Emulation status

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Nice. I wish someone would attempt to rip the 2D sprites from SS64 for super portraits and the Fatal Flash/victory screen. Awesome artwork.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
These dont need to be ripped, I already have all of them (SS64 ink arts that is) in official sketchbook scans.
However it would be nice to rip background artworks (but for that I need some tool to enable/disable different sprite layers in game)

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
In latest MAME update, RoadsEdge & XRally both display 3D graphics. Samsho games still dont, but I think they will soon (well if dev that does 3D updates for HNG64 games already figured 3D graphics for 2 other games)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I find it interesting that there is no progress on the best game on the H64, Buriki One.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
From what I have been told by devs, they dont have complete idea how Buriki works, and those 3D graphics of it MAME displays right now are available via some hack, that doesnt completely represents all functions of game

Deuce

Don't forget that no one's even touched the sound yet on these, guys.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah, MAME HNG64 games are sound-less for now, which sucks but not too much for online play, since there is a practice of listening music during that, while lowering sound of game itself. I do that quite often at 2DF

Deuce

So where is this AJG fellow's updated driver, then? I see no links on his page.

SSS

neo retired
wow, that was kind of fast. guess they finally ran out of other hardware to mess with and the hyper is finally getting the attention it deserves. I'm not a dev, but I figure sound emulation is probably cake compared to getting the graphics to display properly.

Deuce

I'm guessing he is still playing around with it and it hasn't been submitted yet.

He shouldn't tease with comments like, "I'd love to see some screen grabs if anyone manages to get anywhere in it!" then! ;P

wow, that was kind of fast. guess they finally ran out of other hardware to mess with and the hyper is finally getting the attention it deserves. I'm not a dev, but I figure sound emulation is probably cake compared to getting the graphics to display properly.

If memory serves, the sound hardware was basically a high-end (for the time) Gravis PC sound card.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
All devs post object of their current work at their blogs, and those things appear in MAME releases afterwards, so basically it should be in next MAME update (last one was Dec 31, 2009)

SS64 screens from him (posted at mameworld)
210386-0005.png

210385-0002.png

210384-0001.png

It seems P1 characters get palette problem, but I think 2D devs should get workaround soon, since they fixed previous palette problems very fast.

Deuce

It seems P1 characters get palette problem, but I think 2D devs should get workaround soon, since they fixed previous palette problems very fast.

Since the P2 palettes are all spot-on, it's probably something as simple as couple of offsets being wrong. Of course, finding them can still be a bitch to deal with.

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
It also took my attention that while arena textures are absent (save for backdrops), you can still see the fence texture on last screen. Maybe they will find a way to fix those textures too

Sklathill

n00b
If memory serves, the sound hardware was basically a high-end (for the time) Gravis PC sound card.

An AMD Interwave chip handled audio duties. Fantastic chip with great audio capability. 32 channels of CD-quality audio awesomeness. I had a Gravis Ultrasound PnP with an 8 meg DIMM which was basically the HNG64's audio subsystem...

Deuce

An AMD Interwave chip handled audio duties. Fantastic chip with great audio capability. 32 channels of CD-quality audio awesomeness. I had a Gravis Ultrasound PnP with an 8 meg DIMM which was basically the HNG64's audio subsystem...

I knew it would take that, of all things, to draw you out of hiding, since you were the one who told me about it in the first place. Good to see you, Vince. :)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Did you know that Gonzaga sucks?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Pic 1: Zombiemaru
Pic 2: Kabukimaru
Pic 3: Sougetsu, as colored by Mitchell Corp.