What's your favourite platform for Shmups?

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Difficulty aside, the MD looks a tiny bit more faithful to the arcade too at least in effects, the first two larger enemies you encounter catch fire as they take damage before they eventually die and IMO the smart bomb looks better (though neither port has the same smart bomb as the arcade). The MD version is also a LOT more affordable then the PCE.

Metal Slug76

Cheng's Errand Boy
I would have to say being from the US we tend to get shafted when it comes to shooters on consoles. My favorite to ever hit US soil would have to be the TG16. With a converter you can play all of the PC Engine import titles that never came over seas as well.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
After setting up my RP3 earlier this year, it's been the TG16 and Genesis. The Genesis in particular is a beast with arcade type games.

In no order, and in my humble opinion, essential systems for playing shmups:

TG16
PS2 (which includes the PS1 library)
Genesis
Xbox 360

Thats about it. Thinking of a modding my 360 because I missed the train on some Muchi Muchi Pork, which is probably one my favorite Cave shmup (right up there with ESPGaluda 1 and Mushihimesama black label).

The Battle Garegga release for the PS4 is not to be missed. I liked the new "easy" modes. It seriously is a blueprint for how to breath new life into an old game without taking it apart completely.

Neural Tech

Banned
I could never choose. I love them all, but I suppose I have a soft spot for the 8 and 16 bit Eras, although River Raid and Phoenix on the 2600, are what got me into Shooters in the first place. From the 2600 all the way to Indie titles on todays current Gen consoles, they all tickle my funny bone.

Lately I've been jamming my collection of NES Shooters, on my N8, played on the retro USB AVS. Gun Smoke has been giving me fits: I couldn't get very far as a kid, and now I've made it all the way to the 6th stage, but died before making it to the Boss. I didn't lose a single life up until the 6th level, but then the shit hit the fan and I got my arse handed to me.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Not counting the PC which could run emulators, steam, etc, I would have to say the Saturn as a home console. The Saturn has both Hori and Vert Shtmups that are TopNotch. The Pc Engine has some awesome shtmups that I love like LOT, GOT, Soldier Series, but the Saturn Shtmups to me are just more appealing.

Blast Wind, Hyper Duel, Battle Garegga, Thunder Force Gold packs, Sengoku Blade are some of my favorites.

Radiant Silvergun, Batsugun, DoDonpachi, SOUKYUGURENTAI are just a few others that make the shtmup library on the Saturn so memorable.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Parodius Da! is all I own and I'm pretty happy with it. Need to check out some more.

Both Nemesis, (aka Gradius), and Gradius Interstellar Assault are very fun GB games. Mos def worth playing. Music is rad too, it's a little like Operation C, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's the same composer.

Edit: And it looks like it's not lol.

Last edited:
Genesis/Mega Drive
Turbo Grafx-16/PC Engine
Saturn
Dreamcast
PS2 (I will lump the PS1 titles since its backwards compatible)
Xbox 360

Soooo much good stuff on those systems IMHO but if I have to pick only one I have to choose PS2. Theres so many great retro compilations on PS2. Especially the ones from Taito, SNK, Capcom, Namco, etc. Masterpieces like Gradius V, Espgaluda, etc. Plus all the greats for PS1 like Gradius Gaiden, Sexy Parodius, Raiden DX, Dodonpachi, Zanac X Zanac, Einhander, R-Type Delta. A lot of people seem to put PC Engine and Saturn on the pedestal when it comes to that genre but to me PS2 is where its at.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
For me I am finding the Switch to be fantastic for shmups. Yeah it's a port machine but portable Tate shmups is hard to pass up

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
For me I am finding the Switch to be fantastic for shmups. Yeah it's a port machine but portable Tate shmups is hard to pass up

i would agree if it werent for the switch's unusable "d-pad" and unreliable analogue sticks. i refuse to buy one until those issues are completely fixed

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member

The Psikyo collections on switch were pretty nice.

But Saturn has most of my favourites.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi

Notably, the switch versions of psikyo games are arcade perfect, unlike the saturn ports.

My favorite console for shmups, the psikyo 1st generation system, with sengoku blade :tickled:
Q0LOnmm.jpg

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

Saturn does have some fantastic games.

The Darius Collection on Switch is killer though, Darius Gaiden on the go is always a plus.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Could you elaborate which psikyo ports on the saturn are imperfect and why?

As far as i know, all psikyo games on saturn have slightly different color palettes, and sound. For example, in sengoku blade, the whole game has a somewhat cooler tone, or blueish tint, also the voice samples seem very different, and a few sound effects on enemies could be missing, and the explosions have less frames of animation.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
As far as i know, all psikyo games on saturn have slightly different color palettes, and sound. For example, in sengoku blade, the whole game has a somewhat cooler tone, or blueish tint, also the voice samples seem very different, and a few sound effects on enemies could be missing, and the explosions have less frames of animation.

hmmm, so you don't have any concrete evidence.