Official A/V Thread

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Okay, I know this won't be that helpful, but get a different brand of headphones, get some Audio Technicas, Sennheisers or Shures. I have gone through THREE sets of Skullcandy earbuds in the last 2.5 ears, shit is overpriced garbage.

I have a pair of $10 Ink'd bass-buds from like 2009 that I just used this morning, (almost every morning actually) never had a problem with them.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Yep, the Tripath stuff.

You really should pick up one of them. I have a couple of them and they really sound fantastic. I use mine with the computer. Even the cheapo $50ish ones sound great.

I think I have decided on the integrated amp. I am leaning towards a NAD C 316BEE. No sub out or bass management, but I can live without (and work around) it. I have been a NAD fan since the 80's and this looks to be a great entry level integrated amp. Stereophile, The Absolute Sound and CNET (Steve Guttenburg) have all raved about this units sound quality and value for money.

I may pick one up just for the heck of it to play around with.

NAD is a great value. Good solid products at reasonable price points. I've always liked NAD and what they bring to the table.

so i was looking for some side speakers for a 5.1 and came across this deal psb b4 $179 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_760IMGB4C/PSB-Image-B4-Dark-Cherry.html. I actually never heard these before but everything i read make it seem like a good deal. I may end up using them as fronts if they sound good.

Fantastic speakers; you will most likely be pleased with them. Be sure to check out their web page and locate the dealer nearest you. PSB is changing their product lineup. My local dealer has slashed the price on all PSB speakers; everything is selling at deep discounts in order to make room for the new lines.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
hey neo ash are you still using anti-cables? have yu tried anything elses since you first used them?

Neo Ash

hey neo ash are you still using anti-cables? have yu tried anything elses since you first used them?

I’m still using the Anti-Cables. My cable journey has been an interesting one. The first few years I was into HiFi, I wasn’t hung up on cables. As long as it worked correctly I was OK. Then I went down the slippery slope that is exotic cables. The next expensive cable was always better than the previous cheaper one. Then I started to question whether or not spending a $1K or more for 5’ or so of speaker cables was worth it. Was I crazy? The Anti-Cables proved to be a good sanity check. They have been great and are of course more civilized than plain old zip cords. Maybe I have come full circle? Just be aware there’s a lot of hype around high-end cables that you should question before getting sucked in too deep.

As stated a few posts back, I’m doing some work on the HT setup. I’ll most likely be using Belden cable for the in-wall speaker runs; probably the 5T00UP. I wanted to go with Canare, but it’s not in-wall rated and I want everything to be up to code. Mogami also has in-wall UL certified cables, that I might also give a try. I’m using some Mogami XLR cables in my 2-ch and have been pleased. Therefore the Mogani cables are definaltly a consideration. We’ll see. Canare is also another brand that represents a good bang for the buck. I’m currently using Canare 4s11 cables with my HT speakers.

Belden, Canare, and Mogani are used extensively in recording studios around the world. In my opinion that says a lot. There's no need to hype them or rub snake oil on them. They are quality cables that not only sound good, but meet the needs of professional audio engineers.

Last edited:

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Anyone have recomendation on power conditioners ? Im looking for cheaper the better. stepping up from a surge protector.

Neo Ash

Anyone have recomendation on power conditioners ? Im looking for cheaper the better. stepping up from a surge protector.

Do you have a price range??? Are you hung up on looks and need a pretty box? Until you spend some money you'll just be getting a glorified power strip. Like cables, there is a lot of hype surrounding power conditioning. Most people are not aware of the fact that many of the "high-end" power conditioners are not UL certified/tested.

I was also shopping for a power conditioner recently. I wanted something small and compact to use with my amps. I also didn't need or want anything with a lot of outlets; two is enough for when I'm using monoblocks, and of course enough when I've got a stereo amp in the rotation. I had my choices narrowed down to two or three, then I went in a totally different direction. I originally planned to go with a Richard Grey 400 Pro ($800), PS Audio PowerBase ($995 and would need two for when using monoblocks if used as an amp stand), or a Running Springs Elgar ($1100). I scrapped plans to go with any of those three and purchased a Furman AC-215A ($200). I've been very pleased with the Furman it has a nice slim profile and is unobtrusive. Also, it gives me two outlets so I'm covered whether I'm using one of my stereo amps or have swapped around to some mono amps. I have used Furman products years ago when I was doing proaudio/recording as a hobby. If you shop around you can get good deals on Furman stuff at proaudio shops; discounts are common. Also if you shop hard you can find great deals online. Look for their products that feature their SMP, LiFT, and E.V.S. technologies and you'll have a quality surge/conditioner without all the BS. I would recommend the Furman PST-8 for your current and future needs. It has a retail price of around $210; however, I have seen them online for around $100.

Below is a pic of how I setup my Furman 215. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but so far I'm pleased with it.

furman.JPG

Last edited:

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
well i usually tend to go for looks lol, im a sucker for pretty displays. $300 was my absolute max, $200 is about right. Not many pro audio shops around here and the one ive been to has high end stuff.

my main use would be for a 50" tv plus my avr and a ps3. If it had extra outlets other consoles would be plugged in. I live in a apartment so i dont think my setup would be getting bigger.

I would like something that i could power everything off when not in use.

Neo Ash

well i usually tend to go for looks lol, im a sucker for pretty displays. $300 was my absolute max, $200 is about right. Not many pro audio shops around here and the one ive been to has high end stuff.

my main use would be for a 50" tv plus my avr and a ps3. If it had extra outlets other consoles would be plugged in. I live in a apartment so i dont think my setup would be getting bigger.

I would like something that i could power everything off when not in use.

The Furman I suggested has a master power switch. Because you're using an AVR and not separates, there is no need for power up/down delays. I also like Panamax products. Their MR4000 is around $200 and looks sexier. The "pretty" Furman's start at around your max price and go up from there; you're just paying extra for looks. Honestly, if it were me I'd go with that PST-8. It also has room for wall warts which is good for older game systems. You don't need to have a proaudio dealer near by; I purchased the one I have from a dealer on eBay.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
The Furman I suggested has a master power switch. Because you're using an AVR and not separates, there is no need for power up/down delays. I also like Panamax products. Their MR4000 is around $200 and looks sexier. The "pretty" Furman's start at around your max price and go up from there; you're just paying extra for looks. Honestly, if it were me I'd go with that PST-8. It also has room for wall warts which is good for older game systems. You don't need to have a proaudio dealer near by; I purchased the one I have from a dealer on eBay.

I have the APC H15 that's right in the $200-300 range that Icb is looking for. In general, I dig APC power related products for office use and probably have a sense of brand loyalty to them even though they don't come up as a go-to brand for a HT/Stereo set-ups.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=H15BLK

Don't mind the retail price... should be at Amazon and other sites for about $250. It's built like a tank, weighs a ton but does the job.

Neo Ash

No problems with APC Teddy. I've used a boat load of APC stuff over the years without a problem.

I'll be installing an APC G5BLK in my new HT rack. I'd needed something rack mountable, but most importantly the ability to have multiple outlet delays to accommodate the pre-pro and staggering the powering up/down for three power amps. That particular model also includes feet for non-rack mounted setups.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I'll be installing an APC G5BLK in my new HT rack. I'd needed something rack mountable, but most importantly the ability to have multiple outlet delays to accommodate the pre-pro and staggering the powering up/down for three power amps. That particular model also includes feet for non-rack mounted setups.

Just checked it out and I like. Love the slim design (which is something my H15 can't say... takes up a little too much space for my liking) and I dig the power port up front. Surprisingly enough, I'd totally use that as we'll often hook up the family camcorder after a day's worth of adventure. Would be nice to have something so conveniently close to charge during playback.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Hey guys I need help please.

I have a Pioneer SA 730.

Long story short.
When I turned it on, the left speaker blew up and smelled like burnt rubber.

When I tried with other speakers that I knew work ed. I found out that there is not output from the left channel.

Is it repairable ?

Neo Ash

Hey guys I need help please.

I have a Pioneer SA 730.

Long story short.
When I turned it on, the left speaker blew up and smelled like burnt rubber.

When I tried with other speakers that I knew work ed. I found out that there is not output from the left channel.

Is it repairable ?

Below is the reply for your thread. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...er-Sound-Amp&p=3736919&viewfull=1#post3736919

Everything is repairable. The question is, is it worth the cost? Remove the cover and check for a blown fuse. Most likely that is not that case as the problem obviously damaged the speaker. Beyond that, unless you or a friend has the skills necessary to repair it, that unit is not worth it. Expect to pay $65 or more per hour for a technician to work on your amp. It looks like that model in used condition goes for $20 to $30. Typically, when you have a bad channel it has to be component level rebuilt. That is expensive and time consuming. Based on your description, I would say that the channel simply went out. The blown speaker was likely due to either clipping when the channel failed or excessive DC current traveled down the speaker cable, zapping the speaker. When clipping, the amplifier is putting out 3 to 4 times its rated power into the drivers instantaneously. While on the subject of clipping, this is why it’s best to have more power than you need. Just be sure to use the extra power with good common sense and the amp will never be stressed to the point of clipping.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
@ Neo Ash

What is your opinion of the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 and B&W 685 bookshelf speakers?

I am thinking of both of these speakers for my game room. I can probably find the 685 local to listen to, but no dice on the Wharfedale's.

While I am long time fan of Klipsch, I am thinking of returning my unopened Reference RF-62 II towers and going with something different.

My budget is $800 to $1000 for a pair of high quality bookshelves.

I was looking at the Golden Ear Aon 3's (or even the 2's) and I do have a local dealer for those.

Important to me: Dynamics, reasonable bass extension, well balanced midrange and ability to get loud (on rare occasion) and still stay composed. I want a speaker that one minute can be going balls to the wall with rock music and the next minute can dig into some classical Wagner or Bizet.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You can get a sick deal on LSA .5 or 1 Bookshelf/Monitors (in black) from http://www.underwoodhifi.com/2012/05/lsa-group.html currently. They are in your price range and well regarded.. Dude that runs that site is oldschool though. Best just to call him and let him know what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Neo Ash

@ Neo Ash

What is your opinion of the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 and B&W 685 bookshelf speakers?

I am thinking of both of these speakers for my game room. I can probably find the 685 local to listen to, but no dice on the Wharfedale's.

While I am long time fan of Klipsch, I am thinking of returning my unopened Reference RF-62 II towers and going with something different.

My budget is $800 to $1000 for a pair of high quality bookshelves.

I was looking at the Golden Ear Aon 3's (or even the 2's) and I do have a local dealer for those.

Important to me: Dynamics, reasonable bass extension, well balanced midrange and ability to get loud (on rare occasion) and still stay composed. I want a speaker that one minute can be going balls to the wall with rock music and the next minute can dig into some classical Wagner or Bizet.

Suggestions?

I know you really like Klipsch, why not stick with it? The other speakers you are looking at are very different in design. Honestly, Klipsch with maybe the exception of HSU, are a couple of the only affordable options for horn loaded speakers. The majority of horn loaded designs, such as those by Acapella or the Vox Olympian speaker by Living Voice, range from fairly expensive to extremely expensive.

You mentioned Wharfedale, B&W, and Golden Ear. Here’s my brutally honest opinion. The Golden Ear speakers are overrated. I have only listened to the larger floor standing speakers, so I cannot comment on the bookshelf speakers you are considering. My time with the Golden Ears was brief and I have had no desire to revisit them. What is interesting is all the large page advertisements they purchase in various audio publications, coupled with the fact that I have only come across glowing reviews. Do you see where I’m going with this… Now for B&W; I almost purchased some 805s (this was before the 805d and before they started selling in Best Buy:oh_no:). I felt it was a great bookshelf when paired with tube equipment to tame the highs. Just prior to purchase I moved to a new house with a larger listening room. Therefore, I went a different direction for my primary speakers. I’ve listened to the entire B&W line and didn’t really care for the 600 series; I feel that there is a better price to performance ratio to be had elsewhere. I auditioned some Wharfedale Diamond series speakers at a hifi show. I was very impressed with the top to bottom performance. It was one of the few items that I wished was available for onsite purchase at the show. Of the three, personally, I’d go with the Wharfedale. Just know it most likely will present a more smooth laid back sound than you are accustomed to.

Here comes your curve ball…..
I have been very impressed with Focal speakers over the years. Check out the 706. They are easy to drive and should offer nicely extended highs.

As always, visit some local dealer and try out as many different speakers as possible. Buy what sounds best to you.

You can get a sick deal on LSA .5 or 1 Bookshelf/Monitors (in black) from http://www.underwoodhifi.com/2012/05/lsa-group.html currently. They are in your price range and well regarded.. Dude that runs that site is oldschool though. Best just to call him and let him know what you're looking for.

That’s an excellent recommendation terry. Those are great speakers at all the various price points; well-crafted and good sounding. Those closeout prices are fantastic. I have spent some time with Walter, the owner of Underwood HiFi. Until a couple of years ago he was in the Atlanta area. He is a very honest and knowledgeable person; he can offer solid advise over the phone. He’s defiantly a good person to work with.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
While researching bookshelves some more, I ran across Monitor Audio. Found a local dealer and auditioned the Bronze BX2 speakers.

I bought them. :D

photo%25201.JPG

It came down between the Paradigm Mini Monitors v7 and the Monitor Audio's. Both very similar, but the Paradigms were a tad bit more forward.

In home impressions to follow.

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Monitor Audio is very nice. My first "real" speakers were BX1's eight-ish years ago. They've upgraded them since though. After those I had pair of Silver 1 bookshelf speakers.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
4. Would like a subwoofer out and good bass management. This will probably be the hardest request to satisfy.
It's better to have two subwoofers than one (i.e., stereo subwoofers). Electrostatic speakers are better than dynamic, but they're more expensive, and harder to set up.

Serious. You can get good Sennheiser's for about $85-100, less if you go used, and I've seen the prices on some of the Skullcandy headphones, Sennheiser can be in your price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...9&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+black+hd+280+pro
Skullcandy is a novelty (heavy-bass) consumer brand. Which type of headphone would it have to be- closed or open-back? The HD 280 Pro is a closed-back design, so it doesn't leak sound. Open-back headphones tend to sound better.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
It's better to have two subwoofers than one (i.e., stereo subwoofers). Electrostatic speakers are better than dynamic, but they're more expensive, and harder to set up.
There's no such thing as stereo sub bass. Low frequencies are non directional. You are doubling the cone area which will yield a 3db boost.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
There's no such thing as stereo sub bass. Low frequencies are non directional. You are doubling the cone area which will yield a 3db boost.
From what I have read, low frequences are less directional than high frequencies. There can be low-frequency interchannel phase differences in true stereo recordings. I'm not an expert in these things though.

Last edited: