161-in-1 Game Breakdown

Ah thanks for clearing that up , would there even be a tiny bit of slowdown on a genuine mvs cart of metal slug ?

One more question when I select a game I get a green screen with a code on it before the game boots up is that normal ?

Ray

New Challenger
Ah thanks for clearing that up , would there even be a tiny bit of slowdown on a genuine mvs cart of metal slug ?
The original cart is pretty much the same, and this is also true for all the other Metal Slug games on multicarts. Some of the multicarts seem to have sound issues like random instruments being louder than they should be, but I haven't had this problem with the Slugs on the 161-in-1 yet.

To my knowledge the only legit games which have serious issues on the 161-in-1 are Garou MotW(unfinished beta version) and Aero Fighters 3.(unplayable) There are some reports of botched sounds on other games like Samurai Shodown II but nothing quite as bad.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor

One more question when I select a game I get a green screen with a code on it before the game boots up is that normal ?

Yeah thats normal (the green) My six slot MVS would take longer on that screen if I kept other carts in the slots while the 161 was in.
I think the delay has to due with the amount of power the 161-1 draws. Now I don't even use my 161 unless a friend wants to play a game I don't have.

Hey, long long time lurker here. I've been looking into purchasing a neo motherboard for a few years now since i've seen mvs carts for some of my favourite games for as low as $50.

A few days ago I finally saw a deal on a mv1c and purchased that along with the 161-in-1 to use while I slowly build my legit cart collection.

Yesterday I read through the thread and I thought the 138-in-1 was interesting (from what I understand it connects between the cabinet and mvs board?)

That brings up a couple of questions:

I know jamma and multi slot MVS has a slightly different pinout (test switch, audio...) while the single slots use the jamma pinout exactly

so if the 138 in 1 attaches between the arcade machine and board. shouldn't it only work for 1slot or multislot? Which is it? or does it have the capabiity to determine which motherboard you are using and divert the signals accordingly?

and what exactly is the 138 in 1 doing? is it actually accessing the motherboard? if so, how is it able to do that without being in the game slot? The only inputs on the pinout are buttons, doesn't make sense that the 138 in 1 would be able to do things like access memory through it unless i'm misunderstanding where it plugs in.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The 138 in 1 should work with the 1 slots without issue. The way it works, interface board that connects to the JAMMA edge does a few things:-
1) It reads inputs from controllers.
2) It overlays its own video interface over the video output signals and inhibits the MVS from booting the cart (as far as I understand). I've never seen a menu as a P ROM on the 138 in 1, so I think its is embedded on the interface board.

Once you select the game, it then sets the address decoding on the cart in order to select the ROMs for the game you selected. That process takes nano seconds. The interface then puts up a stupid loading bar and makes you wait whilst it 'loads' when actually its already loaded... Then I believe it resets the system and detaches itself from the video overlay it used for the menu. I suspect it still monitors inputs so you can get back to the menu, but that's speculation on my part as I've never tested it that way.

EDIT: You are best off doing the DIP switch mod imo. If you consolize the MVS its a must.

Oh, so the 138 in 1 is actually 2 parts? a cart *and* a subboard used mainly for the menu. That makes much more sense.,

sTo0z

n00b
where can you get these nowadays?

I ordered one from here: http://www.aliexpress.com/
Direct link: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SNK-neo-geo-mvs-161-in-1-JAMMA-multi-game-Cartridge/453807027.html

It seems to have shipped quickly but I think it's coming from China and the tracking info seems to have cut off.. :P I'm assuming that means it's, you know, traversing the world, and will get a new tracking number when it arrives somewhere. Seemed like a safe bet and the particular section/seller had positive reviews?

