New neogeo game aes ?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Wouldn't it be funny if they were actually selling those for 399 Euros apiece also? XD

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
Since I got my cart, I feel unhappy when it's compared with NG:dev Last Hope AES cart :(

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
LOL, NCI installed some MVS cart stickers upside down.

Just curious, anyone here ever seen or gotten an English Neo Drift Out MVS cartridge with the sticker NOT upside down?
Every single one that I have ever seen or that has come through my hands was with the label upside down at the factory.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just curious, anyone here ever seen or gotten an English Neo Drift Out MVS cartridge with the sticker NOT upside down?
Every single one that I have ever seen or that has come through my hands was with the label upside down at the factory.

I've personally owned more than 4 copies and none of them were upside down.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
My English Neo Drift Up label is right side up too.

Anyone find out the TOC NGH number yet? Anyone with a Unibios should be able to definitively tell us if the number is on the cart. I'm starting to doubt it's there, based on the interview about how much original game code was used.

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
My English Neo Drift Up label is right side up too.

Anyone find out the TOC NGH number yet? Anyone with a Unibios should be able to definitively tell us if the number is on the cart. I'm starting to doubt it's there, based on the interview about how much original game code was used.

AFAIK the game does not use original code at all. Neither any other assets of the original proto. There is no reason to use original code to begin with. It's a lot easier creating it from scratch. The NGH code can be chosen randomly, maybe they used the original NGH code or not. Doesn't matter anyway as it's a homebrew (as stated on their homepage) game which was loosely modeled after a lost proto.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
AFAIK the game does not use original code at all. Neither any other assets of the original proto. There is no reason to use original code to begin with. It's a lot easier creating it from scratch. The NGH code can be chosen randomly, maybe they used the original NGH code or not. Doesn't matter anyway as it's a homebrew (as stated on their homepage) game which was loosely modeled after a lost proto.
You're right. Billy has a good side-by-side comparison on his site now. Looks like basically everything is changed. What a shame.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
You're right. Billy has a good side-by-side comparison on his site now. Looks like basically everything is changed. What a shame.

I had not reported on this when I found it because it did not make me happy. But now that it has been brought up by someone else, I might as well bring it forward. In my original report on the game, I mentioned here how the DEBUG BIOS was "blocked" and/or simply not accessible. However, when I finally tested it out with the UNI BIOS, here is what I found:

The splash boot up screen has a corrupted / garbled NEO-GEO logo on screen. And the product number comes up as 48. Aicom's MVS exclusive Mahjong game. Perhaps part of its program was used as a foundation for the building of this game, or perhaps as was just mentioned earlier, it was simply chosen at random. NOTE: Recall that Diggerman comes up with 66 (Fighter's History Dynamite) so this may have been a similar scenario.

I will not lie. I have been, and am still not happy about this games "homebrew" status. However, it is what it is. Maybe, perhaps someday, we can verify some kind of connection with number 72 and the partial rom file build that N.C.I. received of the game. Even if just in some documentation per say. But alas, until then, I will continue to keep the number "reserved" for this game in that position, as it had been speculated to be for several years prior to this games discovery, but it will NOT be solidified and "confirmed" on my page and/or the master list until further information is provided by N.C.I. or perhaps a future discovery.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I was thinking that for a product aimed at this high-end market, they should be more aware of how discerning the consumers are. They ought to make sure that the correct NGH number is used. They ought to make sure there is full Unibios compatibility. They ought to make every effort to make the finished product as close to those prototype materials we have available as possible. But they didn't, and for that reason I feel they are asking too much money.

I read the interview with the developers from Le Cortex and I was under the impression that perhaps these guys know their shit about Neo Geo, but perhaps not. Maybe they just don't care.

I can only hope that they will take their experience from this project and use it to improve the next game. They should read the feedback they're getting, not just on the official site but on sites like this one. Learn from their mistakes and fix it if they plan to keep the customers coming back. I sure hope they make more releases like this, but I hope they improve too.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
My guess is that they converted 72 decimal to hex, resulting in 0x48. They plugged 48 into the game ID in the header not knowing that they should have stored the number in BCD format (0x72 hex) as the game ID.

There is sooooo much that is technically wrong with this game...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
well people demanded a release, so things get rushed. The game itself is not that bad, but the music does wear on you. I'm not sure how they have such a high meg count.

Either way, this will make most people hesitant to go with another NCI title.

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
My guess is that they converted 72 decimal to hex, resulting in 0x48. They plugged 48 into the game ID in the header not knowing that they should have stored the number in BCD format (0x72 hex) as the game ID.

There is sooooo much that is technically wrong with this game...

^ hah, Jeff has a quick eye.
That's sounds indeed very likely.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Well, one contributor to the high meg count is the fact that the 'NEO-GEO' eye-catch logo is not the standard BIOS routine. It looks as if they used MAME to capture each frame of the animation, stored the data as sprites, and then wrote their own routine to animate this routine, etc.

If they went that route, I would then guess that each image in the opening sequence has multiple sprites resized and stored in rom rather than using the zoom feature of the hardware to build the video sequence.

Jeff

well people demanded a release, so things get rushed. The game itself is not that bad, but the music does wear on you. I'm not sure how they have such a high meg count.

Either way, this will make most people hesitant to go with another NCI title.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Well, one contributor to the high meg count is the fact that the 'NEO-GEO' eye-catch logo is not the standard BIOS routine. It looks as if they used MAME to capture each frame of the animation, stored the data as sprites, and then wrote their own routine to animate this routine, etc.

If they went that route, I would then guess that each image in the opening sequence has multiple sprites resized and stored in rom rather than using the zoom feature of the hardware to build the video sequence.

Jeff

in other words: just a step higher than newbie programming

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I just assumed the intro was basically FMV.

I would call it laziness. Rather than using the hardware the way it was designed they'd rather force it to operare more like the Nintendo DS that they're used to. This isn't exactly faithful to the Neo community.

Edit: Perhaps "laziness" isn't fair to the programmers either because they were given a very difficult task and managed to finish it apparently in a month.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Like I said before, there isn't anything "Neo Geo" about this game. Graphics, sound, gameplay and programming.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I had not reported on this when I found it because it did not make me happy. But now that it has been brought up by someone else, I might as well bring it forward. In my original report on the game, I mentioned here how the DEBUG BIOS was "blocked" and/or simply not accessible. However, when I finally tested it out with the UNI BIOS, here is what I found:

The splash boot up screen has a corrupted / garbled NEO-GEO logo on screen. And the product number comes up as 48. Aicom's MVS exclusive Mahjong game. Perhaps part of its program was used as a foundation for the building of this game, or perhaps as was just mentioned earlier, it was simply chosen at random. NOTE: Recall that Diggerman comes up with 66 (Fighter's History Dynamite) so this may have been a similar scenario.

I will not lie. I have been, and am still not happy about this games "homebrew" status. However, it is what it is. Maybe, perhaps someday, we can verify some kind of connection with number 72 and the partial rom file build that N.C.I. received of the game. Even if just in some documentation per say. But alas, until then, I will continue to keep the number "reserved" for this game in that position, as it had been speculated to be for several years prior to this games discovery, but it will NOT be solidified and "confirmed" on my page and/or the master list until further information is provided by N.C.I. or perhaps a future discovery.

72 decimal is 48 hex. I think that sums it all up.

Ohh I see jeff has already point it out.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I have actually finally seen this game (treasure of the caribbean) after I was loaned the cart.

I don't really know what to say apart from if I paid for this I would feel quite hard done by. I just hope that one day the original build of the game that this ....... (hack, homebrew, CD conversion) is based on will someday surface as I suspect there was alot in there NCI just did not understand to convert right. Probably much is lost in their release.

It would probably would have been better for them to have removed that attempt to copy the NeoGeo jungle screen with there own code and instead have a warning about the game not being completed and leaving it in its original state.

Last edited:

grimeka

NEST Puppet
NCI facebook:

Hello Again,

We are also glad to inform you that we bought two more VISCO LICENSE, one for neo geo cd and other release for neo geo cartridge.
Thanks to VISCO about this.

Have a nice week end.
NCI Staff

"New" game for our AES??? open bets...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I imagine they will just be releasing an MVS only Visco title on AES...
Which would probably sell due to it being licensed...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Gay, seriously. Nobody wants Bang Bead. BBB was a decent game, ToTC was shit and now Bang Bead. They better not be bullshitting that they have other protos after they string people along with shitty games.