Do you find yourself playing shmups more often then any other Genre these days?

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
Hey Guys

as the topic goes. I find myself more and more involved with shmups then any other genre in my video game collections. I tried to play some kof 2001 on the aes today only to find myself switching it off and putting some Gigawing on the dreamcast, Is it just me or is everyone else getting bored with the other Genre types of video games?

Darkneo.

agustusx

Marked Wolf
yeah I've been like that for a few years now. I do have phases that last a few months where I don't play shmups at all and play other genres I missed out on. Eventually the urge to shoot returns and I end up not playing non-shmups I just bought.

I just bought ME2 and Dante's Inferno but I really haven't had the drive to turn them on again.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
For me, it's a lack of time thing- not a boredom thing. I still enjoy other genres; STGs are the easiest for me to pop in and out of when a)not playing for score or 1cc and b) only have 15 mins or so to play. Racing is my other go to genre these busy days. . .a time attack of a course, or run through on OutRun 2 is a nice, brief diversion.

Arcade style games suit my life better now than anything else. Unfortunately most arcade genres are extinct now, but STGs are still going strong and there are many that I never got to play anyways. I used to enjoy fighters too but for some reason I got done with them.

I work from home and like to keep one of my cabs on during the day, as they are right outside my office. It's a nice break to grab a quick credit or two, and much more rewarding than trolling a website or something.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
When all is said and done STG keep you coming back. :buttrock:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I do play more shumps more often these days.....maybe because of the stress from my current job?

Anyway, I used to hate bullet-rain type shumps and thought those are stupid. I bought lots shumps in the past but rarely play them. Starting last month I was playing Dodonpachi DJ on PS2 and I was like "damn.........it's a cool game" and now I'm totally addicted.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Yeah it's a time thing for me as well. I mostly just play arcade type games, or PC games where I can hop on and play for 20 mins at a time.

STGs, quake, StarCraft 2, etc.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I really enjoy STG's more and more these days. It is an instant gratification type of game. I still go between those and Fighters/FPS's.

GAMEFAN

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
Yes. I used to spend most of my time gaming with fighters.

I used too myself. started playing SF2 back when i was 15 in the 80's in the Arcades when there used to be heaps where i used to live. now the place is ghost town:crying:
I only really gotten into the shooters this year after 21 years of playing fighters and Rpg's. I kinda feel like Shooters don't take that much of your time compare too playing a platform or rpg. but i kinda agree with the work thing, trying to fit time in too play games while a person has got a responsibility to his or her family.

I go through phases in the amount of time I spend on shooters depending on how much the rest of gaming sucks at the time. So yes, I've been playing them a lot lately... :p

Makes the "short gaem is short, 6/10" reviews all the more infuriating when I inevitably quit halfway through the latest five hour long big budget "epic" out of boredom, but can easily spend a week or three plugging away at something from the Reagan era.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
With Halo: Reach available, I found myself playing Final Soldier, Soldier Blade and Super Star Soldier instead on the PC Engine during my free time this week. On the cabs it's been Ibara nonstop. I'll still put time in on the MVU during the weekend, but even then I'm putting time into Last Resort.

STGs give me a gaming fix when I need it and allow me to put it down so I can go back to work.

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
yes for all the afore mentioned reasons. i ve always favored shooties based solely on their presentation. that mix of visceral gameplay and handrawn goodness is what made me buy my first one back when i was a youngster....

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I play shmups often, but not more often than other genres.

I rotate the genre of games I play on a regular basis. This way I won't get worn down like some of my friends have experienced after playing years of almost nothing except for FPS.

Mathius

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yep, same here. Just this week I played Blazing Lazers, Super Star Soldier, Spriggan, Thunder Force III, and Raiden. Plus, I have a "discolored" copy of Sapphire coming! I can't wait!

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I find myself playing them much more often but, I also have less time these days to hang out with my friends what with work, family etc. I think that adds a lot to it, because when I was younger and had people over all the time, it was just fighters that got the play time, and they still do when people are over.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I actually got kinda burned out on shmups for awhile and have really only been playing wii and ds lately

But i'll get off my butt soon enough and start playing again...afterall I gotta prep for DDP DFK :)

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I've been playing them alot for the simple reason that I can turn on a machine, be playing in 15 seconds and play quit a few levels/rounds in a half hour and turn down. When i get home, I have to cook and then from there, I usually like to just lounge for a bit so anything quick to play is great for me.

Plus, they have great challenge, especially the Cave games. Right now I only have Progear & Esp Ra.De, I've love to have a few more but my god, that price just keeps me away (like so many other people).

christoph

Hardened Shock Trooper
I agree completely, I have been playing nothing but shmups for a while now. I can't seem to get hooked on anything else!

Finally snagged a copy of R-Type for TG16, trying to beat that.

Also waiting on my copy of RECCA for NES. Can't wait for that either.

Blazing Star

New Challenger
Yeah, i play shooters probably 95% of the time....
Might have a few credits on Last Blade every now and again but thats about it!!!
The satisfaction of beating a boss that you been trying to beat for ages cannot be matched by any other genre of video game imo!!! :mr_t:

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
I go through phases. Was playing shmups like crazy earlier in the year. Been on a run and gun trend lately.

anji2128

n00b
I've been playing STGs when I'm just playing by myself and nothing but Fighting/Puzzle/Rock Band when hanging out with other people.
I've had the new Castlevania since Day 1 and haven't been driven to finish the game yet, so I pop in Raiden or a Cave game in instead.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
For me, it's a lack of time thing- not a boredom thing.
Same, with the addition of a kid I'm lucky to have 30 minutes to game. He's usually sitting there tugging at my pants leg while I try. Shmups and beat-em-ups are about the only genres I can enjoy with quick sessions.

I almost only play SHMUPS. Most games these days seem too easy, and 'harder' games are either tedious to play or simply unfair. SHMUPs, even at intense moments, never get monotonous, there are no puzzles to get stuck on, and the satisfaction you feel from making it through a level without getting grazed by a bullet is unparalleled.