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I ordered one from here: http://www.aliexpress.com/
Direct link: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SNK-neo-geo-mvs-161-in-1-JAMMA-multi-game-Cartridge/453807027.html

It seems to have shipped quickly but I think it's coming from China and the tracking info seems to have cut off.. :P I'm assuming that means it's, you know, traversing the world, and will get a new tracking number when it arrives somewhere. Seemed like a safe bet and the particular section/seller had positive reviews?
Yeah, that is the cheapest reliable seller for the 161.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I purchased mine from hollandcomputers.com also. Best price for a U.S. Based seller at the time and the shipping was really quick. If ur impatient like I am they're reliable and the cart works, no problems with the fit like some others have described.

my 161 in 1 and mv1c arrived. Ill be testing it later today or tomorrow. a neo geo MVS is much smaller than I expected. Which is good for when i bring it to events

I only tried booting up 3 games so far.

Aero fighters 2. (sound seems off somehow, as if there's no bass or some audio is missing?)

Nightmare in the dark
But it said "WARNING
THIS ROM CARTRIDGE IS FOR USE WITH ORIGINAL SNK BOARDS ONLY. COPYING OF SNK BOARDS IS PROHIBITED AND MAY RESULT IN SEVERE CIVIL AND CRIMINAL PENALTIES AND WILL BE PROSECUTED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT OF THE LAW"

So I tried Nightmare SP. Nightmare SP seems to work (I figured it would since it's a bootleg rom)

On that note, does anyone know the difference between Nightmare and Nightmare SP? If its just the language from english to spanish than I can live with not having the original.

Also, Mv1c pinout is jamma right? no differences at all? (unlike the multi slots which I know have slight differences) So my audio problems aren't caused by that right?

Last edited:
Very cool. Thanks! Although For now I can live with aero fighters' sound being just a bit wonky. If I go through some of my other games and find the sound is wonky too I'll try adding those caps.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
interested, but only two fatal fury games and no shock troopers 1?.can't get my mind around why they would miss out main tittles but add tons of shitty boots.but now that i found out that a lot of the games have a hard time running,specially MOTW,put me on the fence for this one. i might still give it a shot because of the low price tag.

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,
Really appreciated all the great info in here.

I've made for myself a spreadsheet breaking down which games on the 161-in-1 are dupes, and allowing me to sort by genre and alphabetical as well as the (seemingly completely random) numbered order in the cart menu.

For your enjoyment!: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12AnbOFRVANUqaF7Xya9s23L-neMrC_buc9AMj4CsB1E/edit?usp=sharing

There are two sheets that are formatted for printing, alpha and by genre. They filter out all duplicates and have my favorites highlights. I've printed them out on a two sided sheet that's kept near the cab. Definitely helps find shit and scan for what I feel like playing!

Feel free to copy and edit as you like of course!

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
@tenfresh thanks a bunch for the list you made. This is amazing timing for me as I just received the multi-cart yesterday. With this list, its going to make my selections a lot easier tonight. :)

Last edited:

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,
@tenfresh thanks a bunch for the list you made. This is amazing timing for me as I just received the multi-cart yesterday. With this list, its going to make my selections a lot easier tonight. :)

Awesome! Glad someone is getting some use from it! I know I've spend stupid amounts of time hunting around that menu. Note too that with that card you can hold P1 start for 5 seconds and it'll return to the menu.

Really appreciated all the great info in here.

I've made for myself a spreadsheet breaking down which games on the 161-in-1 are dupes, and allowing me to sort by genre and alphabetical as well as the (seemingly completely random) numbered order in the cart menu.

For your enjoyment!: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12AnbOFRVANUqaF7Xya9s23L-neMrC_buc9AMj4CsB1E/edit?usp=sharing

There are two sheets that are formatted for printing, alpha and by genre. They filter out all duplicates and have my favorites highlights. I've printed them out on a two sided sheet that's kept near the cab. Definitely helps find shit and scan for what I feel like playing!

Feel free to copy and edit as you like of course!

Hey man, first post here. And today's my birthday, so I'm treating myself to an Omega Entertainment Machine (my first Neo Geo system!) and a 161-in-1 cart, so this is really handy for me. Appreciate the work. Are folks still happy with Holland Computers for their multi-cart purchase? Any other suggestions? I saw Excellentcom.net mentioned in another thread, so just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Shiner