What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh damn this shit is getting to real...

...I'm about to soft you all up...

PGM Gladiator...fucking awesome game...could be one of the best...ever! Crowd control at its finest! The Lost Thundercat is in there too!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Oh damn this shit is getting to real...

...I'm about to soft you all up...

C'mon... DZ's just takin' the goob for walkies. This kind of attention for a post 2013 is, if anything, rather affectionate.

Gladiator looks fabulous tho, thanks for the hint. My buddy Hasuki-san has the PolyGame gear and I was already deeply impressed by the usual suspects like Martial Masters & Demon Front. Lookin' forward to this one.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Check out the Knights of Valor series and to a lesser extent Oriental Legend, hopefully one of the updates like Super or Special.

As for Knights of Valor...any of them will do, they play like an extension of the CPS-1 Warriors of Fate romance saga...

Edit Note of utmost importance! Guess how's in the Gladiator? Our long lost Sengoku friend...look it up in the gameover screen and tell me that's not him!

Last edited:

the7k

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Do any of the Konami beat 'em ups have a proper freeplay that functions similarly to CPS1/2 freeplay in Beat 'em Ups? As much as I'd like to get a Konami beat 'em up for the events I go to, I've seen others bring games like TMNT and Simpsons and the way the games lack a proper freeplay and essentially have to be ghetto-rigged irks me. I was actually pretty damn close to picking up Metamorphic Force until I remember, "Oh Yeah, Konami. Don't want to deal with that." Even just a custom ROM I could put on the board to give it proper freeplay would be great.

Anyway, I just picked up a Hard Yardage cab which was converted from a Quartet which I'll hopefully soon enough be converting into a Battle Circuit. Battle Circuit is one of my favs, but I've never had the opportunity to play it 4-player.

Last edited:

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Early Konami beat 'em ups don't have free-play options, that's true.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Yeah the Konami beat em ups are annoying as fuck in the freeplay arcades. They ghetto rig the credits to constantly drop so you get unlimited lives. In theory it sounds ok, but when the casual gamer gets bored (and that happens a lot) they just leave the game. The game never resets because of the unlimited lives so the characters just sit wherever they left off.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
KoV and WoF have the same theme but play differently because of the extra items mechanic KoV has!
All 4 PGM games are great especialy if they are the latest updated version. Latest versions have more selectable characters, extra hidden paths and no bugs. Those are the best and latest official versions for someone to seek:
Knights of Valour Superheroes
Knights of Valour 2 Nine Dragons
Oriental Legend Super Special v205

Played C&D yesterday but didn't go well as expected with on credit. I will try again tonight.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah the Konami beat em ups are annoying as fuck in the freeplay arcades. They ghetto rig the credits to constantly drop so you get unlimited lives. In theory it sounds ok, but when the casual gamer gets bored (and that happens a lot) they just leave the game. The game never resets because of the unlimited lives so the characters just sit wherever they left off.

I've seen that from time to time. I think at Capcom Nickle City back in the day. Always wondered why that happened

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
So the other day I decided to play Super Double Dragon on my bootleg original Xbox. I always thought it was pretty cool, but the game speed killed it for me. It was too damn slow. Much to my surprise this version I was playing was sped up. Two things I'll say about it:

1. Holy shit this fucker is hard

2. Damn this is fun.

It makes makes me wonder if Tradewest fixed this shit would it be more sought after. This version I'm kinda sad I can't play with somebody.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It's not as bad as people say.

The Japan version is much easier.

Tradewest is just a publisher.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I used to own the SNES copy many years ago. Even with the slowdown it was still fun, though I believe more people would have enjoyed it if it wasn't so slow. I'm just surprised with the A.I.. That has to be the most merciless A.I. I remember seeing in a long time. They swat jump kicks out of the air. Any prolonged attacks get broken up, and they are always looking to surround no matter what.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Was just perusing and came across this. Looks like a bit of fun. Not much but maybe a bit.
Its about time a surge in quality arcade style games occurred

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I've been playing Comix Zone for the Genesis on and off over the past week. I'm improving, but this game is freaking hard. I love the art style and the music, and the character designs are pretty cool. There are multiple paths through each level by choosing different comic panels to enter. They are sort of risk/reward as you may get a power up going one way, but have to fight two enemies instead of one.

However, you get a small health bar, minimal health boosts and there are no continues. And even the weaker enemies require many hits to die. On top of that, you often have to punch or kick your way through something just to get to the next panel in the level, and that takes life away. It's a brutal challenge for sure. But as frustrating as it can get, I'm having a blast with it, so I keep coming back.

I don't know if I'll be able to beat it, but damnit, it's fun trying. The sad part is that when I was a kid, this was a weekend rental and my friend and I beat it. Apparently I was much better at beat em ups when I was 12.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Had the supergun disconnected for a while so the little one wouldn't mess with it. Finally got it out again and played some Metamorphic Force. I love the game and the soundtrack. I'm also lucky I picked the game up years ago, and with the sound caps already replaced. I still don't know if I'll ever be able to 1cc with the US version health countdown. It's not really a terribly difficult game, but that countdown adds a challenge.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I finally got myself a copy of Double Dragon II for PC Engine.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I have been playing Powered Gear yesterday on my control box! High quality gameplay with addictive battles and gear swaping is great. A not so difficult game.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I've been playing Comix Zone for the Genesis on and off over the past week. I'm improving, but this game is freaking hard. I love the art style and the music, and the character designs are pretty cool. There are multiple paths through each level by choosing different comic panels to enter. They are sort of risk/reward as you may get a power up going one way, but have to fight two enemies instead of one.

However, you get a small health bar, minimal health boosts and there are no continues. And even the weaker enemies require many hits to die. On top of that, you often have to punch or kick your way through something just to get to the next panel in the level, and that takes life away. It's a brutal challenge for sure. But as frustrating as it can get, I'm having a blast with it, so I keep coming back.

I don't know if I'll be able to beat it, but damnit, it's fun trying. The sad part is that when I was a kid, this was a weekend rental and my friend and I beat it. Apparently I was much better at beat em ups when I was 12.

There's definitely a lot of challenge to it, and I still haven't beaten it, yet, but like you said, it's fun trying. Using the pet mouse everywhere helps. It has it's strange moments, though, like the farting, but most of its style I like.

I finally got myself a copy of Double Dragon II for PC Engine.

Enjoyed the gameplay, but hated the looping soundtrack.

As for me, I'm going to give Sengoku another run-through once I'm done with Puzzle Bobble's campaign mode.

violentluke

New Challenger
Just got sengoku 1 in yesterday and trying to get into it but mis the character stiff to control. I like the idea of xhanging into other characters but there's only 3, the dog sucks so bad besides his spin attack which I have a hard time landing on anyone. I also got tired pretty quickly of the getting sucked up into the spirit realm if that's what it is. Also the chant drum beat when your up there got old real fast. Maybe I should just skip to sengoku 3

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Just got sengoku 1 in yesterday and trying to get into it but mis the character stiff to control. I like the idea of xhanging into other characters but there's only 3, the dog sucks so bad besides his spin attack which I have a hard time landing on anyone. I also got tired pretty quickly of the getting sucked up into the spirit realm if that's what it is. Also the chant drum beat when your up there got old real fast. Maybe I should just skip to sengoku 3

Maybe you should like, play it for more than, like 1 day.