Neo-geo.com Official WTF NEO Auction Thread

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Noir, is that you? A boot never worth that much......
Dont fuck up your reputation as neo community is very small......

Greg was right, you have to watch out for teh noirs.

#madman4mod2017

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neo-Geo-A...915790?hash=item466200940e:g:PN4AAOSw4DJYkJjD

Apparently it is MINT. Oh, and they are stock photos as well! Where do people get these prices.

Ebay prices for AES consoles seem to be all over the place, despite no clearly distinguishing features between one listing or another. I suppose many sellers just heard about this Neo craze thing and randomly decided to cash in, testing the waters with crazy prices in hopes of snagging a whale.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Collectors, they'll go that extra mile to confuse people with their habits.

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
maybe people are doing it for that extra intense kick....since the seller is from Spain...

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Crazy that homebrew stuff sells for this much. It's nice, but it's not SNK.

When NG DEV first appeared on the scene, I was afraid it would just be overpriced Amiga games from Europe on the Neo. And Last Hope did kind of resemble that idea.

But they have learned a lot since then as they have improved, and I think a certain something comes with being the last developer making games for the system with actual carts and snap cases etc. - the very things that collectors drool over, especially when the item is scarce.

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
When NG DEV first appeared on the scene, I was afraid it would just be overpriced Amiga games from Europe on the Neo. And Last Hope did kind of resemble that idea.

But they have learned a lot since then as they have improved, and I think a certain something comes with being the last developer making games for the system with actual carts and snap cases etc. - the very things that collectors drool over, especially when the item is scarce.

Would be nice to see them do more runs to keep supply more in line with demand, though presumably they don't because it's added risk for them if people don't buy.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Would be nice to see them do more runs to keep supply more in line with demand, though presumably they don't because it's added risk for them if people don't buy.

Under supplying the market is also a classic marketing move taken out of Nintendo's own play book. If they produce enough copies for everyone to have, it loses its scarcity that makes them so desirable currently.

This justifies the high price tag to the consumer as well. It's priced as a premium good (vs. a $9.99 steam download), but also reduces the risk to the early adopter who can likely sell it on the second hand market for the same (or in most cases more) as what they bought it for.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Under supplying the market is also a classic marketing move taken out of Nintendo's own play book. If they produce enough copies for everyone to have, it loses its scarcity that makes them so desirable currently.

This justifies the high price tag to the consumer as well. It's priced as a premium good (vs. a $9.99 steam download), but also reduces the risk to the early adopter who can likely sell it on the second hand market for the same (or in most cases more) as what they bought it for.

Its not even just the money, seems like its alot of work buying one of these NeoDev games. In addition to paying hundreds of dollars, you also have to a pay months and months in advance before getting the game.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Its not even just the money, seems like its alot of work buying one of these NeoDev games. In addition to paying hundreds of dollars, you also have to a pay months and months in advance before getting the game.

Yeah, paying months in advance takes a ton of work. It's exhausting.

Double Reppuken

NGFL Member., xROTx,
Yeah if only NGDev could come out with something as good as 3 Count Bout or Riding Hero.

I'm not talking about the quality of the games. I'm talking about authentic SNK release vs. homebrew.

Also, from what I've read, these games don't even run on the Neo's processor, they just use the console as AV out. If that's true, that's lame and makes them of even less value in my eyes.

Double Reppuken

NGFL Member., xROTx,
This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read here in years.

Oh well that settles it then. My bad. :rolleyes:

But take a look at the hardware:

http://www.mvs-scans.com/images/2/22/Gun_lord_unofficial1_b2_front.jpg

That's an impressive amount of processing power.

The NXP chip is a modern 32-bit microcontroller...not to mention the supporting chips: a Xilinx Spartan FPGA, and a Xilinx CPLD.

If you think that these chips aren't being used to run the game (or at least do some serious heavy lifting to help out) you're delusional.

Look at a typical MVS cart: it's just a couple of ROMs:

http://www.mvs-scans.com/images/d/d0/Aero_fighters_3_set1_b1_front.jpg

I've been reading your posts madman. With all due respect, you come off as a bitter loser with nothing better to do than antagonize people.

I just prefer real SNK games, that run on the original hardware. It's just a preference, nothing more. Certainly not something I'm going to get in some silly pissing contest on the internet over.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
It's my understanding that the microprocessors inside the NG Dev carts handle data decompression, decryption and multiplexing. They also double as an anti-piracy mechanism.

Many of the NG Dev games do stream some pre-rendered animations for backgrounds and special effects, but SNK devs did the same things with games like Viewpoint, Pulstar and Prehistoric Isle 2.

Sure, it's possible that one of the NG Dev cart processors is doing some level of game logic processing or graphics rendering like Nintendo did with the various SNES enhancement chips. But the Neo Geo's procs are still doing plenty of heavy lifting-its hardly a dumb terminal.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
It's my understanding that the microprocessors inside the NG Dev carts handle data decompression, decryption and multiplexing. They also double as an anti-piracy mechanism.

Many of the NG Dev games do stream some pre-rendered animations for backgrounds and special effects, but SNK devs did the same things with games like Viewpoint, Pulstar and Prehistoric Isle 2.

Sure, it's possible that one of the NG Dev cart processors is doing some level of game logic processing or graphics rendering like Nintendo did with the various SNES enhancement chips. But the Neo Geo's procs are still doing plenty of heavy lifting-its hardly a dumb terminal.

This. Also if the carts are simply using the Neo as an A/V output (he has yet to link to what he's read that claims this), how does he explain the bootleg copies of Last Hope made using original SNK boards? But hey, that's probably just me antagonizing people again by asking them to back up their claims with facts.

Also if we look at the NXP chip, based on the datasheet I'd guess it's mostly handling the USB/external programmer side of the house and not doing any sort of heavy lifting.

Edit: https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=NG:Dev.Team Confirms what I was thinking. If there is information to the contrary, I'd be interested in reading it.

Last edited: