play the Smash Pack version! I remember it sucked like hell and made me think it was a bad game. So that port is just bad then?

Also im PC PSN only at the moment

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Not 100% sure on it. Never bothered to confirm it. Probably should dig up the game and check.

I did pick up Streets of Rage 2, Altered Beast , and Golden Axe on PSN a little while ago. I also have D&D Chronicles. I do have steam, but only beat em ups I have there is Double Dragon Neon.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
The sound was fucked up on all of the Genesis games on that disc. They all played fine.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
So, a question for the PS3 owners. Do they have a Sega Vintage Classic versions for Golden Axe and Streets of Rage? The 360 still has them and made them backwards compatible, but I can't seem to find them anywhere on the Playstation Store (except the regular Golden Axe and Streets of Rage 2 versions). It seems odd that Sega would delete something like this since they own the rights and something similar is still up there.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
So, a question for the PS3 owners. Do they have a Sega Vintage Classic versions for Golden Axe and Streets of Rage? The 360 still has them and made them backwards compatible, but I can't seem to find them anywhere on the Playstation Store (except the regular Golden Axe and Streets of Rage 2 versions). It seems odd that Sega would delete something like this since they own the rights and something similar is still up there.

The PS3 often got the shaft with those releases.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
So a buddy and I get together get as drunk as possible and try and beat streets of rage 3. One of my favorite games on sega and of my younger years.
On a side note: I am hoping that company that is making krautbuster will produce a high quality beatemup for the AES. I would jump on that in a heart beat.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
good game. but it was my least favourite out of the three. the first two streets of rage games are some of the best in the genre imo.

geise

Mickey's Coach
I have to use earplugs on quite a bit of the stage music. The music in the first level and some other areas are pretty good. Overall the music was the biggest let down for me. I don't believe all the stage music was Yuzo Koshiro. SoR 2 is probably my favorite Genesis game and one of my favorite beat em ups on console. I had such high hopes for SoR 3.

Currently I've been playing Combatribes on pcb. Is such a fun co-op game.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
This is wrong to me. I think the soumd track gets better with each installment and gameplay is at its peak in 3. Even the difficulty is tolerable. By far my favorite genesis cart. Along with blades of vengeance.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Honestly I don't mind the Street of Rage soundtrack, but I mostly play 2&3. Been wanting to get a co op of 1 online one of these days.