What's your favourite platform for Shmups?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
What do you want me to do, post videos? Why don’t you try playing the games yourself?

He has. He's asking for pictures/video/ real world comparisons. You are being very vague and "from what I've seen" you do massive amounts of drugs, pretty sure your perception is a little skewered.

And for the record, the psikyo collections on switch have input lag. This was confirmed by me with joy cons/pro controllers and wired controllers.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
What do you want me to do, post videos? Why don’t you try playing the games yourself?

Maybe I gave you too much credit.

I assumed you may have known what you were talking about and I wanted to learn something new. Sorry!

When it comes to arcade ports, from what I understand, the only criteria that's crucial in achieving "arcade perfect" status is based on mechanics, speed, difficulty level and AI behavior mirroring the arcade game. Not color palette, sound etc.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
He has. He's asking for pictures/video/ real world comparisons. You are being very vague and "from what I've seen" you do massive amounts of drugs, pretty sure your perception is a little skewered.

And for the record, the psikyo collections on switch have input lag. This was confirmed by me with joy cons/pro controllers and wired controllers.

Well that’s a bummer. Glad I didn’t waste my money.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi

of course a game isnt arcade perfect if the colors and sound and animations are slightly different. You could say the saturn is “almost perfect”

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
of course a game isnt arcade perfect if the colors and sound and animations are slightly different. You could say the saturn is “almost perfect”

I’ve always had the same viewpoint as ASID said, to me arcade perfect is arcade perfect gameplay. Many/most ports get arranged soundtracks etc so I’ve never thought of the music or color palette being a consideration. Unless it had some sort of effect on the gameplay, like making bullets harder to see or something.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
PS2 for ESPGaluda, some other ports, and some choice PS1 games.

That's about all I need.

The 360 is on it's way to classic status with Mushihimesama Futari, Death Smiles, Ketsui, not to mention Ikaruga and RSG.

I still hold this opinion nearly 9 years later but I would include the PC Engine and PCE CD.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
that looks so comfortable

I don't know, they were never taken out of the plastic.

But I can tell you that I miss one Ex's boobs. They looked like Segoku Blade Miko's

good ol' days.PNG

Oooooh good ol' dayz. That was the shmup!! :D

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I don't know, they were never taken out of the plastic.

But I can tell you that I miss one Ex's boobs. They looked like Segoku Blade Miko's

View attachment 56011

Oooooh good ol' dayz. That was the shmup!! :D

mah-nigga.jpg

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
When it comes to arcade ports, from what I understand, the only criteria that's crucial in achieving "arcade perfect" status is based on mechanics, speed, difficulty level and AI behavior mirroring the arcade game. Not color palette, sound etc.

I’ve always had the same viewpoint as ASID said, to me arcade perfect is arcade perfect gameplay. Many/most ports get arranged soundtracks etc so I’ve never thought of the music or color palette being a consideration. Unless it had some sort of effect on the gameplay, like making bullets harder to see or something.

+1 on both points. “Arcade perfect” always boiled down to replicated gameplay mechanics, timing, framerate, AI routines and of course generally anything that had an impact on scoring and attempted arcade-play replication imho.

It’s why the dreamcast release of Street Fighter 3: Third Strike came up short among enthusiasts due to Capcom choosing to fix certain glitches and adjust move properties. Although it was a great port, the changed move properties meant that the game was not “arcade perfect” since the combos from the cps3 original could no longer be performed in the “improved” home release.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I also agree, with one addition, though: Arcade games often undergo several revisions, some may imply sensible changes. If a port is based on one revision, players used to an earlier/later version can still feel it's not "arcade perfect". Also, couldn't a port be regarded as just another revision? Maybe arcade perfection is best expressed in levels, with the highest being the Neo ;).

I remember an interview with M2 about their PS2 port of Space Harrier. Some players complained that they can't go as far with their avatar as they were used to in the arcade cabinet. After a thorough research, the M2 team found out, that due to extensive use, the sticks of the cabinet became loose, hence allowed those players to reach beyond the range set by the designers.

Shmuppy

Banned
Best shmupping consoles IMO are PCE(CD), MD, Saturn, DC and the 360 for its excellent Cave ports. Favourite platform? JAMMA PCBs the real Masta Race:) Since the Neo is not well known for shmups I have to give props b/c of Pulstar (no discussion needed) and ASOII which I find is a very original/unique SNK game with next to nothing "borrowed" from other shooters with an outstanding OST showing off how rich the YM2610 can sound.

Last edited:

Shmuppy

Banned
Most Video System shmups are so short which is a shame. Gunbird2 with double the amount of stages would have been wonderful. My fav V-System shmup is Rabbit Punch/Rabio Lepus from 1987. Nobody knows about this hidden gem with really really good graphics and art design. Probably the first cute 'em up ever.

Last edited: